J Pop Recommendations

Kaede

Adventurer
Hey guys, I've recently gotten into a couple of Japanese artists via Sky.fm radio on iTunes. I've picked up albums from Perfume, Capsule and Genki Rockets.

Are there any other artists in this vein that I might enjoy? Something with lots of singing would be good for helping with my Japanese (well that's my excuse! ;) )

Cheers,

Kaede

Only J-pop artists I really like are Utada Hikaru, Susumu Hirasawa & Yoko Kanno. I like the odd Jpop song here and there, but I'd listen mostly to j-rock instead.

If you're looking for J-Rock I'd recommend The Pillows, Asian Kung-fu Generation, X Japan, L'arc en Ciel, Versailles....

i'm really digging 'school food punishment' atm.

but for me, i'm also looking for some jpop recommendations or j rock for that matter, although i am totally not keen on those 'emo pretty boy' rock bands, i dunno, i just find them really cringing - but that's just me.

Thank you all for the above recommendations. I'll have a trawl through iTunes to see if any of these artists are available.

Regards

K

I'll just throw out some of the Japanese bands/artists I tend to listen to:
Aoi Eir
ClariS
EGOIST
LiSa
Namie Amuro
School Food Punishment
Stereopony
Supercell
Utada Hikaru
YUI

I must admit, back in the day, I was quite a big Johnny's Entertainment fan and can't recommend the likes of Kanjani8 and TOKIO enough. Brilliantly entertaining and genuinely good musicians. Arashi also make fantastic pop music if that's more your thing.

As for rock/punk/visual kei stuff, Luna Sea were always my band of choice when I was in my teens.

Back