Relationships and Romance

Mmmm. Vash the Stampede from the anime Trigun. He's so virtuous!

(The film 'Badlands Rumble' is yet another recommendation, btw. ;))

Yeah, it can be any show, any character that gives off confident vibes (probably best not to emulate Shinji then ;)

But I found it helpful; I'd think "okay, how would they handle this situation..." But even just thinking of the character helped put me at ease.

She didn't believe you? What in the bloody hell...? Yet more useless management.

Well, without divulging too much, she accused me of "flirting" - I was being friendly and civil, but flirting I was not. It was only when she had heard the statement that I gave that she "relented" and admitted "it was appauling" - too much to actually apologise outright apparently...

You know him too well!

Vash, though. Woah, that's a tall order. Literally. (He's tall.)

Who do you visualise?

I've used many characters - the girls from Friends; Starfire from Teen Titans (I love how curious and naive she was, almost ignorant to insults from people and she took it in stride, plus she was just cool); Probably every Disney female character ;). I think I genuinely love characters who are optimistic in the face of adversity; they find hope in unlikely places. Strong females are also cool in my book - Relena; Noin; Cathy from MS:GW. Spunky characters too, like Misato and Asuka ^^

Oh, holy f***, that's priceless, isn't it? Great "support" from your "manager" there. :mad:

I think she was just clueless on how humans actually interact - you can converse with the opposite sex without it being perceived as flirting! To be fair the production manager (acting as HR since it was only a small family run business with no structure) handled it really well - he was supportive and took my statement and handled it all professionally.

I've been giving online dating sites another whirl recently. No dates yet.

I've been on Tinder and OK Cupid as I don't have any money to pay for subscriptions. I don't like Tinder because it forces me to be a shallow person and only 'like' people based purely on appearance since you can't even read their bios without paying, or at least I don't seem to be able to. I've had no matches yet. I randomly saw my cousin's picture on it though...she has a long term boyfriend she has children with. I'm not sure whether to tell her in case she forgot to delete her profile, or just pretend I didn't see it because, you know, it's awk.

OK Cupid is better in the sense that you usually get some vague preliminary idea of the person from the profiles (I don't understand why some people don't bother filling them in at all, might as well stick to tinds). But it has its own foibles. First of all, I find the match percentage rating thing to be a questionable device, I can only see it reinforcing peoples' prejudices and unfair aversions to people different from themselves, rather than encouraging meeting new types of people. Not to mention that most of its questions are pretty trivial and flawed. Although I have been shocked by just how many people think jealously is healthy in a relationship, and that the rich should not pay more tax. I'm less surprised by the amount of people who say they will not date someone with debt, or who is a student (I'm both of those things). Also, you can't see 'likes' unless you pay, you just have to message someone and hope they're also interested in you, and since I'm big believer in well thought out, eloquent introductory messages this is an arduous and time consuming business when I know there's a very high likelihood I won't receive a reply. Indeed, I haven't had one yet.

Yeah I think this internet thing isn't for me. I'm an acquired taste, I literally have no qualities that are immediately appealing enough to entice an internet dater. I'll probably delete my profiles soon.

Last edited:
@Vashdaman kudos to those who have luck with internet dating, but to me it just feels like a way of making relationships even more shallow with all these box ticking questions.

I looked once, a long time ago, and was immediately excluded from fitting the requirements of 90% of the women on there due to my height. And I'm not even that short. That pretty much told me everything I needed to know about the sort of people who use these sites.

I've probably mentioned it before but I'm on tinder, Okcupid and Badoo (the're all owned by the same company, conspiracy!) as far as I remember I've had no luck, I probably had conversations once or twice early last year, but no dates and no replies I can tell for this year. oh yea I'm on bumble too same story (women don't want to pursue, is my thinking) I'm hardly using them anymore, I'm not going to pay for likes and a few arbitrary search filters, it's ridiculous what they charge for that, and you'd be treated the same whether you're paying or not.
Though I do feel that's something's missing with a lack of companionship and intimacy, I'm starting to think it's not worth it at all to look for it, it would serve me better to put my energy into other things, I don't know if it's women's standards or that I'm genuinely not that interesting, but once again it isn't just in japan where the rejection of relationships is happening

I've probably mentioned it before but I'm on tinder, Okcupid and Badoo (the're all owned by the same company, conspiracy!) as far as I remember I've had no luck, I probably had conversations once or twice early last year, but no dates and no replies I can tell for this year. oh yea I'm on bumble too same story (women don't want to pursue, is my thinking) I'm hardly using them anymore, I'm not going to pay for likes and a few arbitrary search filters, it's ridiculous what they charge for that, and you'd be treated the same whether you're paying or not.
Though I do feel that's something's missing with a lack of companionship and intimacy, I'm starting to think it's not worth it at all to look for it, it would serve me better to put my energy into other things, I don't know if it's women's standards or that I'm genuinely not that interesting, but once again it isn't just in japan where the rejection of relationships is happening
How could one of my mionions not be interesting?

Dating these days is made harder by the fact that people don't seem to communicate anymore. I mean actual talking face to face. How exactly does one get to know someone via "Netflix and Chill?" You need to make effort, and engage in conversation and activities.

One can get very intimate during s binge ;)
Younger folks do seem more concerned with social media then connection though

Haha, I'll take your word dude ;)

Yeah, I think it's a big issue to be honest. Even when I've been out for meals in the past, I've observed too many people on their phones. Surely it's a time when you want to actually engage in conversation and talk about interesting subjects. Maybe I'm just old fashioned!

I remember being out with a friend years ago, and she'd be sat there with her phone, clicking and swiping away. She'd ask me a question, and no sooner do I start anwering had she got her head buried in her phone again, with the occassional, "sorry, I am still listening..."; drove me nuts! I either want your full attention, or not - none of this half-a$$ed c**p!

There are times when we need to put phones away and not check them every 5 seconds!

Maybe I'm just old fashioned!
I am too, so I totally know where you're coming from on the phones thing. You're absolutely right.

She'd ask me a question, and no sooner do I start anwering had she got her head buried in her phone again,
Oh dear god almighty, that would utterly infuriate me. I hate divided attention like that; it's no way to have a conversation.

I am too, so I totally know where you're coming from on the phones thing. You're absolutely right.

Oh dear god almighty, that would utterly infuriate me. I hate divided attention like that; it's no way to have a conversation.

The thing is, It's just how I am. I get that phones are useful, now more than ever, but there is a time to just set them aside and do something more useful with your life other than taking pictures of your breakfast! It's the culture we live in now - all about "likes" and being accepted, but it's all superficial. I don't want Facebook friends, I want real friends!

I know, right? I don't want partial attention - it's all or nothing.

Back