UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

What you talking about little busters is a new show

New to the UK if you don't stream, maybe, but old news in Japan and even the US. Back when all releases were years behind fans would constantly demand faster turnaround times from distributors. Now we have those faster turnarounds, nobody notices them or appreciates the fact that there are holdbacks (most obvious in the US) or restrictions with release format or content that we never had to deal with in the old days when all of the stuff we were buying was already half a decade out of date.

I'm not moaning that Little Busters is coming out so late - better late than never! But it's obvious that My Love Story is still considered current content in Japan, and that means being unable to slide it into the market as a mainstream budget-friendly title right away.

Faster releases are what most of the fandom was begging for back in the day, claiming they'd happily pay twice as much to get things when they were still relevant. So it's a bit awkward watching people reject it when the companies try. For me the fact that it's not a super-quick release is massively offset against the genre consideration. Shoujo has always been devalued in the UK even more than in other markets, and that's a crying shame.

R

Tops I've paid for a none collects edition 2 core was about £40 and it was psycho pass season 1 bluray I also got stains gate for a similar price

Blimey, that Blu-ray Limited Edition of My Love Story is expensive. :eek:

It's only three discs, so there must be some other reason for...

Oh, I see now: a folded-up poster and five 'art cards'.

03-313959.jpg

Yeah, makes perfect sense.
o_O?!?!?
If it works for AL... :p

We are now in the situation where £50 is acceptable for a 2 cour show. o_O I need to find that magic money tree that people seem to be talking allot about these days but I will say that both food Wars is looking better priced.

People need to appreciate that not everyone has the same budget and I think its right to question price, it's not entitled, I only have a limited budget to spend on anime each month that's just the way it is. Manga always excelled at cheaper releases and I appreciate the value they offered in that regard but at the same time If I don't think a release is value for money then I'll say it regardless of if people agree with me or not.

AL sets look better and don't remind you hat you are in fact buying the blu-ray version, also removable bbfc sticker and no company logo on front and back.

We are now in the situation where £50 is acceptable for a 2 cour show.
Not that I'm getting in involved in the discussion, just trying to truncate it a bit, and you're totally fair in saying £50 is a lot of money.

But I think the point that other folks are trying to make is; when was the time that we got new (niche genre) 2 cour shows on Blu-ray for cheaper?

(Just to note it's also available to watch on Crunchyroll which is a helluva deal (not to open that can of worms))

AL sets look better and don't remind you hat you are in fact buying the blu-ray version, also removable bbfc sticker and no company logo on front and back.
So take off the O-card from Manga's deluxe editions and enjoy the clean artbox. What's the problem?

Not that I'm getting in involved in the discussion, just trying to truncate it a bit, and you're totally fair in saying £50 is a lot of money.

But I think the point that other folks are trying to make is; when was the time that we got new (niche genre) 2 cour shows on Blu-ray for cheaper?

(Just to note it's also available to watch on Crunchyroll which is a helluva deal (not to open that can of worms))

Both Food Wars and the Index sequels are retailing cheaper. All be it Index is an older show so won't comand and the same price. Also it's logical that two cour shows cost more however how much more is open to discussion.

I'm guessing My love Story was an expensive licence. But it's still a bit steep for what it is but that's just my opinion.

Here's something I don't get we've got Ushio and Tora "collectors edition" 39 episode finish airing in 2016 retailer price £59.99 then there's My Love Story "collectors edition" 24 episodes finished airing in 2015 retailer price £69.99 what the duck am I missing something or is there a reason why a older more niche show with 15 less episodes is worth £10 more and don't tell me it's because of the shity poster and art cards

Ushio and Tora is a shounen action series which is the hottest genre around in the market, and it's also quite cheaply made. Niche shows sell a fraction of mainstream shows (a sad fact any way you slice the market) and that's why Ushio will sell more than MLS in spite of it being much more forgettable a show.

Technically Ushio and Tora is also a remake so there may be some older fans interested in it based on memories of 90s fandom. Probably a long shot. I suspect it was just a relatively cheap license.

It would probably sell even more sliced up into parts (which is the real issue) but all-in-one releases are easier to collect and stock. The numbers would seem way less shocking for those on tight budgets (including younger fans, a core demographic for shounen action fare) if the sets were split though.

Having said that I think they could have dropped the extras from MLS and shaved off a few pounds without anyone caring too much.

R

I suspect the poster and art cards was more of an effort to add a little more perceived value to it. It's a wild guess but I'd say that whoever they licensed it off of was pretty strict on the pricing they wanted, especially if it's Japan as they really have no clue how anime works in the rest of the world and stubbornly refuse to get one.

