Issue with the Serial Experiments Lain BD from Australia

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
I just got this through today, the BD/DVD combo from Sony Universal in Australia. I guess I was too eager for it, despite the issues they had with the Shana Blu-ray.

Sure enough the subtitles are mistimed on the Serial Experiments Lain Blu-ray, preceding the dialogue and signs by a beat.

The subs and signs are accurately synchronised on the DVDs though, which are NTSC and coded for Regions 2 and 4.

So is Sony Universal Australia basically the MangaUK of Aus? Somehow taking the same master released in another territory whilst ballsing something up in the process.
I mean, how does this even happen? They didn't apply PAL speedup to the Bluray masters or something stupid like that did they?

Got through on their Facebook page and got a stock

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We want you to have the best viewing experience possible so we are immediately looking into the issues you have raised. We will come back to you as soon as possible."

reply.

We'll see if anything happens. Didn't with Shana.

And today I got replacement discs from Sony Universal. Nice of them to ship to the UK for no charge. Actually they sent another retail pack, and a complementary Haibane Renmei.

Subtitles are fixed on the Lain Blu-ray, so happy bunny here!

EDIT: It took a major corporation with money, manpower and resources four months to fix, check, author and print a corrected Blu-ray, if you're getting impatient for a Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray fix.

Back