London MCM Expo coverage

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
<strong>Revelation:</strong> No annoucements made.
<strong>ADV:</strong> Confirmed they will be present at the next expo, no other annoucements.
<strong>MVM:</strong> Announced taht they will keep their focus on anime, but now they will expand to asian cinema with Osamu Tezuka's inspired live action <b>Dororo</B> and Go Nagai's <b>Cutie honey</b>.

Anime-wise, MVM confirmed titles we already knew about, such as <b>Disgaea, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Gunparade March, Slayers Try, X TV and Aquarion.</b> They also mentioned the releases of <b>Black Lagoon first and second barrage, Berserk and Witchblade box sets </b>.
<strong>Beez</strong>: Confirmed <b>Code Geass</b>, <b>Gundam 00</b> and <b>Sword of a stranger</b>. Also mentioned that a partnership is being formed between Beez and Manga for digital streaming, the initial title being <b>Gurren Lagann</b>. Another possible title for streaming would be <b>Gundam Unicorn</b>. The deal would also give Manga distribution rights on iTunes and Xbox live.
<strong>Manga:</strong> <b>Shigurui: Death Frenzy, Guyver</b> (rescue confirmed with 5 disc box set), <b>Devil May Cry,</b> both <b>Death Note</b> compilation movies, Mamoru Oshii's <b>Sky Crawlers, Tamagochi - the movie</b> and <b>Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood</b> online streaming on Manga's website and You Tube.
Streaming for a <b>Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood</b> and <b>Gurren Lagann</b> will begin soon, but no date has been disclosed yet.

<b>Death Note</b> and <b>Naruto's</b> 3rd movie (<i>Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom</i>) confirmed for a Christmas release.

Manga also mentioned that <b>Ouran High School Host Club</b> is now the best selling shoujo anime in the UK ever, with 1500 sold over 3 weeks from HMV, play and amazon. And <b>Naruto Shippuden</b> won't be coming out this year, as they yet have to complete the original <b>Naruto</b> series.
Manga is also diversifying with live action. First titles announced are <b>Blood</b> and <b>Ichi</b>

<i>Last updated at 24/05/09 at 22:40</i>

WHERE'S MY ONE PIECE! :evil:

But seriously some nice license choices. No Surprise about Code Geass license and did have feeling MANGA would license Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood.

A bit surprised about the new guyver tv series moving over to MANGA, hopeful it may lead to the old ova geting re-released. Devil may cry been released by them as well was a bit of surpise but does fit in with their portfolio.

I am bit dubious that Ouran High School Host Club is also now the best selling shoujo anime in the UK. I could imagine fruits basket must have sold 1500 copies per volume and that was sold over 4 volumes twice by two different companies and one boxset also. Ouran is 2 volume release meaning each volume of fruits basket must have sold less than 750 each which i don't buy.

It does seem highly unlikely that Ouran has sold more copies in three weeks than Fruits Basket has sold in however many years. Still, it's good to hear that any of Manga's generously priced half-season sets is selling well.

fabricatedlunatic said:
It does seem highly unlikely that Ouran has sold more copies in three weeks than Fruits Basket has sold in however many years. Still, it's good to hear that any of Manga's generously priced half-season sets is selling well.

i think they're judging it as fastest seller not overall. most products are rated over how many units are sold within the first 4 months not so much as over it's lifetime.

I'm very interested about the FMA thing, i'm actually very worried now that Revelations have gone bust or very close to doing so, i can't say i've heard much from them as of late

Ryo Chan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

i think they're judging it as fastest seller not overall. most products are rated over how many units are sold within the first 4 months not so much as over it's lifetime.

That maybe true with items with short lifetime cycles i.e. new tvs for example. But things with longer life cycles like DVD's or video games consoles I would not think so, they probably get judged once they reach certain mile stones i.e like when MANGA mentioning naruto sold 120,000 copies so far or When PS2/DS announced sales over 100 milion.

Cheers for the news from expo.