I think Mangamatsu has become the classic villain in this because as I said earlier, it's ok when AL do it (£35 rrp on each of the 4 parts of SAO 2, £100+ 'ultimate' editions etc) but not Mangamatsu. People complain releases are threadbare then complain when they're not unless they're cobbled together with that magical boner inducing material known as chipboard. Somehow the use of it grants a license to add £10+ on to the value (my local Travis Perkins will happily give you a bigger off cut for nothing.)

I don't think they can really win nowadays no matter what they do. If we drop to a 2 anime company in the UK then things will get much worse as both AL and MVM are pretty small companies that already bite off more than they can chew.

I think Manganimatsu's problem is that they don't tend to be personally invested in their releases. I'm not saying they don't put as much work in because I'm sure the team there are all run just as ragged as anyone else and it's not fair to insinuate otherwise, but there's a definite disconnect between what I feel when I'm looking at a Manganimatsu release and an AL one.

The Manga team are salesmen, selling a product to people they are not. They have a firm idea of their target market (and have said as much on many occasions) - geeky, teen-to-twenty-something guys without too much disposable income. The kind of market where adding a couple of extra quid onto a release might not be make or break but actual CEs are a very hard sell. This is abundantly clear in Jerome's anguished complaints about how we ask for something but then don't buy it - he's trying his best to understand 'us', but he isn't going to pretend he's one of us. He genuinely enjoys geeky things but he doesn't 'get' why we don't want BD banners on our art boxes and random chapter stops on our discs; this stuff is Product to him, not his core hobby (and as Sakamoto showed, he doesn't need to obey the same restrictions we do in order to partake). As someone outside his core demographic in pretty much every way, I'm not being targeted and don't buy his releases. I'm not the kind of person who can be swayed by a folded poster and a couple of art cards, but whatever research his team did apparently came up with the idea that as serpantino said, someone out there will see those goodies and believe they're getting a slightly better release.

(I feel a bit sorry for Manganimatsu in this debate; I'm on their side but one of their biggest critics...)

With AL, Andrew successfully comes across as a crazy fan releasing shows he personally likes even when it makes little commercial sense (my apologies to Andrew, but The Tatami Galaxy is one of the best shows ever and I mean it affectionately). They cater to all kinds of demographics willy-nilly instead of shutting more than half the market out with their marketing talk. That personal touch may not rake in much cash, but it does earn a few respect points. Andrew fundamentally knows how to make things fans want because he too lusts after chipboard and an end to glitchy PAL conversions, and that trickles down through the company. If he releases discs with bad chapter stops, we'll all go nuts at him and he'll ensure that they get proper chapter stops; we don't expect to still be moaning about the same thing year in, year out. If his company makes a bad release, he'll take responsibility for it instead of venting about how his own customers are all selfish nutjobs who don't know how easy they have it. If we ask for special editions, he'll say why they don't make sense instead of impotently subtweeting about how fans should **** his ****. I'm a grown up and I don't tend to give my money to people who unreasonably disrespect me, so I've come to view the two companies in very different lights.

Manga doesn't have that same level of freedom or craziness at the top end - it's a more traditional business and functions more as a distributor for other markets than an independent anime company able to put its own content together on a regular basis. Even if Jerome agrees with us on a personal level about some of the persistent Manga failures, it would appear that he's unable to make a business case for catering to our requests over just blindly continuing with the way things are currently done and turning a profit. That's probably not his fault. I think Manga fill an important niche in the UK because someone has to get Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh! and the like into the eager hands of people collecting those titles, and they flat out have the best distribution at that level. I do just sigh and import when they start sniffing around titles I like, though, because they currently fail to cater to me on so many levels that I've come to believe it's not worth me supporting them.

But at the end of the day I still want My Love Story to do well, because Manganimatsu's narrow demographic focus is something it would be good to break out from, and I genuinely think it's a cracking show. If it wasn't a clone of the US version I already have, I might even have bought a second copy.

R

Having seem the box art on Twitter they have actually done a good job with the look to the shows. I'm certainly interested in Amagi though I would still have preferred the Art Cards to the DVD's I can appreciate that if it came down to a choice between the two then including the DVD makes more business sense.

Jerome just said on Twitter that the DBZ Kai sets "didn't do well at all".

I would have thought they'd have been a solid seller.

I'd already bought the Funi releases ages before Manga's were announced...most people probably did the same.

Jerome just said on Twitter that the DBZ Kai sets "didn't do well at all".

I would have thought they'd have been a solid seller.

I'd already bought the Funi releases ages before Manga's were announced...most people probably did the same.

That's interesting, yeah. I guess what didn't help is that we were only a short time removed from the UK DVD releases of Z, so I guess a fair few DVD-only people were happy with the "Orange Brick" sets. Some others might have been put off the by the (correct) aspect ratio, which is an annoying fact (people don't like the black bars at the side, even though that's how 4:3 footage needs to be shown without any zooming or cutting!)

Either way it's a shame we might not get the Buu arc Kai blu-rays here, though it's not the end of the world.

Back