Live-action Akira project goes the way of Jacob Marley

Haha.
toilet20flush.jpg

I saw a trailer for Blood: The Last Vampire today. Shame that wasn't shot down before it got to the production stage; it looks awful. I really hate wire work.

iisan said:
Yeeees!
C'mon Cowboy Bebop, you're next.

I doubt that one will be killed (could be, and hopefully will be, wrong) given that its got big(ish) names attached that may still be gracing cinema screens.

I still reckon a live action Akira could be awesome, but it would need the right director and a huge budget. I'm assuming this project didn't have either though. :|

fabricatedlunatic said:
I saw a trailer for Blood: The Last Vampire today. Shame that wasn't shot down before it got to the production stage; it looks awful. I really hate wire work.
Saw the trailer during Terminator: Salvation and it looked liked 'Blow **** up: the motion picture'. I enjoyed short Last Vampire movie but it was largely for the atmosphere and visuals than the story.

Sy said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Saw the trailer during Terminator: Salvation and it looked liked 'Blow **** up: the motion picture'. I enjoyed short Last Vampire movie but it was largely for the atmosphere and visuals than the story.
I love those kind of movies. Loved that shoot'em up one. I'm going to see Blood next thurs.

Whatever, someone tell James Cameron to hurry up with Avatar so he can make a GUNNM Live-Action movie so I can finally throw it in someones face who says "America ruins anime turning it into a live-action movie" and then say "Yeah? Take a look at the BAA movie, BAM." It's funny how most people hate on the likes of Dragon Ball: Evolution and Blood: The Last Vampire yet support garbage like X-men: Wolverine Origins which the main attraction is (ruined) Deadpool.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, of course, I could always be wrong.

Akira shouldn't be a movie anyway, it's too... big.

Lupus said:
Whatever, someone tell James Cameron to hurry up with Avatar so he can make a GUNNM Live-Action movie so I can finally throw it in someones face who says "America ruins anime turning it into a live-action movie" and then say "Yeah? Take a look at the BAA movie, BAM."
Except James Cameron, who is "writing, producing and directing Battle Angel" is Canadian. :p

ayase said:
Lupus said:
Whatever, someone tell James Cameron to hurry up with Avatar so he can make a GUNNM Live-Action movie so I can finally throw it in someones face who says "America ruins anime turning it into a live-action movie" and then say "Yeah? Take a look at the BAA movie, BAM."
Except James Cameron, who is "writing, producing and directing Battle Angel" is Canadian. :p
I believe that by America he means Holywood.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for Blood. BAA is something I'm really looking forward as well, but considering it's James Cameron, I take it with two pinches of salt.

He promised an Spiderman movie right after terminator 2, which never happened until Sam Raimi, about 10 years later.

chaos said:
ayase said:
Lupus said:
I believe that by America he means Holywood.
I'll admit my comment was probably around 80-85% facetiousness, but I still think I have a point (after all, no American could still claim to have made a good anime adaption even if Cameron's is good).

I for one am delighted that it's not been made as I don't believe that any live-action film could ever better Otomo's anime classic :D .I'm curious though ,when you consider the average Hollywood movie budget can be between $50 & $100 million ,I wonder how many anime series a company like Production I.G or Madhouse could make with that kind of money?

RetroRainbow said:
I thought that it could have been done well, actually. On places like MAL, people are being all, 'ZOMG YESSSS!!111' about it. It's horribbly childish not to want a movie made just because, you like the franchise, or whatever.

The more people that find out about it the better, right? The original makers can get more money for their product, and by bringing anime out into the mainstream, more people can be aware of it.
Hmm... Anime's become very much part of mainstream culture in Japan (wasn't always so before anyone says) and look what's happened. Churning out season after season of Moe crap and "remakes" or "re-imaginings" or "cash-ins" or whatever you want to call them. Part of me wants Anime to become more well known, but part of me dreads what will happen if it becomes too well known. I don't want it to become cool for chavs to have anime decals on their Corsas for example.

So I guess I'll have a helping of elitist schadenfreude too, please. :D

Ok then, anyone else think the original Anime version is a load of overrated, overblown tripe? I don't like the idea of a live-action version, but it would hardly have been sacrilege.

And when are they going to print the Manga the right way up?

Kaede said:
I still reckon a live action Akira could be awesome, but it would need the right director and a huge budget. I'm assuming this project didn't have either though. :|

It was at one point that Leonardo DiCaprio was going to star in this film as Kaneda as well as being one of the Producers of the film.

It will be interesting to see how the Live Action Ninja Scroll will turn out.

Yeah, I would agree that Akira is one of the few things that might work as live action. My main concern would be how they would go about showing Tetsuo after his transformation - bad cgi could easily ruin it.

Back