Its a long shot - Yourfreedom & the BBFC

Project-2501

Straw Hat Pirate
Click Here

Lets try and get as many votes as possible, its worth a try at least! It looks like 1100 is the current high water mark.

I know some of you hate the BBFC with a vitriolic passion and want to see it hung, drawn and quatered but please put that to one side just for a moment. Try and keep the comments sane ;)

I've voted.
I don't hate the BBFC, but I would like an option in UK law, for an unrated release which could only be sold to 18 or overs, which makes no guarantee of the suitability of the content. Although the distributors would be responsible for making sure the content meets UK law.

Project-2501 said:
I know some of you hate the BBFC with a vitriolic passion and want to see it hung, drawn and quartered...
::straightens lapels::

No reason I can't vote for this *and* the ones calling for all censorship to be swept away.

My money says this site will be dispensed with / completely ignored within a matter of days though. It's good of Nick Clegg to think he can have a sensible dialogue with the general public, but that just ain't gonna happen.

Of course it ain't gonna happen, its just the government dangling a little carrot infront of the masses in some vain hope that they ignore the prospect of continued economic hell and a new government that is busy going back on everything it promised in the election campain.

Putting it simply. They won't bother with your request, even though its a rational and acceptable request, Its not worth even considering it for them.

Think of it this way, they make money from the BBFC and get to filter things through before letting the nation even look at it. If somethings going to bring in some money and isn't affecting the majority of people, they won't give two monkeys what we say.

Anyway, if the distributers carry on with ideas like crunchyroll. they should be able to get around the BBFC.

Tachi- said:
Think of it this way, they make money from the BBFC and get to filter things through before letting the nation even look at it. If somethings going to bring in some money and isn't affecting the majority of people, they won't give two monkeys what we say.
Who makes money out of the BBFC though? Only the BBFC themselves! Their employees need paying and demand a lot for their services (or there are too many of them) so they charge exorbitant fees. They wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for government mandate, much like Network Rail or RBS. Once the government says "These people are indespensible" they can do what the hell they want and charge what they like for doing it. IMO these are the people we should most definitely be dispensing with.

I think the only real way to beat them is through this passage found on their website:

Statutory powers on film remain with the local councils, which may overrule any of the Board's decisions, passing films we reject, banning films we have passed, and even waiving cuts, instituting new ones, or altering categories for films exhibited under their own licensing jurisdiction.

So, take control of a council, override all of the BBFC's decisions and allow distributors to release films uncut and unrated in the area under your jurisdiction. Lure in a multiplex cinema. Rake it in. Watch other councils follow suit. Render the BBFC completely ineffectual. Win. All we need for it to work is a greater rate of moral decline.

Zin5ki said:

Another rare occurrence has manifested: I agree with Project-2501 on such a matter.

Gotta stop that!

For multi-million sellers like Avatar etc.. the fees are chimp-change. 3-4k to the BBFC for something you'll make £250,000 from in the first day. An even better way would be to have the BBFC funded by a 'DVD tax', 2p on from every DVD disc sold goes to the BBFC. Then Avatar pays for small releases.

Unfortunately local authorities can't sanction unrated DVD sales. :(

I don't expect ANYTHING to happen, but if you don't try you won't ever get anywhere.

ayase said:
All we need for it to work is a greater rate of moral decline.
Hopefully the progression of time will bring this about.
Unfortunately, not all amoral types gravitate towards niche interests such as ours, so more might need to be done for the public to be as motivated to implement such changes as we are.

It would replace the BBFC fees. Currently if it costs £1000 to rate a DVD and you only sell 1000 copies thats added £1 to the cost of each disc. If you sell 1,000,000 it adds just 0.1p to the cost. So the little guys get the shaft.

It won't turn a £15 anime DVD into a £5 DVD, but it might give Beez, Manga etc.. more hope of turning a profit. You've still got fixed costs like authoring, artwork design, printing etc.. which will never go away.

Tachi- said:
Putting it simply. They won't bother with your request, even though its a rational and acceptable request, Its not worth even considering it for them.
Giving up achieves nothing. What we need is to put enough noise into it make people notice us.

Project-2501 said:
I don't expect ANYTHING to happen, but if you don't try you won't ever get anywhere.
I do expect something to happen. That's why I think we need to promote this as much as we can.
Yesterday, I've linked this to a few people I know are involved / enjoy anime / forreign film. If everyone do that, we could stand a chance. If people stay quiet in a corner, saying that it won't work of course it won't work.
But if we make enough noise and believe we can make it work, of course we can make it work. Am I too optmistic to believe I can make a little difference in the world? What about the couple that started the Rage Against campaign against X-Factor? Completely unknown people with an idea others could relate to. All we need is to make enough people care about it as well and we can make this change happen.

/political-optmist discourse

ayase said:
Tachi- said:
Who makes money out of the BBFC though? Only the BBFC themselves! Their employees need paying and demand a lot for their services (or there are too many of them) so they charge exorbitant fees. They wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for government mandate, much like Network Rail or RBS. Once the government says "These people are indespensible" they can do what the hell they want and charge what they like for doing it. IMO these are the people we should most definitely be dispensing with.
Can we create a rating company of your own?

chaos said:
Yesterday, I've linked this to a few people I know are involved / enjoy anime / forreign film. If everyone do that, we could stand a chance. If people stay quiet in a corner, saying that it won't work of course it won't work.

What this guy says.

Change is only EVER accomplished if people stand up and demand it. Of course, how they go about it has something to do with it as well.

If people care about an issue but won't speak up or act on it, then nothing will be done about it. I think the proposed idea is a really good one - if nothing else, putting it to the people who matter could make room for discussion. It all helps.

Come on people, we can do better than 20 votes ;) Although its currently the top rated 'bbfc' and 'anime' tagged idea!

Not having the BBFC is always going to be the best option but you need to start somewhere.

Back