UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

But if their CEs were failing why would they release them...
they did try but they must have not sold. Bar Overlord I much prefer them just focusing on SEs as SE only is better than CE only which is why I don’t own Danmachi or Food Wars or any of that year of mangas stuff

The final straw for me was Manga screwing their own theatrical release of MFKZ by going dub-only, and then cancelling the physical release that would have been dual audio for a ******* digital only release.

I won't be even considering buying Magus Bride Part One until I see Part Two in people's hands.

To be honest, I tend to take that approach with any UK release, regardless of distributor.

Books too, to be honest. I’m still sore about a book trilogy that the author abandoned after two books leaving many mysteries unresolved. I prefer complete stories.

That, and with long-form stories or adaptations of ongoing manga/LNs I even get a bit hesitant about committing to the first season of a show until a second season is underway.
Too many series I fell in I’ve wth that just got abandoned partway through. Whether by the distributor or the animators.

I miss Jerome on the Manga Twitter. Those were the days.

Me too.

I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but I am the kind of person who genuinely (and strongly) appreciates honesty to the point of bluntness.
It may not be professional but sometimes plain facts just aren’t. And appreciate facts above most other things.

Jerome answered a few questions of mine, whether directly or that other people asked but I wanted to know about, in a method I could accept
No BS. No sugarcoating. No trying to spin obsiouks corporate BS into an unlikely positive light. Just “Here’s how it is!”
I didn’t always like the answers but I accepted them.

Whereas diplomatic answers where company PR types try to explain something by talking around a situation instead of addressing it get me livid and have lost several companies (in different industries) my respect over the years.
Becuase they were being 100% professional, but not 100% straight with people.

In fairness to Jerome, Sailor Moon in the UK is a huge money pit, MVM got burned on that one (i know it was the DIC dub) it very nearly cost us MVM, so to release it now would be a huge gamble.
If memory serves, the UK TV exposure it received on GMTV also did it no good and it was canned and this was during the high point of UK TV anime, So if you think it extreme for Jerome to say what he did about Sailor moon, I can't blame him.

Manga had a good run of CEs recently too (Food Wars S1, Amagi, Danmachi, MLS), it’s just a shame they aren’t doing any more of them. I admit that I don’t buy much from them compared to other UK companies, but I do buy their recurring releases like the Shippuden collections.
Those were perfect. Didn't reflect the price it wasn't overly expensive and we didn't get a bunch of frivolous crap. Art cards, poster and cardboard slip. Perfect what CE should be.

I still don't get the CE mentality fans have. Sentai's Food wars one was ridiculous in comparison. I see some Fans often complain when there isn't a CE/LE when they should just be grateful they're getting the show. For example I didn't care if Konohana Kitan got a fancy pants release I just wanted to own it.

In fairness to Jerome, Sailor Moon in the UK is a huge money pit, MVM got burned on that one (i know it was the DIC dub) it very nearly cost us MVM, so to release it now would be a huge gamble.
If memory serves, the UK TV exposure it received on GMTV also did it no good and it was canned and this was during the high point of UK TV anime, So if you think it extreme for Jerome to say what he did about Sailor moon, I can't blame him.
One people love the show so to be extreme to those people who love the show its like trapping your balls in a door is an insult. And MVMs release of sailor moon was very flawed too it didn't get in major toy and supermarkets so a kid could spot and ask their parent and dub only means "us" hardcore people would never buy it in a million years it didnt appeal to anyone. And the industry has changed in 20 years as people love to tell me I dont think its unfair for people to ask for it again especially with the kind of resurgence Crystal has made it. Kodansha are giving us £20 manga CEs it must be popular. I think without BBFC costs we would have had it by now.

Those were perfect. Didn't reflect the price it wasn't overly expensive and we didn't get a bunch of frivolous crap. Art cards, poster and cardboard slip. Perfect what CE should be.

I still don't get the CE mentality fans have. Sentai's Food wars one was ridiculous in comparison. I see some Fans often complain when there isn't a CE/LE when they should just be grateful they're getting the show. For example I didn't care if Konohana Kitan got a fancy pants release I just wanted to own it.
Really their CEs weren't CE that was my problem they were awful, I dont know what they were. They were crap the slipcover were flimsy and the slipcover having as the same art as the box drove me mad which is why I dont own any. And 2 years later Danmachi is still £40... above ALs obscene CE prices. And folded posters deserve a special place in hell (ALs Geass and Thunderbolt deserve mentioning for that) Also another new trend I'm sick off is poster in CE or as added bonus with how many extra posters I got in the past two years ill have no wall space if i wanted to put them all up please stop.

Last edited:
Really their CEs weren't CE that was my problem they were awful, I dont know what they were. They were crap the slipcover were flimsy and the slipcover having as the same art as the box drove me mad which is why I dont own any. And 2 years later Danmachi is still £40... above ALs obscene CE prices.
They were proper chipboard boxes, all O-cards are flimsy, who cares if it's different art if it's hidden anyway.
Most of us bought Danmachi for £14.26.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kodansha are giving us £20 manga CEs it must be popular.

Not even remotely relevant.
Books are not DVDs or blu-rays.

Not restricted by region code. No VAT to worry about. No BBFC to worry about. One product for the US that can be freely and legally exported for sale in the UK as an afterthought.

They were proper chipboard boxes, all O-cards are flimsy, who cares if it's different art if it's hidden anyway.
Most of us bought Danmachi for £14.26.
Quoting and buying a release with a price glitch is the problem. A price glitch does not make something good value. I also make clear I only like O cards as it allows me to have two pieces of artwork. Those plastic ones are worst ALs ASV you can see the glue of the seam in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even remotely relevant.
Books are not DVDs or blu-rays.

Not restricted by region code. No VAT to worry about. No BBFC to worry about. One product for the US that can be freely and legally exported for sale in the UK as an afterthought.
If a book even if UK is an afterthought people dont have to stock it and it proves the franchise is still popular that's my point.

Back