iTunes is being unhelpful. Techie forumites annoy me. Help.

ayase

State Alchemist
I have this problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1967 and I don't understand Apple's solution.

Quit iTunes.

Download and install the latest version of iTunes.

Use the Finder (Mac) or Windows Explorer (Windows) to go to the iTunes folder that contains the iTunes library files:

Microsoft Windows Windows Vista and Windows 7
\Users\username\Music\iTunes\
Ok, yeah. Done.

Drag the iTunes Library file from the above location to the Desktop.
Easy.

Open the Previous iTunes Libraries folder in the iTunes folder.
What? I don't have a 'Previous iTunes Libraries' folder. Unless it means my previous 'iTunes Library' folder. In which case, how do I open that in the iTunes folder? Which iTunes folder!? That doesn't even make any sense! I want to use my iPod! F*CK YOU APPLE! BRING MY MUSIC BACK YOU BASTARDS!

Hmm. I have a Previous iTunes Libraries folder. They just mean that you should open the folder (which is--or should be--located in the iTunes folder). But if you don't have one that's the extent of my helpfulness :-|

I have never used the Windows version, though I also have that folder showing up properly which can just be opened like any other directory and contains a bunch of old library files.

Er, do you have any backups? Or do you have Windows hiding system files from view, and it has decided that that was one of them?

Worst case I guess you can re-import all your stuff. You might be able to restore your old Library file as well - I have in the past when changing computers - though if it is that which has become corrupted in the update it doesn't look good. Do you have an XML file in the folder called iTunes Music Library.xml?

R

I have the previous library folder as well. If you save your xml file, you can install itunes fresh and drop it on the lib folder again.
If the xml file itself is correupted, then you would have to re-add your stuff or use something like xml spy to fix it (which I don't recommend if you don't know how).

Rui said:
Er, do you have any backups? Or do you have Windows hiding system files from view, and it has decided that that was one of them?

Worst case I guess you can re-import all your stuff. You might be able to restore your old Library file as well - I have in the past when changing computers - though if it is that which has become corrupted in the update it doesn't look good. Do you have an XML file in the folder called iTunes Music Library.xml?
I have hidden files showing and the .xml file is there, along with three iTunes Database files, an empty Album Artwork folder and an 8byte 'file' named 'sentinel'. I haven't lost anything, as all my music is still in my 'iTunes Music' folder, which I put on my external hard drive a long time (several updates) ago to stop it taking up valuable space on my C drive. The 'library location' still points to that folder (G:\iTunes Music). I have tried changing this and changing it back but the files just don't show up in iTunes.

Why it has to piss about with these library files and dated previous folders I have no idea. My music is on my hard drive, in a folder. My idea of simple computing is that if I point at that folder it should show up. I am considering third party organisers now, no way am I importing 6000+ songs again. The fact I have bought stuff off iTunes in the past is my only concern there.

Back