Is the £85 pirce for Akeme Ga Kill Collectors Edition BD A Sad Example Of How Bad The UK Anime Marke

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
Think about it, next to BBFC costs, the really small market compared to the US/AUS, etc. I mean I'm glad Animatsu is trying to give us what the US gets on a regular basis, but is the high price point a sad example of how much we have to pay to match what the US/AUS gets on a regular basis?

"How much we have to pay to match what the us gets on a regular basis"

honestly there's not much diffrrence in the pricing especially as you mentioned there are bbfc costs and vat charges for the UK release to factor in.

- Akame ga kill US

SRP: $130 (roughly £85)
UP1USA: £66
TRSI: $85 (roughly £56 - plus custom charges)

- Akame Ga Kill UK

RRP: :£85.99
Likely Amazon discounted price: £60 (going by the norm for their pre order discounts, no guarantee it'll get this low though. ..)

My opinion is that the set is over priced in general and i would only pay £50 at most for it, but to say it is overpriced in comparison to the USA is incorrect.

With regards to any statement about the UK market, I think it just shows how anime has generally been devalued here, to a point where people don't even like the £35/40 amazon charges for Anime Limited releases.

TO the best of my knowledge, the RRP is actually £89.99:

Code:
<Price>
 <FormattedPrice>£85.98</FormattedPrice>
</Price>
<AmountSaved>
 <FormattedPrice>£4.01</FormattedPrice>
</AmountSaved>

Well that's still only slightly over the SRP of the US release, and it includes the additional fees that BBFC charge and VAT.

At the end of the day, yes it is expensive, but it's not a sad example of how bad the UK market is, because the price is comparable to the USA price.

britguy said:
At the end of the day, yes it is expensive, but it's not a sad example of how bad the UK market is, because the price is comparable to the USA price.

THIS is the sad part.

I've wondered lately if my complaints about anime pricing have been erring on the side of being unreasonable. But when even US retail outlets denounce these prices as 'outrageous', I'm inclined to think otherwise.

HdE said:
THIS is the sad part.

I've wondered lately if my complaints about anime pricing have been erring on the side of being unreasonable. But when even US retail outlets denounce these prices as 'outrageous', I'm inclined to think otherwise.

I was thinking the exact same, then I realised their only argument in support of the prices was "well, I'm willing to pay that much", and that's not really a good argument...

HdE said:
britguy said:

THIS is the sad part.

What is the sad part? I'm agreeing that it's expensive, but how can a price comparable to the overpriced US release (so likely enforced by the licensors) show how bad the UK market is? If this were a like for like release of a Funimation product and we were paying double, then yes I can understand the "having to pay a hig price point for what americans get all the time" comment in the OP, but this isn't the case, it's a case of us paying close to what the US arms are charging, so we're not being overcharged in comparison, everyone is being overcharged!

Buzz201 said:
I was thinking the exact same, then I realised their only argument in support of the prices was "well, I'm willing to pay that much", and that's not really a good argument...

"i'm not willing to pay that much" isn't a good counter argument either ;)

So, the conclusion I'm getting is £85 is not a sad example of how bad the UK market is as it's fairly comparable to the US price once the inevitable discounts kick in.

Good.

Now I will say I question the value of this collectors set. The US BD set is $70 pre discounts and the collectors $130 pre discount. $60 more for DvD's that you likely don't want a hard cover book and a box doesn't seem like massive value. (I don't really rate the poster/sticker/tattoos as having any value) I suppose technically those DvD's are worth $60 pre discount but it's duplication that I'd not really want to pay for.

We're 8 posts in and nobody has made a "they're charging money for Akame Ga Kill?" joke yet?

Like most of the other posters, price doesn't seem outlandish compared to the US sets to me (after adding UK VAT).

Why are we taking comments from RACS seriously all of a sudden? Robert makes Jerome seem calm and reasonable. He's always undermining distributors (even though he scalps more than anyone the moment something becomes difficult to find).

On the actual topic, I'm not going to buy this release as I don't care for the show in the first place, but objectively the bonus goodies don't look all that compelling for the higher-than-average price (US market aside). Considering it in the context of the US release though I don't think it's a crazy price - it's a new, highly hyped series, it will be discounted online, I'm sure a priced-down tat-free version will appear later on and it's streaming for free. To use an example of a series I actually do care about that's getting a similar Sentai special edition, I would happy pay this much for Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun. If it means not getting a few lesser releases that month, I don't mind. I love it that much.

R

Don't forget to add the 20% VAT to the US prices to get the equivalent UK price. US Sales tax isn't included in the price (and isn't usually applied online) but you can get the equivalent retail/RRP to decide whether it's the equivalent

britguy said:
HdE said:
britguy said:

THIS is the sad part.

What is the sad part? I'm agreeing that it's expensive, but how can a price comparable to the overpriced US release (so likely enforced by the licensors) show how bad the UK market is?

The sad part is that the price is so uniformly high outside Japan.

