ilmaestro and ayase discuss sour grapes

Re: The "Recommend Artists on Pixiv" thread

Do grapes sound sour? The fox might have been right if he could actually hear their sourness.

Honestly though, people of varying talent levels make stupid money on Patreon and good luck to them, I'm just working out how to join them. Cutesy female faces and chromatic aberration seems to be the way to go.

Are you suggesting that the grapes actually were sour? Because this has historical implications.

I don't know, were the grapes conceptual art and would declaring them sour actually make them sour? If the fox never tasted them can anyone ever know for sure whether they were sour or not? Do we need to bring Schrödinger into this, or are Nazi catboys unrelated?

Good point, allow me to rephrase:

Are you suggesting that the Fox genuinely believed the grapes to be sour? Because this has some psychological implications.

No, maestro, I'm not, I understand the concept of sour grapes. I was just having fun.

I'm still not entirely sure how it applies in this instance because I can have the guy's art if I want it just by doing "right click, save as", so it's not as if I'm denigrating it because it's unattainable. If it was because I thought I couldn't aspire to that level of artistic talent surely that's just jealousy, rather than sour grapes? I freely admit to that, I am an intensely jealous individual who finds it difficult to celebrate anyone else's success if I'm not personally acquainted with and have a positive opinion of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

As was I, I think the abstraction of the discussion had begun to cloud the intentions behind it.

It would be envy more than jealousy. I would say it could also be considered "sour grapes", but that would require more detailed knowledge of your own attempts to "make stupid money on Patreon". :p Not being able to get "the grapes" is not restricted to things that are similarly tangible in nature.

I do think there is an interesting psychological discussion to have based around whether the Fox actually convinces himself that he no longer wants the grapes or if he is fully cognisant of what he is doing, but this isn't really the thread for it. ^^;

edit: wonder if Rui would mind removing this somewhat nonsense line of discussion off to its own Sour Grapes thread? ^^;

Are we not allowed to provide our own input to whether the grapes were sour or if they were sweet instead, or maybe something else? Tasteless? Gooey?
I mean, how much value do you put on a fox's opinion on the matter? Well, they are stereotypically crafty, so some intelligence may be possessed.

For one thing, I do not specifically partake in the consumption of grapes. I do find them to be more like water balloons rather than fruits. Not really pleasant, but not disgusting either. Make them into wine, and I can give you a better idea - but even then, each bottle has a different blend of tastes from when it was a simple grape.

I think I appreciate other more talented artists rather than feel negative towards them. If anything, I'd like to make something as great as what they do - even when I'm concerned about how I create my work. There's a lot of things either unfinished or abandoned that I wanted to finish in the beginning. This is at the line-art stage of my drawings and hardly anything is coloured in. I've not even posted anything on DA for years, but I still draw.
But I can't take my folly and blame someone who works tooth-and-nail and get results.

I can see why someone would use a Twitch account to promote Paetron-backed play-throughs, but I watch a video to enjoy the reactions or trying to see how a game works. To the presenter, it's a job and a joy. Still, you chuck some coins at them for playing a game they had no part creating, but they make playing the game look great... Not to my taste, really - I'll keep the money so that I can play the game myself.
However, I would pay to support a Paetron if they are making something specific - a themed model, a unique set of pictures, an indie video that provides it's own experience. Kind of like if I did for Kickstarter. But I wouldn't pay for something that someone else is using as well.

Can't believe ayase started a whole thread about this.

Thanks Rui. ^^;

Chaz - not liking grapes is definitely wrong. You should get that looked at. :p

I somehow get the feeling that comprehension of this thread would be significantly improved by the consumption of strong hallucinogens.

ilmaestro said:
Can't believe ayase started a whole thread about this.
See this, this is the hilarious, incomprehensible and utterly confusing kind of outcome I like. :D

I may return the thread after some thought, or I may just leave it. Who can say?

To add to the matter at hand, or indeed to the absence thereof, was pomace not a popular cooking ingredient several centuries ago?

Back