KLK - Queries and a schedule update

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Good news, bad news folks for KLK!

Good news first - we've got the dates pushed up!

So right now our release format is as below:

KLK Part 2

Contains: Eps 10-19 (I've checked the discs, they are labeled correctly too - shock, horror!)
Extras on disc: Web previews, clean opening, clean closings.
Tentative physical contents: 216 page artbook (containing the books from Volumes 2 & 3) and collector's packaging.

SRP: £59.99 for BD | £49.99 for DVD (same as Part 1)
Release date: Tentatively March 2nd, pending approvals which are underway now.

KLK Part 3

Contains: Eps 20-25
Extras on disc: Web previews, clean opening, clean closings.
Tentative physical contents: Artbook, 3 Goku Star pins and collector's packaging.

SRP: £49.99 for BD | £39.99 for DVD
Release date: Tentatively May 25th, pre-sales at MCM Expo.

Now for the bad news: It's very clear that the committee will not allow even 12-13 episodes in a set in 2015 with no obvious release date one would be OK in.

We have two choices at this stage - one is to just wait it out until mystery date we can (I'd guess late 2016 is optimistic). The alternative that I am pitching is:

- 3 sets, BD & DVD separate
- £24.99 SRP for BD, £19.99 SRP for DVD
- Likely Amazon price for all 3 sets would be £49.99 - £54.99 for BD, £39.99 - £49.99 for DVD.
- Released over: June, August, October

Open to thoughts and will do a blog post later on the topic, but figured I'd float the idea here while I wait for a reply from the licensor about if the above is even acceptable. I'm personally pro getting the product out to folks as accessibly as we can sooner but I know 3 sets isn't ideal.

Things I am mulling too:

- Doing a rigid box with Part 3 to store Parts 1, 2 & 3.
- Doing a bigger Amaray box with part 3 for people to put Parts 1 & 2 in (Amaray being like your regular DVD or BD box for a show.

Thoughts welcome ahead of a blog post tomorrow and a happy new year to all!

Andrew

I'm locked into the CEs anyway now I own the first but I want to vote for the rigid box if possible!

R

Wow, Aniplex are really being picky about this one. I personally can't see why they have a problem with two sets but not with three...but what do I know?

In any case that sounds roughly similar to the way Kaze released Persona 4 the Animation. As long as the overall cost is about the same as a standard two set split I think it seems like a reasonable solution. Shame you're not allowed to use the documentary as a disc extra, maybe you could ask Trigger if they'll let you bundle in Inferno Cop on Part 3 instead :p

I think a rigid box would make more sense than an a jumbo amaray. Collecting the existing cases together in a nice box feels less wasteful than throwing away two perfectly usable cases for a slightly bigger one!

...I should resume watching Kill la Kill at some point.

Very happy with the prospective release dates for part two and three :) also for the physical extras.

I'd prefer a large box to slip all three collectors editions in to. Makes more sense as a collector imo.

Ath said:
Wow, Aniplex are really being picky about this one. I personally can't see why they have a problem with two sets but not with three...but what do I know?

I think it's more about price point too - I'm sure if we did one or two sets for a higher SRP we'd be cleared for it if we pushed - but that takes the whole point of offering a more accessible edition out the window.

Yeah too - it is basically like what KAZE had to do with Persona 4 - although I am unsure why they've never ever tried to do a complete set as I'm pretty sure circa this point it'd be cleared.

Lack of documentary disc is more of a mystery to me than the CDs (music clearance is a nightmare sadly so licensors often shut that down immediately). Our trade-off is we get to do the artbooks on our Collector's releases though and everyone gets the OVA so it could be worse all in all, just depends what kind of content is your thing I guess.

Rather be honest from folks and sound them out anyway!

AP

I like the idea of having a rigid box to put all three parts in if possible. Like Ath said, having a giant amaray case and having to throw the first to cases out seems like a waste to me.

I think for me, as long as there's consistency, that's the most crucial thing. I've already bought the first collector's edition, so as long as the other two parts fit in nicely alongside that on the shelf, I'm happy.

My personal opinion is sooner rather than later too - KLK still feels very much like a hot property at the moment, so it definitely makes sense in my eyes to get all the episodes out physically in some shape or form before the end of 2015.

anime_andrew said:
Now for the bad news: It's very clear that the committee will not allow even 12-13 episodes in a set in 2015 with no obvious release date one would be OK in.
Just out of interest, when it comes to English speaking territories do you have to commit to the same/similar release schedule as AniplexUSA when it comes to their properties?
I ask because you've managed to get Kill La Kill out in two parts in France already, and the same thing happened with SAO. I have noticed that newer releases like Nisekoi in Germany are being released in the same format though (4x5eps).
With Persona 4 I can't say I'm surprised that KAZE haven't tried to do a complete set after what happened with the release in America. They probably don't want to upset anyone. I saw a post on The Fandompost recently which said that according to David Williams, Aniplex don't even allow Sentai to bid on their properties anymore - possibly as a result of the Persona 4 thing.

anime_andrew said:
- 3 sets, BD & DVD separate
- £24.99 SRP for BD, £19.99 SRP for DVD
- Likely Amazon price for all 3 sets would be £49.99 - £54.99 for BD, £39.99 - £49.99 for DVD.
- Released over: June, August, October
I'm all for trying to get the releases out ASAP, but I thing you'll be shooting yourself in the foot by releasing standard editions for less than half the price so soon - especially if you're considering including a proper rigid artbox (Which makes Manga's release of SAO even more laughable). I wouldn't recommend a large Amaray case as I think that they are almost universally despised.

