K-On Bluray to be delayed till 1st quarter 2012

Cost of the licence? The FMA: Brotherhood bd experience? Either way I won't be buying the dvds with the prospect of a blu-ray version to come.

Quote courtesy of UKA

Good article. You've pretty much summarised the reasons for a delayed UK Blu-ray box set. We never planned on releasing K-On! in the UK as single volume Blu-ray or DVD volumes like they will in America. Our original plan was for a Blu-ray and DVD double-disc edition. We simply won't be able to guarantee we can clear the single disc BR inventory we'd have to commit to and we strongly feel that what UK fans deserve is a fair price and timely release. We always intended to deliver to British fans a 2-disc complete series collection in HD and on Blu-ray. So now we will have to wait until after Bandai has released their single disc offering in the US first. Bandai is selling each of its 3-4 episode BR volumes for $34.99 USD (£21.86 GBP)! We do not believe we can sustain a 4 volume Blu-ray release strategy at this price level.

I hope UK fans will A.) be able to hold out for our proposed box set, and B.) appreciate that we'll be rewarding their patience with a complete series collection blu-ray set for under £50 GBP when it is released in early 2012. And of course, we will ensure the DVD editions are released as close to the US release schedule as possible.

We are sorry to disappoint those fans who have been patiently awaiting our UK Blu-ray release of K-On! We totally appreciate it is frustrating, but we are working closely with the Licensor and Bandai to provide the best solution we can to the British fans.

And a link the original post, http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/K-ON%2 ... _2012.html

Stuart-says-yes said:
Ryo Chan said:
soooo glad i'm going with the US release right now :D

but then, this just adds more to my manga and bluray feelings

Bad Ryo, its pretty obvious why there not releasing the blu-rays in the immediate future. Unless of course, you want another brotherhood on there hands.

Put it this way, unlike the American distributors, Manga are pretty good at being open and clear with there fans, they could have just said nothing and released the dvd's regardless, but they didn't.
If they said nothing we'd all import the US BDs, this way some will still wait.

I wasn't planning on getting the blu-rays anyway and hadn't really been paying much attention, so the news is actually mildly good for me as it seems the DVDs will be aiming for competitiveness :D

Somehow I'm not expecting K-On to be one of my personal top ten any time soon.

R

The only problem is how many people would wait for a bluray release when the dvd would be already readily available before next year?

I can understand where Manga are coming from but it does feel like they just shot themselves in the foot. True it all goes back to the FMA:Brotherhood debacle but you only have to ask yourself why they decided to release FMA on bluray despite the series length. Bit different with K-On though because of the US release schedule but actually i think with K-On! 1st season being only 14 episodes long (if you include the special), it certainly would have been more viable than FMA

The only thing i am a bit surprised about is why wait till all the US releases are out? Surely it would make more sense to release 2 sets covering 7 episodes each instead of a complete boxset?

CloudedMinds said:
The only problem is how many people would wait for a bluray release when the dvd would be already readily available before next year?

I can understand where Manga are coming from but it does feel like they just shot themselves in the foot. True it all goes back to the FMA:Brotherhood debacle but you only have to ask yourself why they decided to release FMA on bluray despite the series length. Bit different with K-On though because of the US release schedule but actually i think with K-On! 1st season being only 14 episodes long (if you include the special), it certainly would have been more viable than FMA

The only thing i am a bit surprised about is why wait till all the US releases are out? Surely it would make more sense to release 2 sets covering 7 episodes each instead of a complete boxset?
That's the mistake they made with FMA and are trying to avoid. They can't compete with the US on singles releases.
They're going after only the cheapskate audience, and none of the people who want it quickly but will pay more. There isn't realy a middle ground, people either have the money to import it or they'll wait for the boxset.

I'd say with FMA, they probably decided to release it on blu-ray due to the huge popularity of the manga and the first series.

In the context of what has gone before, I think this is the only attempt Manga could make to get this working for them and the customers. Sure, you'll still get people like Ryo Chan who will complain when they do anything these days (>_>), but there are so many pluses to this release compared with the minuses of any other strategy imo. I'll even double dip on it, I think.

Back