London Meet Success

Neon-Noir

Dandy Guy, in Space
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed my day yesterday. It was great to meet the people from the forum, and to now be able to put faces to names. Everyone seemed really friendly and open to discussion, and it was really refreshing to be able to talk to people about anime and for them to know what you're talking about for a change. It's something I don't get with my regualr friends. It really changed my perspective of a couple of shows, and thanks to hopeful_monster who persuaded me to go back over Rahxephon - I'll be doing that soon.

I think Mutsumi deserves a big clap and thank you, because he did a great job of getting everything together. He did a great a job.

I hope you're all enjoying today and that we can do something like it again in the future. Although, I spent way too much money :cry:

Well a quick sum up of what happened on the day. Got there about 12.30 and after getting lunch and working out which of the 3 Boots shops we were supposed to be meeting by and tried to work out if any one was there. Soon worked out who Daedelus was, the black trench coat and hat was kind of a give away, next to make them selves known was Matsumi and Anne (i think, terrible with names). Then came Shades and Valha (Shades wearing the aproprate eye wear). The problem came with Neon Noir and Where's my cow. None of us were sure what they looked like (even to what gender they were), so a few calls on Matsumi's PDA type thing and we all got together.
First stop was lunch at the pub in the station. This is when the biggest mistake happened. I ordered some nachos and Matsumi pulled out a bottle of hot sauce for shades to try. Now being a fan of spicy stuff i tried it along with shades. Now this stoff wasn't hot, it was HOT !!!!! . Shades had the shakes for about 1/2 hr after eating some, and i felt like someone had put a sea urchin in my stomach, combined with the 'burning ring of fire' every time i went to the bog for the next 24 hrs. It also tasted foul, but since the mouth shut down after a few mins this didn't matter so much.
After this stomach churning event we left to go to the hotel. since it was about 5-10 mins walk way we had time to chat with each other about all things anime, and ended up in a intersting talk with Daedelus and Neon Noir about the relative merits of Eva and Rahxephon as well as a few other mecha series.
When we got the hotel some one fired up the Xbox and DOA was brough out for a whirl and there was much ownage, as i managed to put the smack down on many people, mainly through button mashing and hitting people off buildings or on to electric things.
After dumping a lot of the bags we headed out to the shops, starting from Lecester Square walking up to Totternam court road, stopping off at several shops (Forbidden Planet, Blackwells, Borders HMV, Virgin and a few random places in between). Much money was spent and even more could have been spent. Personally i got Nadesico manga part 3 and 4 and a Slayers DVD.
After this we split up Neon Noir and myself went home and the rest returned to the Hotel. Will leave it to one of the others to say what happened after that, as l have had to stay within 100 foot of a toilet since then.

Hehe, the hot sauce... Mutsumi and Shades were feeling the effects this morning too! Lol!

After Neon-Noir and Hopeful_Monster left, we returned to the hotel for a suspiciously cheap takeaway. It was nasty, hence why it didn't cost much! Then the rest of the night was spent watching DVD's (I can't remember the names of 'em, though...) and playing various games on the X-Box until the wee hours of the morning (4.30... then up again at 9... Man I'm tired!)

Today, we spent some time in the Namco arcade and checked out that Manga Exhibition that Hopeful Monster told us about. It wasn't too huge, but some of the work on display was fantastic! And quite a few entries were submitted by people as young as 15!!! Grrrr!

Anyway, 'twas a good weekend and I'd recommend more people to come along next time (probably in the convention in May) I know people are sometimes hesitant about meeting strangers from t'internet but us lot are safe (although sometimes the converstation drifted in to areas not for the easily offended...) I'll pass it on to some one else now and leave it at at big thanks to everyone involved.

The only thing I can think off adding is that im not going near Hot sauce again ever, after being stuck in the toilet with my mouth forcfully thrust under the tap gushing water for 30 mins, then coming out and instantly going back for another 10 when the water all dried up, I can safly say im not touching the stuff ever again LOL. Other than that it was a good night pity more people couldnt have come though 8)

lol i have a sudded chibi vistion of Shades, Cat-San and HM dancing about screaming hot hot hot =x o.o rather scary >><< yush we will try n come next time :3

XxFrozen_NekoxX said:
lol i have a sudded chibi vistion of Shades, Cat-San and HM dancing about screaming hot hot hot =x o.o

Nah, it was a lot more subtle than that :D Mutsumi just started hiccuping randomly, Shades got the shakes, and HM lasted all of about ten seconds before coughing hugely.

