Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You Heads to UK & Ireland Theatrically in Early 2020 from Anime Limited

That strategy of releasing it only when a dub is out makes no sense from a hype perspective. Sure, there will be people waiting for a dub, but the vast majority of anime fans watch stuff subtitled, so making them wait until an optional audio track is completed is a poor move, in my opinion. Now, I'm sure there's some logic to it, however, I really like the approach Madman took of doing a subbed screening as soon as possible to capitalize on the hype.

Sure, there will be people waiting for a dub, but the vast majority of anime fans watch stuff subtitled, so making them wait until an optional audio track is completed is a poor move, in my opinion.
Agreed but it tends to be people outside of anime circles who don't see that bit - the people who still see them as cartoons. At the Showcase near me I booked for the subbed screening of Okka's Inn and there seemed to be very little sales (like under ten), so they cancelled the subbed showing and put everyone in the dub (although still under ten). People prefer english see otherwise they'd have to read subtitles. I get the impression that's the way some people see things anyway, and unfortunately they're the ones who make these kind of decisions.

Back