Dave said:
Ryo Chan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

That maybe true with items with short lifetime cycles i.e. new tvs for example. But things with longer life cycles like DVD's or video games consoles I would not think so, they probably get judged once they reach certain mile stones i.e like when MANGA mentioning naruto sold 120,000 copies so far or When PS2/DS announced sales over 100 milion.

Cheers for the news from expo.

must not of said it right, ofc games and such are followed in the long term, but it's general just a random annoucement every few months after hitting 100k, 200k 500k ect But when it's first released, it gets alot more notice, specially when taking notes of the charts. Halo would be a good example from the game world, Huge hype the first few months, but nowerdays unless you go looking for news, you only get info for from new content, records broken, sales targets, if you get my drift.

Hence why i believe manga are just gloating at how many dvd they've sold in the past 3 weeks, maybe give it a few years and it may outsell Fruba, but only time will tell.

And it's about time i got some work done here, i'll also say cheers to AnimeonDVD for the lowdown on what's going on for us northeners stuck at home ;)

This Northerner had a ball. I heard some titbits of information here and there, but most things will be covered officially in due time.

Just got back form London Expo myself and I must say that it was really good.

I had the honour to meet Hopeful Monster, Manga Girl, Otaku-san and Jayme again And also, I had the pleasure of meeting KevinB, Zin5ki and Will-O'-The-Wisp for the first time.

Funnily enough, Will recognized me when I was filling an ADV form for and he seen I've wrote 12 Kingdoms as my favourite anime.

He also made remarks about my taste for echi figures, which is a LIE!! :p

So, now that a lot of people have met Chaos, can anyone confirm if he's safe around children and if he offered any kids at the expo free movie tickets if they sat at the back of the cinema with him?

The Death Note specials getting released by Manga was a given. No surprise there. I'm kinda shocked they picked up FMA: B so fast, though. I hope the R1 releases are going to be double disc sets and, in order to match the R1 releases for speed, Manga don't go back to single disc releases.

Heard one or two other things, Code Geass is has an tentative release date of about october ish, along with Sword of a Stranger which will hopefully get a cinema release (though it may just be a limited one).
From the ADV stall heard that ANN will be allowing Brit's to watch the anime on thier site, also they hope to be going to Aya-con and the October Expo. Gettiing the impression more to clear out the warehouse ( most things where between £35 to £15 for an entire series). And for some reason the large Elfen Lied has had the most people asking if they can buy it. Go figure.
Didn't get anything else mainly cause haven't seen Jerome (at manga) Mike at MVM was doing his one man show so was really have time to chat and don't really know any one at Revelation

Just a quick note to say it was nice to meet everyone. Expo was packed. Seriously, it was hard to move!

@Jayme - In answer to your question, I'm watching:
Eden of the East, Ristorante Paradiso, Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom and Valkyrie Chronichles.
Sorry, my mind went blank when you asked me. *space case*

From what I remember from the Manga presentation. They are going to be streaming Anime from both their website and you-tube.

Also they are going to be starting to release Naruto: Shippuden around the being of next year after they have released the remaining 70 episodes of Naruto.

Both Bleach and Naruto they are going to be releasing the films at the approprate point whist releasing the respective series. He was talking about releasing a film in time for New Year, but I cannot remeber which film he was talking about.

I stopped by for a couple of hours today, got there a bit late. :(

Was pretty cool to see how packed the event was, I really didn't realise anime was that popular in this country. Only thing I picked up was the Patlabor movie boxsets as I was asking about them in an earlier thread. Would have got Sonia's comic as well but didn't have the money on me, she seems so cool though!

The cosplayers were....interesting. Have to say I didn't take any pics 'cos I'm far too shy to ask people for photos when I'm on my own. Also, some of the girls....I just wouldn'bt have felt comfortable asking given what they were (or wern't!) wearing. All I will say is there were some very brave people to travel through East London dressed like that. I'd seen cosplayers in Harajuku before but this was just overload. :lol:

Can someone please explain to me the 'fee hugs' thing? :?

Regards

K

KevinB said:
From what I remember from the Manga presentation. They are going to be streaming Anime from both their website and you-tube.
That news must have slipped past me. All I saw were their DVD sales and their adverts for Blood: The Last Vampire.

Back