Dani

Dandy Guy, in Space
http://www.otakunews.com/uk/article.php?story=1041

a convention set to take place in London

set to run in the summer of 2008

Is this hoax, or real?

We hope the people who tried to launch the disastrous KyuuCON are not involved

(Link to KyuuCON information - Here)

Now being involved with the whole con running thing and being an internet anime fan based in the UK, and so using UK anime forums (such as this) I really have no idea to make of this.

Complete bullsh!t? The BEST con venue one could imagine?

What really gets me is the little fact that this was posted as a rumour, but the original "tipster" sent it through as some kind of funny attempt at a press release. I don't know much about the internal shinanigans of other conventions, but if this is really an attempt to create hype, it has missed the mark by a mile. Without an ounce of crediabilty and seeming outright denial from atleast two UK based anime companies it really makes you wonder that if this a hype building exercise, who the hell would be stupid enough to do it?

The only conclusion I can make out of the shambles is that there are some people out there with either too much time, too much imagination (and misdirected imagination at that) and not enough brains.

Then again, I could be wrong, it could be true, and maybe London will be alive to the sound of mass pocky munching and catgirl catfights once more.

Now being involved with the whole con running thing and being an internet anime fan based in the UK, and so using UK anime forums (such as this) I really have no idea to make of this.

I don't deal with any of the smaller events (Amecon, Ayacon e.t.c), but with the larger more "corporate" ones, but I have some vague idea of this.

Without an ounce of crediabilty and seeming outright denial from atleast two UK based anime companies it really makes you wonder that if this a hype building exercise, who the hell would be stupid enough to do it?

Doesn't every event start without an ounce of credibility? I'm sure Tomo-Dachi was like that in the beginning.

There is the possibility that the people behind it haven't gone for the major companies? Or perhaps are going outside of the UK for support? (IMAF for instance, gets it main sponsorship from a NON-Anime company in France!).

Then again, I could be wrong, it could be true, and maybe London will be alive to the sound of mass pocky munching and catgirl catfights once more.

You may be right, you may be wrong. Perhaps this is just some attempt to get the word into people's heads, and attempt some viral marketing? I'm not sure if it's missed it by a mile, it seems to have generated some "interest", even if only on a small scale.

I'm not trying to go one way or the other here, but I thought posting some "counter-arguments" to what you've been saying might help people look at both sides of the fence. :)

Note: I'm a lurker generally, but felt compelled to post. :O

Note 2: Good luck with Tomo-Dachi by the way.

Note 3: If you're wrong, by calling it "KyuuCON MKII" or a "potential scam", it appears you're trying to attack the event without cause. Until any proof, or an official announcement is released (at which point you'd know) - is it a good idea. :O?

Takayanagi said:
I don't deal with any of the smaller events (Amecon, Ayacon e.t.c), but with the larger more "corporate" ones, but I have some vague idea of this.

This comment made me smile. :)
Even by UK standards I never consider either Aya or Ame to be small (Tomo is smaller still compared to those events).

I think the behind the scenes would be quite differant though. ^^

Takayanagi said:
Doesn't every event start without an ounce of credibility? I'm sure Tomo-Dachi was like that in the beginning.

I was refering to the source. I don't trust masked internet men. Everything from a second season of Berserk to an XXX re-edit of EVA - now I don't trust anyone unless they have a traceable affilation or are reliable. ^_^

Tomo launched officially with PR's and a website. We would have poked very hard anyone running around leaking info, which, if true, this person may have done.

Takayanagi said:
You may be right, you may be wrong. Perhaps this is just some attempt to get the word into people's heads, and attempt some viral marketing? I'm not sure if it's missed it by a mile, it seems to have generated some "interest", even if only on a small scale.

I do concede a little, the reaction I have seen is 50/50, either its a nice idea or they think it's stupid/dodgy.

Takayanagi said:
I'm not trying to go one way or the other here, but I thought posting some "counter-arguments" to what you've been saying might help people look at both sides of the fence. :)

Nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate if it helps us examine points we may have missed concerning everything. I didn't consider the whole outside backing thing myself.

Takayanagi said:
Note 2: Good luck with Tomo-Dachi by the way.

^^ Thanks!

Note 3: If you're wrong, by calling it "KyuuCON MKII" or a "potential scam", it appears you're trying to attack the event without cause. Until any proof, or an official announcement is released (at which point you'd know) - is it a good idea. :O?

On thinking, no, it is not, nor is it fair. I edited the title of the thread so not to mislead people. The website I found the info on, OtakuNews, was leaning towards such a conclusion and that must have rubbed up my objectivity.

Thanks for your views on this, you atleast helped me see things abit differantly.

This comment made me smile. Smile
Even by UK standards I never consider either Aya or Ame to be small (Tomo is smaller still compared to those events).

I think the behind the scenes would be quite differant though. ^^

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. I meant I deal with exhibition style events that deal with several thousand people during the course of their running. In terms of what they are, Ayacon and Amecon are very large. :)

I didn't consider the whole outside backing thing myself.

It's a slim chance, but it's a chance after all. There's bound to be a few crazy companies willing to throw money at people for no reason, hell - take Virgin.

^^ Thanks!

No worries. :)

The website I found the info on, OtakuNews, was leaning towards such a conclusion and that must have rubbed up my objectivity.

I've always disliked it when news sites throw their own spin on "rumours" and "releases" like that. It can often be quite damaging and rubs objectivity - as you said yourself. AnimeUKNews appear to have posted it word for word, stating it's a rumour - but not going for or against it, which is the way to go.

Tomo launched officially with PR's and a website.

Like I said, it could just be a spot of viral marketing. It'll eventually get "syndicated" across various blogs (bloody everything seems to), so when it does pop up - it wouldn't be unheard of. It's either very crafty, or it could prove to be quite damaging - we'll know whenever it pops up and officially launches.

I don't think we should be jumping to conclusions on either front yet... Very little is known about Kanacon and while anime fans are right to feel extremely cautious, the convention deserves a fair chance to win us over too. Industry sponsorship is especially important for a new convention like this; if just to prove to people like us that Kanacon is a respectable and organized event.

I love the viral marketing being attempted by Kanacon, but an important side effect of this is inevitably suspicion. Either way I'll be following this event with great interest.

I'm not a massive fan of viral marketing (OMFG, Sony, XMAS, WTF!?), I think it's far too risky, even in more stable commercial markets.

I'm just getting worried about how many events and conventions these tiny isles can handle, about 7 this year, over 10 if you count the expo's, more next year I assume, and the year after that?

Having each part of the country sorted with a local event is one thing, but I worry about eventual over saturation and attendee apathy.

I guess I just want to see the con scene here grow nice and healthy. There is a place for everyone at the moment, but it wouldn't take much to stir it up.

Back