And on this point, because I haven't had my morning coffee yet:
britguy said:
Buzz201 said:

"i'm not willing to pay that much" isn't a good counter argument either ;)

Sorry, but it's a perfectly acceptable counter argument. Consumers and fans will always have the right to make a decision to buy or not buy releases on the basis of what they consider value for money. It's my opinion that £85 for 12 24 minute episodes is ATROCIOUS value for money.

HdE said:
Sorry, but it's a perfectly acceptable counter argument. Consumers and fans will always have the right to make a decision to buy or not buy releases on the basis of what they consider value for money. It's my opinion that £85 for 12 24 minute episodes is ATROCIOUS value for money.

I think there's a slight difference between "that's terrible value for money" and "I'm not willing to pay that much". It's small, but it transforms it from a terrible argument to an acceptable one.

HdE said:

So "I'm willing to pay that" isn't a good argument, but "I'm not willing to pay that" is?

Most will agree that this set doesn't represent good value for money, but when it comes to pricing of the anime in general, some just seem to have undervalued anime to a point where anything under the price they feel is acceptable is criticised, and anyone willing to pay it is either a) too loose with their money b) loaded c) ruining the UK anime industry by supporting such practices

You know I wonder if part of the issue we are having is there's no standard edition BD like the US have announced at present. The set we are discussing at the moment is basically the collectors set where we accept that we get milked for extra cash because it's a collectors set.

If time progresses and we don't see the same setup of DvD, BD, Deluxe Set as the US I think we should be up in arms about this disparity as it implies they are forcing us towards the expensive only option.

The unspoken consensus seems to be that Manga might very well not do a standard if the collector's doesn't sell well enough.

britguy said:
So "I'm willing to pay that" isn't a good argument, but "I'm not willing to pay that" is?

Most will agree that this set doesn't represent good value for money, but when it comes to pricing of the anime in general, some just seem to have undervalued anime to a point where anything under the price they feel is acceptable is criticised, and anyone willing to pay it is either a) too loose with their money b) loaded c) ruining the UK anime industry by supporting such practices

Or are Japanese companies overvaluing anime? Something is only worth what the general population are willing to pay, and the general consensus seems to be that for a lot of people, anime isn't worth what the companies think it is.

Also, if you can afford to spend £85 on a 12 episode series that is streaming uncensored on Crunchyrolll, and view that as not being a big deal you have no right to be offended when people call you "loaded"... :p

IncendiaryLemon said:
That's some backwards logic on Manga's part.

I can see why they'd do it (forces people on the edge to go for the more expensive edition), but it doesn't make it any less ******. I think the practice would be far more excusable if it were £40-50...

Buzz201 said:
Or are Japanese companies overvaluing anime? Something is only worth what the general population are willing to pay, and the general consensus seems to be that for a lot of people, anime isn't worth what the companies think it is.

Well, the problem with that is that anime doesn't appear out of thin air. There are countless articles around showing how little the actual staff make and Manglobe won't be the last anime company to close down due to financial problems. There's a base cost of production which has traditionally been absorbed in Japan and supported by the Japanese business model. Now, we're getting a taste of that and yearning for the days where licenses were changing hands for next to nothing.

If Manga never do a standard edition for Akame Ga Kill then yeah, that sucks. It's forcing people to get a load of expensive tat just to own the show, as the extras are very weak. I do think there may well come a day when special edition + streaming is the only viable model for niche titles, but this isn't a terrifically niche title and the special edition isn't all that special. There's always the DVD version but that works better as an argument when the only BD edition isn't being padded out with pricey fluff.

Of course, take everything Manga say with a pinch of salt. They have no reason to be open and hint that a standard edition is coming later, because they want the LE to sell out and be a huge success. The fact that Andrew is crazy enough to tell us this stuff in advance is the exception, not the norm.

R

Rui said:
Well, the problem with that is that anime doesn't appear out of thin air. There are countless articles around showing how little the actual staff make and Manglobe won't be the last anime company to close down due to financial problems. There's a base cost of production which has traditionally been absorbed in Japan and supported by the Japanese business model. Now, we're getting a taste of that and yearning for the days where licenses were changing hands for next to nothing.

If Manga never do a standard edition for Akame Ga Kill then yeah, that sucks. It's forcing people to get a load of expensive tat just to own the show, as the extras are very weak. I do think there may well come a day when special edition + streaming is the only viable model for niche titles, but this isn't a terrifically niche title and the special edition isn't all that special. There's always the DVD version but that works better as an argument when the only BD edition isn't being padded out with pricey fluff.

Of course, take everything Manga say with a pinch of salt. They have no reason to be open and hint that a standard edition is coming later, because they want the LE to sell out and be a huge success. The fact that Andrew is crazy enough to tell us this stuff in advance is the exception, not the norm.

R

I know that. I was just saying that fans can't really be "undervaluing" anime, they just don't value it as much as it costs to produce. That is, assuming we have to be charged that much and isn't Japanese companies being upset that we aren't paying Japanese prices (which RightStuf's Shawn Kleckner suggested it might be on ANNCast).

A better complaint/question would be why aren't people willing to pay these prices if they want to see more anime (which they clearly do)? And obviously that's a highly complicated question to answer.

Back