I.G, Tatami Galaxy's director Yuasa Raise Funds for Kick-Heart Anime

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Worth taking a look at - Production I.G and Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Genius Party, Tatami Galaxy) has launched a Kickstarter for his new animation project.

You can check it out over here - have already supported it personally as if it succeeds it could very well open the door for future projects too from Japan :).

kaze_andrew said:
Worth taking a look at - Production I.G and Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Genius Party, Tatami Galaxy) has launched a Kickstarter for his new animation project.

You can check it out over here - have already supported it personally as if it succeeds it could very well open the door for future projects too from Japan :).

I'm going to put some money into that later today, unfortunately I can't go for the big stuff but I might put in enough to get the project in HD. Really hope this succeeds.

Pro wrestling nun? How can I not fund that? I'll probably put in a bit tomorrow. I'll probably only be able to donate enough to get a SD digital copy though. Oh well, any penny helps I guess?

Reevothemusefan said:
kaze_andrew said:

I'm going to put some money into that later today, unfortunately I can't go for the big stuff but I might put in enough to get the project in HD. Really hope this succeeds.

I could only afford the $15 level, but I'm happy just to be able to get a copy for that amount. Really hope this succeeds. Oh to be able to pledge $10,000 :roll:

Going in at $60 for the bluray. Would love to go higher for the storyboard art but can't really without getting in trouble. Best pledge I've made so far :)

"Director Masaaki Yuasa (Kaiba, Mind Game, The Tatami Galaxy) announced on Monday that he and Production I.G are running a Kickstarter fundraising program for Kick-Heart, a 2D animated short that will be about 10 minutes long.

The program's page describes the story:

Kick-Heart is a love story between Romeo, a successful pro-wrestler, and Juliet, a nun who lives a secret double-life as a female pro-wrestler. Romeo's secret is that he enjoys taking a beating in the ring, while Juliet feels invigorated when facing her opponents as a wrestler. When the two meet in the ring, the fireworks fly. Their story is set in the colorful backdrop of the professional wrestling world. Will Juliet reveal her true identity to the one she loves? Will Romeo be able to share his secret to the world?
The project lists Mamoru Oshii as a project consultant. Animator Michio Mihara is designing the characters, and Eunyoung Choi is the color key artist. Kevin Aymeric is handling the backgrounds.

The project aims to raise US$150,000 by October 31 at 12:00 a.m. EDT."
From ANN

The Kickstarter fund-raising page

This is particular important as for the first time, a Japanese anime director and company will raise funds from the public, rather than corporate investors. It is a game-changing move and might even give fans a lot more say in how anime are produced in the future.

Re: I.G, Tatami Galaxy's director Yuasa Raise Funds for Kick

Hey, I'm moving the posts to this topic I've created for this.
I did a campaign on indiegogo which works in a very similar fashion that Kickstarter, but it's also open for the UK. If you support this project, I'd recommend you to hit the FB like button on Kickstarter, if possible tweet about it And best of all, donate as well. Kickstarter in a way, works like a popularity contest! So, the more hype the public create about a project, the more exposure it will have in Kickstarter itself, therefore enhancing the chances of the project succeeding.

So, even if you cannot donate to the project, get liking and tweeting about it, that you will be helping them out anyway!

kaze_andrew said:

Hey Andrew, I've posted about it earlier today as well. I've been watching kickstarter slowly, but surely creeping into the manga / anime scene and I'm even proposing a company to try and use Kickstarter as a mean to fund and understand the interest for a particular title in BD (Perhaps, you can try something like this at Kaze? I didn't bring this to you earlier, as I understand that the final decision might not be yours.... but then again, it's just an assumption of mine and I'd love to be proven wrong).

In my opinion, I think that this will can change everything. For the first time, an anime company has openly targeted an anime to a worldwide audience. I think this is an opportunity to actually create a channel between fans and creators that never existed before.

Reevothemusefan said:
That's two of us. But honestly, 17,000 dollars in a day doesn't seem to be doing too bad! =) If it keeps going like this, it will soon be featured at kickstarter email newsletter and homepage, and most projects that gets to the home page reach their goals.

Joshawott said:
Pro wrestling nun? How can I not fund that? I'll probably put in a bit tomorrow. I'll probably only be able to donate enough to get a SD digital copy though. Oh well, any penny helps I guess?
Good man. You just reminded me that liking and tweeting about it also helps the project, s the more people that does it, the more Kickstarter itself will promote the project!

st_owly said:
I could only afford the $15 level, but I'm happy just to be able to get a copy for that amount. Really hope this succeeds. Oh to be able to pledge $10,000 :roll:
I really wanted to have that money!
If only I had a job, I would even consider borrowing the money, only for the chance to speak with Oshii and Yuasa! Maybe, i'll create another fund-raising campaign to get the funds to donate 10k to them and go have dinner with Oshii =) I'm quite sure that once the news reach Japanese shores, some GiTS fanatic will get that.....

