Importing Blu-ray player from Amazon.com

Baggie_Saiyan

Thousand Master
Hi, guys I am thinking of importing this BD player from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KB9 ... PDKIKX0DER
Comes too about £47 including pre paid tax.

Has anyone imported a blu-ray player online before, if so how was the experience?, and secondly other then a travel adapter is there anything else I need? Doing some research online, some people said one must have this voltage downgrader thingy whilst other say it isn't necessary.

I am in no rush for a region A player, (I am still content with my laptop) but at that price I may go for it, even moreso since CeX are buying unboxed PS3's for under £50 so break even. I have my PS4 to play region B stuff anyway.

Whether you need a stepdown converter depends on the device; some are capable of handling both UK and US power nowadays but others are not. Ask the seller to check the power adapter or back of the item to see exactly what it supports as it's the safest way to be sure (or just wait until you get it - it's easy enough to buy a converter).

I import a lot of hardware, though usually from Japan rather than the US. To be honest you don't even need a travel adapter most of the time - if the power cable is removable and the device doesn't need a stepdown you can probably swap the cable out with a UK one. If you buy a stepdown converter because it's not compatible with our mains power, you will probably find it converts the plug to a UK one anyway.

R

What Rui said. I'll be doing exactly this next week hopefully in the states; I don't imagine the people at Best Buy will be too happy with me opening boxes to check the power requirements.

I just did this but bought the samsung model, originally non wifi but that went missing in the post. luckily amazon refunded but due to stock had to buy the model up with wifi.

the model i have is Samsung BD-F5700

i did a lot of research regarding power, everywhere official says 110v only. inc manual and back of unit.

however, many of the multiregion sellers state its dual voltage out the box.
so, fire extinguisher nearby i took the risk..... and my one is 230v compatible - obviously i am not going to promise you they all and its your own risk etc etc.

the power cable is fixed but uk amazon sell permanent adapters for a few £ which lock the us cable in place in a uk shaped one.

one thing i will mention is im still going to try to buy uk anime primarily even if it means waiting as its already a tiny market.

I'm not sure what Samsung model I ended up grabbing in the states, but as above it stated it was only 110v compatible. I ended up getting a step up/down converter from Amazon for £20 which is currently doing the job nicely.

Now I just need to get some Region A disks to enjoy!

Thanks for the help guys! I will probably get this in the summer then, since Uni finished in March, then exams in Apr, otherwise I will go on a Region A spending spree lol

Back