Indeed, I am irked...

Ramadahl

Hunter
Y'know, sometimes the anime community depresses me. Not the whole community, just parts of it.

Now, you may remember a while back, I voiced a small protest to Paul about calling Higurashi a lolicon anime.
For me, the reason I liked it was the story - a seemingly macabre Groundhog Day, where each bloody iteration has it's own mystery to solve as well as sinister clues that hint towards the ultimate purpose behind it all. And while I realised that there may be some people who would want to watch it on the basis that several of the characters were small girls, I took the view that having such characters made it a more effective horror than anything else.

And I pretty much considered it as a given that the vast majority of people who would watch the show would see things in the same light as I did (somewhat arrogant, I admit...).

And then I saw this.

Yes, that would be the first volume of Higurashi to be released in the US. Look like a horror series to you from the cover? Yeah, right. A couple of prepubescent girls in dodgy costumes - and in that context, calling it "When They Cry" just sounds even worse.

So yeah, it's being marketed as a lolicon anime. And to be honest I'm not sure where the blame lies for this - either with the distributors for marketing it in such a (misleading) way, or certain segments of the anime community for giving the impression that stuff like that is what they really wanted to see anyway. Or both.

I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting - I just sorta feel that I don't think I'd buy those DVDs if there's any chance that someone would see something like that on my shelf. Vaguely suggestive DVDs are one thing (hello, ROD TV), but this is a little much...

Product Description
It's tough being the new guy in town, having just moved into the small rural village of Hinamizawa, but when Keiichi joins an after-school club and befriends four cute girls, life doesn't seem too bad. That is, until he learns about demonic cults and a failed dam construction project, plus the grisly murders and disappearances that have occurred every year after the town festival. As shocking past events are unveiled through different viewpoints, Keiichi learns that things and even people aren't what they appear to be. How many of his club "friends" are involved and what are their plans for him?!

There is the age old saying "Never judge a book by it's cover" and i cannot think of any other form of entertainment that this is more true than anime and manga. While i don't agree with changing the title, the bright pink cover art is eye catchy and to be honest it would probably grab my attention if i was in a store.

Afterall it is just a cover art, if people buy something based on a nice image on the front then i really question if they were interested in a new series to watch or just spending money in a spur of the moment fashion.

Gotta agree with Ramadahl here, watched a few episdoes (bout three arc's worth) and Lolicon this isn't, and the cover couldn't be more misleading if it tried. only hope they have the reversable covers so you can have something more presentable on your shelf. Personally got a little bored of it after abit, but it was very ... different, which was highly refreshing.

I feel sorry for you guys, that is a horrible cover. And to be honest I think you have the anime fans to blame; the ones that made the most noise about Higurashi were constantly going on about how its this hot "killer-loli" anime about little girls murdering each other, about how *oh, they're so cute*. And now Geneon are pandering to them. And no doubt, it's utterly disturbing.

I like macabre and loved Groundhog Day so I might actually enjoy this...sadly I wouldn't buy it on the cover, which might actually put me offbuying it. I see Ramadahl's point - it's annoying when shows are misrepresented like that.

On a similar note, it annoys me when the blurb on the back of the case hypes a show up too much - I know it's advertising and buyers want to know a brief synopsis, but still...

I really don't mind to get if I have this in my shelf... it's not really worrisome.. as long as you love the book you can forget the cover and who cares if a person saw that cover and misunderstood you, besides there are lots of misunderstanding in this world...

Putting aside the two little hugging girls in a costume... What really disturbing me is that, it's terrible art cover... the background pink mixed with blue, yellow and violet plus the text is just bad..

Bad and distasteful color co-ordination... Do they have eyes??????

Paul said:
about little girls murdering each other, about how *oh, they're so cute*.

but wow i've got to catch this if they kill each other...... ^^^

I have to say that people seeing the cover wouldn't bother me, after all i have the Eiken dvd (no I didn;t buy it, it was a bad present) and that cover is far far worse.

I'd be greatful that people would be buying the series, its there own fault if when they watch it they find it full of horror, next time they will read up on it before assuming that the cover shows all the series has to offer.

This is the exact same thing the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series suffers from; catering to the lolicons. I have no problem with them as people, but when a company starts to cater for them by providing more fan-service than they already have, it makes me sad.

Lolicons and uber-Otakus are a very niche market because the average anime fan would like to see a good story. I just find it unfair when companies try to cater to the smallest group in a group of fans, but ignore the feelings of the rest of us.

Maxon said:
Lolicons and uber-Otakus are a very niche market because the average anime fan would like to see a good story. I just find it unfair when companies try to cater to the smallest group in a group of fans, but ignore the feelings of the rest of us.
The otaku market happens to be the one that actually buys the most. Most other, more moderate fans, either only watch on TV or rent the titles. By catering for the hardcore market they are actually increasing their sales rather than restricting them since the increase in sales from the one market is not likely to offset the decrease from the other. The same is probably not as true in the western market where a larger percentage of revenue comes from sales of DVDs but you have to remember the primary market for anime is Japanese.

McIcy said:
I have to say that people seeing the cover wouldn't bother me, after all i have the Eiken dvd (no I didn;t buy it, it was a bad present) and that cover is far far worse.

Why haven't you burned it yet? Seriously. My hard drive feels dirty for even downloading it.

Gawyn said:
Maxon said:
The otaku market happens to be the one that actually buys the most. Most other, more moderate fans, either only watch on TV or rent the titles. By catering for the hardcore market they are actually increasing their sales rather than restricting them since the increase in sales from the one market is not likely to offset the decrease from the other. The same is probably not as true in the western market where a larger percentage of revenue comes from sales of DVDs but you have to remember the primary market for anime is Japanese.
I know but this is not Japan. This is the UK and US we're talking about. Regular fans outnumber the Otakus and Lolicons over here.

Back