I'm one of the ones waiting for the standard edition, as it's a blind buy for me. I have no problem with it being 3 sets as i'd be in favour of a rigid box to hold them on my shelf next your other releases :)

Rigid artbox for collector's edition would be perfect for me. Wouldn't want an amaray as it would mean not using the lovely slipcases from the parts.

So crazy they will not allow a complete collection, but doing basic amaray's for as cheap as possible should make the people waiting on a cheaper set happy. Plus, they're not waiting that long after the collectors versions for their reduced sets.

How limited will the limited versions be? If you're anticipating the first volume being close to sold out by June, releasing the basic version then makes sense.

R

I haven't bought the CE, as I didn't like the show enough to want it, but my preference would be a rigid box to fit all the amaray cases in, if a similar situation were ever to occur in the future.

Mangaranga said:
Just out of interest, when it comes to English speaking territories do you have to commit to the same/similar release schedule as AniplexUSA when it comes to their properties?

I think we have a lot more leeway than the USA does on accounts of our region codes being different on BD. The committee is still pretty strict though at the end of the day and we have a lot of checks and balances to follow.

Ultimately we work with the licensor (who does get our problems too but has issues they have to face as well).

Mangaranga said:
I ask because you've managed to get Kill La Kill out in two parts in France already, and the same thing happened with SAO. I have noticed that newer releases like Nisekoi in Germany are being released in the same format though (4x5eps).

With Persona 4 I can't say I'm surprised that KAZE haven't tried to do a complete set after what happened with the release in America. They probably don't want to upset anyone. I saw a post on The Fandompost recently which said that according to David Williams, Aniplex don't even allow Sentai to bid on their properties anymore - possibly as a result of the Persona 4 thing.

I'm sure something like that was said but in the USA nobody can bid on Aniplex titles unless they have an option on future franchises in catalog content. Hard to tell the real reasons why there's no P4 box set and not my place to guess.

That said for France, we do get a lot more leeway to work with market realities but again a lot of trade-offs go on there. For example first half late 2014, second half in mid 2015 - so it's not like there's a great schedule there for example to make it happen and the first part was not exactly a limited edition for the price. So it's really a juggling act.

Mangaranga said:
I'm all for trying to get the releases out ASAP, but I thing you'll be shooting yourself in the foot by releasing standard editions for less than half the price so soon - especially if you're considering including a proper rigid artbox (Which makes Manga's release of SAO even more laughable). I wouldn't recommend a large Amaray case as I think that they are almost universally despised.

Fair point but I'm not trying to force anyone to buy the collector's who doesn't want one and any delay to end of year for Part 1 was assuming we'd be allowed to do half or a complete set. As that is no longer the case I don't want to force people to wait until 2016 to finish their sets, that also said - it relies on us being approved to do it and the dates I gave were highly tentative for now...

Will do some pondering and float the idea to folks but I do keep in mind what people suggest :).

Andrew

glrd1998 said:
Not sure if this has been asked already but what exactly is the issue with the documentary disc?

We're just not allowed it - simple as.

I'm not entirely sure folks are missing anything as I've not seen pitchforks or real rage and we compensate with art assets instead :).

AP

Elaniel said:
Rigid artbox for collector's edition would be perfect for me. Wouldn't want an amaray as it would mean not using the lovely slipcases from the parts.

So crazy they will not allow a complete collection, but doing basic amaray's for as cheap as possible should make the people waiting on a cheaper set happy. Plus, they're not waiting that long after the collectors versions for their reduced sets.

The USA is doing it in 5 parts though so those cheaper sets add up while ours would be 3 parts - so keep in mind my proposed dates are very tentative!

AP

Rui said:
How limited will the limited versions be? If you're anticipating the first volume being close to sold out by June, releasing the basic version then makes sense.

R

There'll be some in circulation for sure, unsure of how many though. It may well be we have to do it once a month from October onwards too may I add - but I'm putting the optimum dates out there for now :).

AP

I already own the first volume and would like to see similar releases for volumes 2 and 3. If you are going to include something to house all three I would prefer an artbox included with volume 3 rather than a bigger amaray case.

I still need to pick up the volume 1 Collector's Edition, but I'll definitely be buying the collector's edition versions.

In regards to the estimated release format/dates of the standard editions, I imagine that the stock levels of the collectors editions will also be of importance when it comes to launching them? I imagine you wouldn't want to release them while there's still a healthy number of collector's editions remaining, as obviously the more sold overall the better. Although I plan on buying the collector's editions (finances allowing - unemployment isn't fun), I think a chipboard box to store all the volumes would be a great idea.

Back