UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Soul Eater Not coming on BD after DVD? That seems rather backwards, although I will buy the BD. Manga need to be kinda careful, after they put it out on DVD only, I was going to just import it, which if I did, would've been a lost sale. If it was always their intent to put it out on BD, even if it was at a later date, they probably should've said something. I'll definitely be upgrading my SAO DVDs with this complete BD collection, I've been waiting for this for a while.

The Sao season 1 Blurays were the laziest release I have ever seen from manga. No extras, no chapters and the cover design changed to a crappie one half way through. I wonder if anything has been done to fix them.

The Sao season 1 Blurays were the laziest release I have ever seen from manga. No extras, no chapters and the cover design changed to a crappie one half way through. I wonder if anything has been done to fix them.

Honestly, I doubt it. The only time they reauthored for a complete collection is for Attack on Titan, when they added the extras to the BD rather than have them on a separate DVD disc, and even then, despite them reauthoring anyway, they still didn't fix the botched chapter markings or the weird sub track, that seemed to be half subtitle, half dubtitle. Granted, I watched the release with subs and didn't mind the subs, but why they didn't use Funimation's perfectly fine sub track is head scratching.

Chapters aside, all of that was down to licensor requirements and restrictions (i.e. Aniplex) rather than conscious decisions by Manga Entertainment themselves. I wouldn't expect anything much to change for this complete season collection release.

Yeah, I never bought them because I wanted the BD and the price that they were going for on release was pretty bad. A better price than Aniplex for sure, but then again the Aniplex sets would look nicer, have some extras, and not have awful authoring, so yeah. I find it hard to fathom sometimes that Manga have been in the business this long but still author their discs so badly when it comes to doing something in house.

I'm probably gonna get the BD set though, if only because I find the space it saves helpful compared to the multi part sets. Pity that price glitch was only on the DVD.

Seems the SAO blurays are being reauthored, Amazon has it listed as a 3 disc bluray set as opposed to the original 4 single volumes.

Last edited:
The thing is you only have 2 options with SAO, pay the stupid Aniplex prices and import or buy Manga's set. Unfortunately I've not got the money to be that picky. As long as its a solid release I'd buy it.

Soul Eater Not coming on BD after DVD? That seems rather backwards, although I will buy the BD. Manga need to be kinda careful, after they put it out on DVD only, I was going to just import it, which if I did, would've been a lost sale. If it was always their intent to put it out on BD, even if it was at a later date, they probably should've said something.

They've already lost one sale. I bought Funimation's Blu-ray in the last RightStuf Xmas sale. Got the Soul Eater Blu-rays from Australia years ago too.

EDIT: Question. Are we sure that One Punch Man is coming to the UK via Kaze?

Special Features:
Exclusive Rigid Box containing 84-page booklet
Includes 6 Uncut OVA Episodes
Special Interviews with the Director, Character Designer and US and Japanese Voice Cast
Interview with JAM Project - The band responsible for the Opening Theme Song, The Hero

That's more in the way of extra features than the French usually give us (they're usually hidden in the French menu with just French subtitles), and Madman are releasing it around the same time, so it could be a co-author jobbie.

Last edited:
EDIT: Question. Are we sure that One Punch Man is coming to the UK via Kaze?

That's more in the way of extra features than the French usually give us (they're usually hidden in the French menu with just French subtitles), and Madman are releasing it around the same time, so it could be a co-author jobbie.

It was co-licenced by Viz Media, Viz Media Europe and Anime Consortium Japan. So Kaze definitely holds the licence, but maybe Manga has taken it out of their hands?

It was co-licenced by Viz Media, Viz Media Europe and Anime Consortium Japan. So Kaze definitely holds the licence, but maybe Manga has taken it out of their hands?

Viz usually goes to Kaze, but there is precedent. Manga authored Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet themselves, and Kaze will have to reauthor for English assets and the added extras...

