Initial D anime series to hit UK DVD soon?

Ninja Boy!

Thousand Master
Basically, i was just searching through the pre-orders at Play.com's Anime Section and they apparently have Initial D Volume 1 listed for a 28/01/2008 release date (this is bound to change). the really interesting thing is that it has a real cheap price of only £9.99 (Retail price around £15) and it has 2 Discs which could mean that it probably includes the first two volumes.

sounds like good news for Initial D fans waiting for a uk release...lets hope it doesnt get cancelled or something.

oh and one more thing...from what i heard, the R1 versions by Tokyopop were really crappy..so lets hope its not an exact port....but judging from the price it very well could be.

As far as I remember the dubs were absolutely dire and cheesy... it would have to be cheap and have the Japanese soundtrack/subtitles to make it worth buying.

But I would love to see it done properly, and have the later series dubbed too! And I'd love to see an Initial D 5th Stage... ah well, maybe when Wangan Midnight finishes it's run.

I haven't seen any Initial D, But I've always been intrigued. Awful dub sounds awful though. =/

I might pick up the first tankobon in my next order. Anyone recommend the (LiveAction) movie while I'm at it? People seem to like it.

Jayme said:
I haven't seen any Initial D, But I've always been intrigued. Awful dub sounds awful though. =/

I might pick up the first tankobon in my next order. Anyone recommend the (LiveAction) movie while I'm at it? People seem to like it.

the live action movie was decent...i wouldnt say its awsome...nor would i say its crap....its....err...decent lol....
its worth a watch.

I've seen all of initial D , and i'm saying that this is worth buying.
The Dub for the first stage is ok i guess... but i'd prefer to have seen it subbed.

Its about time

I love the Initial D series its one of my all time fave series the charatcers are brilliant, especially Takumi's dad. Plus I'm currently stuck at the end of series 4 and dying to see what happens next.

The studio's probably waiting for the latest round of Japanese sports cars to be released before doing the fifth series so that they can include them in the races - AE86 vs new GT-R/LFA/NSX, lol?

I just really need season 5 as 4 ends on a cliff hanger with Takumi torn between his beloved AE86 and his dads Subaru

Plus the series can't end either or both of the following happen:
1. Takumi beats his dad on Mt. Akina

and/or

2. He becomes a professional racer/drifte king

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say the voice actors in the dub was bad, the music was though, as TokyoPop had to do what they did for them to even think of garnering(a non-existant) US Broadcaster.

I own a couple of volumes(which FUNimation is re-releasing in Boxset Forms in the US), and I really can't stand the music in the dub. The sub's music makes me forget how I can't stand the character designs, or the shoddy CG, however, TokyoPop's inhouse studio is terrible and killed it by adding new music and sounds, with messed up footage(For example, a tight corner turn may be seen a few times in the dub, in a split screen).

I vaguely remember reading that the live-action film, while retaining its Cantonese dialogue, also had a massacred soundtrack for its theatrical release here. Hopefully the DVD also has the original – but I'd be wary of buying it if it has a single soundtrack, as it's likely that this would be the massacred, rather than the original.

Turtleheart said:
I vaguely remember reading that the live-action film, while retaining its Cantonese dialogue, also had a massacred soundtrack for its theatrical release here. Hopefully the DVD also has the original – but I'd be wary of buying it if it has a single soundtrack, as it's likely that this would be the massacred, rather than the original.

I have the original release of the movie, not the UK release and I love it, have watching it countless times and just can't get bored with it, plus the original soundtrack really suits the film.

Back