UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I actually saw a copy of Summer Wars for sale on eBay, something wasn't quite right about it though....

s-l1600.jpg

I assume it has a reversible cover and they've just stuck it on the wrong way around, but weird that someone already has a copy if it's been delayed like 2 months.
I'm assuming it has been delayed because of that issue with the cover.

God damn so no soul eater blu ray now....that mean someone else can pick it up? Surely if they have the license it should not be a problem?

God damn so no soul eater blu ray now....that mean someone else can pick it up? Surely if they have the license it should not be a problem?

MangaUK stlil hold the license to Soul Eater so no nobody can just appear to do Blu-ray

The issue is the cost of the BD master is too high for expected sales.

Just import it from the US instead (£28.59 atm if you buy it from Amazon US through Amazon UK), Manga UK can **** off if they want to keep hogging the license without giving it a proper release. To continue having it out on DVD-only is disgraceful and they should just give the license to somebody else who actually cares about the show (and decent anime releases in general).

Just import it from the US instead (£28.59 atm if you buy it from Amazon US through Amazon UK), Manga UK can **** off if they want to keep hogging the license without giving it a proper release. To continue having it out on DVD-only is disgraceful and they should just give the license to somebody else who actually cares about the show (and decent anime releases in general).

I'm not a big manga supporter, and I'm known for actively avoiding their releases.

I'm saying your being a tad unfair here. If from the data gathered from pre-orders, and previous products have told them that the cost vs sale ratio doesn't make getting the BD masters viable then there is nothing else to say. It just won't sell in the UK, and the only people we have to blame for that are the fans who either don't buy Blu-rays, or just don't buy physical anime in general.

Telling a company to "**** off" because they don't want to do things that will put them at a loss is a tad harsh, and honestly uncalled for.

I'm not a big manga supporter, and I'm known for actively avoiding their releases.

I'm saying your being a tad unfair here. If from the data gathered from pre-orders, and previous products have told them that the cost vs sale ratio doesn't make getting the BD masters viable then there is nothing else to say. It just won't sell in the UK, and the only people we have to blame for that are the fans who either don't buy Blu-rays, or just don't buy physical anime in general.

Telling a company to "**** off" because they don't want to do things that will put them at a loss is a tad harsh, and honestly uncalled for.

I see it from another point of view and I’m also not a manga supporter. IMO the **** off goes from the company to all the people that keep importing all these years from US/AU and now they want a proper Uk release. You can’t have it all.

Last edited:
I see it from another point of view and I’m also not a manga supporter. IMO the **** off goes from the company to all the people that keep importing all these years from US and now they want a proper Uk release. You can’t have it all.
Its a personal opinion, There's no need for bad language though. I think any release that gets cancelled can tick people off.

I see it from another point of view and I’m also not a manga supporter. IMO the **** off goes from the company to all the people that keep importing all these years from US and now they want a proper Uk release. You can’t have it all.

You do realise that Soul Eater has been on BD in the US and Australia for years? People importing titles that have a confirmed UK release is one thing but can you really blame people for importing a BD that was released in 2012 with no hint it was coming here until just a few months back? It's absurd.

I actually saw a copy of Summer Wars for sale on eBay, something wasn't quite right about it though....

s-l1600.jpg

I assume it has a reversible cover and they've just stuck it on the wrong way around, but weird that someone already has a copy if it's been delayed like 2 months.
Spotted in HMV today: a copy of the Hosoda Collection version of Wolf Children, complete with reversible cover the wrong way around, as in @Buzzkillington's Summer Wars pic. How in the hell did that slip through the net? o_O

It's not a mistake, it's meant to be like that. Why are people whining about it? Be grateful to get a more expensive re-release of it with a fancy slipcover! Anime fans are so entitled, just throw it away, you don't have to buy it etc etc

... On a serious note I wonder if it will get fixed. I highly doubt they'll recall but I wonder if an alternative 'fixed' cover replacement will be made available

It's not a mistake, it's meant to be like that. Why are people whining about it? Be grateful to get a more expensive re-release of it with a fancy slipcover! Anime fans are so entitled, just throw it away, you don't have to buy it etc etc

... On a serious note I wonder if it will get fixed. I highly doubt they'll recall but I wonder if an alternative 'fixed' cover replacement will be made available
What is there to fix? Anyone stupid enough to buy these overpriced rereleases that are identical but with a slipcover deserve to be screwed over. Manga could've at least used Funi's masters. But no, instead it's DVD bonus features as per usual.

I'm surprised they got the special edition treatment anyway, I didn't realise they were that popular over here. Not a big fan myself as they feel like they're trying to be ghibli films but have erratic pacing and tonal inconsistencies. (plus weird girl on wolf action...)

What is there to fix? Anyone stupid enough to buy these overpriced rereleases that are identical but with a slipcover deserve to be screwed over. Manga could've at least used Funi's masters. But no, instead it's DVD bonus features as per usual.
*Ahem* I'll be buying 'em (well, two of them) — for an upgrade to BD and for the booklets.

*Ahem* I'll be buying 'em (well, two of them) — for an upgrade to BD and for the booklets.
I'm getting all of them. I don't have them (hadn't even seen WC and SW until SyFy showed them earlier this year) and for the booklet.
I'm guessing the 2 are TGWLTT and WC. I wasn't going to get SW at first, but with Zoom 25% off code I got it for under £15.
Anyone know if the Funi The Boy and The Beast version will work on the PS4?

Back