And I notice that you boys forgot to mention the insane level of schooling I personally gave your asses at Timesplitters and Halo 2 ;)

I also spent an insane amount of money upon various shiny things. That's it, I'm skint. (well, no, but I probably shouldn't buy anything else. I don't have much shelf space left :D )

Luckily, my ring escaped a fiery doom.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who came. You all helped make this meet the success it was.

Hmmm, what can I add that has not already been said?.....

Melainy was unable to make it this time because her grandad went into hospital. If she isn't online for a few days, this would be why, though I have heard from her that everyone is ok & her grandad is recovering.

Next......

Before meeting up, myself & Aimz went to Camden. That is where I bought the leather jacket you all saw me wearing, after bartering £70 off of the shelf price. After everyone else had left, we went back for more, but I spent none.

My gets are as follows:
The Advantage - Advantage CD (NES music played rock style)
Negima! 1 - 5 manga
Battle Royale 1 manga
Initial D 3 & 4 manga
Initial D 2006 calendar
New jacket
Transmetropolitan 2

Now, with the first meet a success, I'm hoping more people will feel encouraged to join us. These meets will, more often than not I believe, be in London. Mainly because I've not the knowledge of other areas to organise in, & because more people can get to London.
My tip for anyone who seeks a more northern meet; find an event that would of interest to lots of us, & tack the meet to the side of it. Its a good way to get people to come. Amecon, maybe?

The Shades Chilli Challenge should be available on a free CD at the next meet possibly, depending on if I get it copied from the Spamcorder, as will other video clips of us. ^_^

What did everyone think of the hotel? It was the best looking one I could find near Waterloo, & we know now we can hook up computer games to it. Same again next time (Expo meet excluded)?

Thanks again to everyone who could make it; it wouldn't be a meet without you guys. :)

Daedalus668 said:
XxFrozen_NekoxX said:
lol i have a sudded chibi vistion of Shades, Cat-San and HM dancing about screaming hot hot hot =x o.o

Nah, it was a lot more subtle than that :D Mutsumi just started hiccuping randomly, Shades got the shakes, and HM lasted all of about ten seconds before coughing hugely.

And I notice that you boys forgot to mention the insane level of schooling I personally gave your asses at Timesplitters and Halo 2 ;)

Next time, I'll bring an N64 & GoldenEye. Give your ass a spanking on it, I would. >;D Only got two controllers though. Fancy the challenge?

I know a couple of anime fans in Manchester from the UK-A meets, and in past experience it makes for a great day out. There's an arthouse cinema there (CityScreen if memory serves) that often shows anime, if we want to catch that. I saw Howl's last time and I think GitS: Innocence has been run there as well.

I'm determined to make it to see y'all next time too. ;)

it was fun and i cant wait untill may for the london expo untill we all met again :) and hopefully alot more people can make it to that too :)

Mutsumi said:
Next time, I'll bring an N64 & GoldenEye. Give your ass a spanking on it, I would. >;D Only got two controllers though. Fancy the challenge?

Oh, consider it brought :twisted:

Also, since we're talking loot...

Excel Saga manga 1-10
Aquarian Age anime 1-3 (because it looked shiny)
.Hack//sign vols 1-7 and artbox (because I couldn't stop myself -_-;;)
Ubernifty Fullmetal Alchemist pendant and keychain
Fullmetal Alchemist anime volume 3 (Couldn't find the bastard manga except for the abundance of vol 4 that FP had)
Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls (FF1 & 2 remake for the GBA)
The Amazing Spider-Man compilation (issues 1-10, Amazing Fantasy issue 15) because it was oldschool and cheap.
Preacher volume 7 (*twisted laughter*)
Trigun anime vol 1 (Except I forgot I ALREADY HAD the region 2 release *facepalm* so now I have a spare... anybody want to take it off my hands?)
Vampire Hunter D novel #1
BESM d20 Monstrous Manual (I am physically incapable of going into FP and not buying at least one gaming supplement...)

I was carting that lot around London as well as an X-Box strapped to my back and a bagful of clothes, DVDs and assorted stuff in my other bag. My poor abused spinal cord requires recovery. Ow.

Daedalus668 said:
And I notice that you boys forgot to mention the insane level of schooling I personally gave your asses at Timesplitters and Halo 2 ;)quote]

I would've been better at 'Splitters on the trusty ol' PS2 (and I'm telling you, capture the bag 4 ppl vs all bots IS possible! Log on and back me up here Dark Sayian!!!)

Ah, excuses! :wink:

ah reading this makes me even more sorry i missed it. but for being in hospital. i will be making it to the mext one for sure.

Back