Last edited:
Yeah, I never bought them because I wanted the BD and the price that they were going for on release was pretty bad. A better price than Aniplex for sure, but then again the Aniplex sets would look nicer, have some extras, and not have awful authoring, so yeah. I find it hard to fathom sometimes that Manga have been in the business this long but still author their discs so badly when it comes to doing something in house.

I'm probably gonna get the BD set though, if only because I find the space it saves helpful compared to the multi part sets. Pity that price glitch was only on the DVD.

I did pick up Manga's SAO releases at point of release. They weren't perfect but they were significantly cheaper than the Aniplex release, they were the outside edge of what I am willing to pay for the episode count and it was a legal not-dependant-on-the-streaming/network-gods option.

As for the authoring... I never personally hit the issue with the chapter markers. But that was simply because I tend to watch the episodes start-to-finish. If I needed to hop around the episodes or wanting to skip the OP, I can see it being frustrating. But it really is one of those YMMV issues, which is probably why they can get away with it and why people don't always kick up a fuss about it.

The episodes are in the right order. The subtitles are timed properly with the audio. The discs actually play on the majority of players. Tose are all issues I've encountered or heard about with releases form Manga and others. Compared to those, "crap chaptering" is minor.
(Well, unless you have multiple episodes on a single chapter.)

I did pick up Manga's SAO releases at point of release. They weren't perfect but they were significantly cheaper than the Aniplex release, they were the outside edge of what I am willing to pay for the episode count and it was a legal not-dependant-on-the-streaming/network-gods option.

As for the authoring... I never personally hit the issue with the chapter markers. But that was simply because I tend to watch the episodes start-to-finish. If I needed to hop around the episodes or wanting to skip the OP, I can see it being frustrating. But it really is one of those YMMV issues, which is probably why they can get away with it and why people don't always kick up a fuss about it.

The episodes are in the right order. The subtitles are timed properly with the audio. The discs actually play on the majority of players. Tose are all issues I've encountered or heard about with releases form Manga and others. Compared to those, "crap chaptering" is minor.
(Well, unless you have multiple episodes on a single chapter.)

With me, Manga's authoring fails on displaying subtitles. They can't show more than two lines of subtitles at a time, so they hit a road block with signs and subs, or more than one conversation happening at a time, either missing stuff out, or flashing through them as quickly as possible, alternating them so fast that you can't read them anyway. Then there is Attack on Titan, where they didn't use Funimation's subtitle scripts, and the UK colloquialisms stuck out like a sore thumb. That's why I never bought their Ghost in the Shell Blu-ray where they did it again.

A question regarding the Season 1 boxset of Yu-Gi-Oh (Apologies if this has been addressed before);

Tell me I'm not the only one who can only ever find Season 1 as the "re-issue" where it's in one plastic case rather than the cardboard box with the smaller cases inside? I want to get the boxsets but the lack of being able find an "original" copy of Season 1 is literally the only thing stopping me buying it, because I can quite easily find the other seasons in the boxes they originaly came out in.

How come it's only Season 1 that seems to come in this "new" case anyway? And would I be able to order a copy on Amazon without having to worry about it being the newer case? Like seriously, I want the boxsets but this weird re-issue for Season 1 just baffles me.

A question regarding the Season 1 boxset of Yu-Gi-Oh (Apologies if this has been addressed before);

Tell me I'm not the only one who can only ever find Season 1 as the "re-issue" where it's in one plastic case rather than the cardboard box with the smaller cases inside? I want to get the boxsets but the lack of being able find an "original" copy of Season 1 is literally the only thing stopping me buying it, because I can quite easily find the other seasons in the boxes they originaly came out in.

How come it's only Season 1 that seems to come in this "new" case anyway? And would I be able to order a copy on Amazon without having to worry about it being the newer case? Like seriously, I want the boxsets but this weird re-issue for Season 1 just baffles me.

I believe that box is exclusive to the first print run, and as the further seasons run through their initial print, they too will be replaced by the cheaper plastic box. They did they same with Bleach.

Back