UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

It is very strange.

My first thought was that there must have been some kind of serious technical/quality problem with it - but Madman have been so cryptic and vague about the whole thing.

Hopefully Manga will shed some light on what’s going on. Either way, I’ll probably end up buying the US release sometime down the line.

I'm guessing there's some kind of legal dispute involved. There may be some party involved with the Card Captor franchise that feels they weren't consulted over the Australian licensing. If Manga's release is sublicensed from Madman, that would affect theirs too. Presumably Manga have been threatened with some sort of legal action if they continue to sell it, hence the recall. Perhaps the removal of any mention of ever having licensed the title in the first place is also a demand of the complainant.

In any case, I feel sorry for Manga. They've taken a punt on a title from a franchise that's never really gained a lot of traction over here, but have been kicked squarely in the teeth for it. Imagine the costs involved: "licensing", marketing, manufacture, distribution...

And now presumably further costs from recall.

I feel releasing it here with all the no release or even legal way to watch the original (especially now CR has changed its US only loopholes) was a really really really stupid decision and I don’t mind Clear card, I wouldn’t be surprised if low sales is a factor as well.

I feel releasing it here with all the no release or even legal way to watch the original (especially now CR has changed its US only loopholes) was a really really really stupid decision and I don’t mind Clear card, I wouldn’t be surprised if low sales is a factor as well.
When did CR change its USA only policy?

Is this the same Sony/Funimation that came runner up best publisher on our end of year awards? I'd be regretting that choice if I'd voted for them.
You know all this proves they no longer publish anime. And they came second cos of the titles no other company came close to having as many big hitters which is why they got arrogant and thought they would work.

Back