If One Piece was to get a UK DVD release....

Semajer

Brigade Leader
What would you want?

I'm sure that fans already know that FUNimation have started to dub the anime from episode 144 onward and that they are releasing uncut DVDs. FUNi is also going to release the first 143 episodes uncut on DVD but is waiting until Viz's licence expires until they do so.

What would you want for the UK if it was to get a release?

Would you want the company to do the same as FUNi and start the series at 144 and the movie and then go and do the older episodes soon after, or would you want them to wait and start at episode 1?

Keep in mind that this could take several years and by then you might be wanting to move deeper into the story.

Personally I'd love if we started at 144 and had the same as FUNi. We'd get all the episodes quicker and it just seems to make more sense.

I wouldn't care - I'm importing it anyway. The whole release is several years too late anyway, I wouldn't wait another year or so to get it. It doesn't look like Revelation are planning on releasing it anytime in 2008 anyway according to the other topics made about their upcoming releases.
Revelation would go exactly the same way as the R1 release anyway - which I think is 12-13 episode boxsets isn't it?

EDIT: I'm sure it'll be many years until Funimation get to release from episode 1 anyway, Viz are still releasing 4Kids hack-up, and I'm sure they'll continue until it's all out on DVD - unless something miraculous happens. It really is an incredible shame. Die 4Kids, please. Burn Al Kahn!

I think the most likely thing would be that Manga Ent. UK would get it released over here.

I would like to get the same as what America is getting R2. Starting at the episode 144 totally uncut and Zoro in tack, Some nice SUB-note-SUBtitles to go along with the release. I doubt we shall ever get a good release over here in quite a while, with anything, unless it has a sudden epic rise in popularity. I will be importing the first DVD as soon as possible, same as Dan.

I find it strange VIZ haven't done something about the 4Kids release, They must surely know its not up-to-scratch, With them releasing Naruto and Bleach on DVD totally uncut.

A revelation is in order. [No it wasn't a pun on the DVD company]

Same treatment as America please, sucks for you guys who haven't seen that far yet, har-har-har and I'd rather have Revelation releasing it then Manga. [Sorry Manga, I just can't trust you with subs these days. </3 Even though I'll mainly be watching the dub. >_>]

Jayme said:
I find it strange VIZ haven't done something about the 4Kids release, They must surely know its not up-to-scratch, With them releasing Naruto and Bleach on DVD totally uncut.

Yeah, I'd like to know the reasoning behind it as well.

For all Viz' faults, they shouldn't be stupid enough to realise that uncut One Piece would get good sales, if not start another phenomenon like Naruto. Or maybe they've done all the research and found that it isn't worth their resources to let the license go... or something...

I'd rather have it from episode 1, but thinking about it...I've read/seen the earlier stuff (upto/including some of the Crocodile stuff) so many times, I could act the parts, so getting stuff I've never seen/read before will be nice.

I plan on importing BTW...I don't want to wait longer than I need to. =/

melonpan said:
Jayme said:

Yeah, I'd like to know the reasoning behind it as well.

For all Viz' faults, they shouldn't be stupid enough to realise that uncut One Piece would get good sales, if not start another phenomenon like Naruto. Or maybe they've done all the research and found that it isn't worth their resources to let the license go... or something...
Viz have no rights to the series at all. They released them on DVD under licence from 4Kids and have absolutely no control over the dubbing or content other than what 4Kids allow them. They stated this much when they began distribution of the DVDs.

Personally I would prefer to wait and get from episode 1 upwards with a revised dub and subtitles. As for Revelation releasing it, I wouldn't want to wait 10 years for them to catch up to where Japan is right now if they follow their current schedule...

Jayme said:
I think the most likely thing would be that Manga Ent. UK would get it released over here.
Ditto, most likely in the 2/3-disc release format of Naruto and Bleach.

I know it's mega popular in Japan, but would it be popular enough over here? (I'd like to see it happen)

Back