FourthLion said:
Going in at $60 for the bluray. Would love to go higher for the storyboard art but can't really without getting in trouble. Best pledge I've made so far :)
Hehe, and to think that I'm actually considering getting myself into serious trouble.....

To debate - the biggest criticisms I've seen from people so far for the project are:

1. IG is a big studio with big money - why back it?
2. $15 for SD, $30 for a 10 min HD file is too much.

1.'s answer should be clear - they are a commercial studio and projects like this are risky and you have no great way to monetize a 10-20 minute work on its own easily so they're trying a new way to cover some of the costs and make a better product than they could do sans support.

2 is a tougher one to argue about and is almost subjective from person to person. How do you feel on this one folks?

Andrew
FWIW I backed it for a good number, not a crazy one though!

If I had the money I'd definitely have gone for the 10k. However, I don't, so I went for a more normal bid :(

I don't think there's such a thing as an absolute value on anything. $15-$30 for a DTO movie is a lot, undeniably, but they're not selling a product here as much as giving you an incentive for investing in something which otherwise may never come to exist, which is why people who back with the smallest amount get absolutely nothing. And $30 would have been stupendously cheap for a Japanese BD on a small print run, really, not something which could also have been used to sustain the creation costs of the actual film.

I feel good about the project. I don't see how anyone other than an established anime company could have made the first move to get anime onto Kickstarter (all of those dodgy little derivative projects which break all kinds of intellectual copyright rules notwithstanding), so I don't see what the point in criticising I.G. for anything is. People can just not pledge if they don't like it.

I signed up to Kickstarter today specifically to bid on the project, so it's not as though it took away money from any of the other things on there I didn't want to back.

Edit: The short run time doesn't bother me personally either; I'd rather watch 10 minutes of amazingness than 10,000 minutes of Eastenders any day.

R

Rui said:
Edit: The short run time doesn't bother me personally either; I'd rather watch 10 minutes of amazingness than 10,000 minutes of Eastenders any day.

This!

I've put a very nice sum into the project, hopefully I can look forward to watching it on Blu-ray! :D

Also this is my first time putting some money into a kickstarter project, feels good man.

Rui said:
The short run time doesn't bother me personally either; I'd rather watch 10 minutes of amazingness than 10,000 minutes of Eastenders any day.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure most people would also rather eat an ice cream than be subject to water-boarding for a week.

As much of a dastardly killjoy as it makes me feel, I was only hyped until I saw that runtime. Ten minutes is nothing. It's animation test length. Special feature on a DVD length. Perhaps most worryingly of all it's... shorter than Kai Doh Maru, and I felt like I had watched a whole lot of nothing after seeing Kai Doh Maru. I can't think what I could possibly see on a screen in that time which would make me consider the experience worth $1.50 per minute. And I'm confident if I had sixty dollars to spend on ten minutes of enjoyment, I could find a far more satisfying experience than this...

Kick-Heart sounds to me like a very fun project with an unquestionably talented team, but with it's sights set pitifully low.

This is actually a little scary. I discussed the possibility of kickstarter being used not long ago with a few others and i honestly wasn't expecting to see it used, at least not straight away. So it's definitely nice to see, as i certainly didn't expect, or rather, i didn't realise that the kickstarter idea had even made an impact on the eastern market, i thought it was more of a western thing. So this is fantastic. I expect i'll be putting in a pledge soon enough, i just need pay day to hit first

ayase said:
Kick-Heart sounds to me like a very fun project with an unquestionably talented team, but with it's sights set pitifully low.

That's a perfectly reasonable opinion, but in my way of thinking (which is skewed heavily by my hobbies and my ownership of several BDs/DVDs with ridiculously short runtimes), I've had more meaningful entertainment experiences from five minute pop videos at times than from feature length movies. And this project is substantially longer than most music videos, with a cracking, silly-sounding plot. It helps that some of Yuasa's previous work has left a very strong, positive impression on me; if it was some unknown amateur at the reins I'd have more reservations.

I think Kai Doh Maru's issues may have run deeper than its runtime. Some creators are capable of making it feel as though you've achieved nothing no matter how long they are given to tell their story; others pack in so much that you get to the eyecatch in an episode and can't believe how much has happened.

R

kaze_andrew said:
To debate - the biggest criticisms I've seen from people so far for the project are:

1. IG is a big studio with big money - why back it?
2. $15 for SD, $30 for a 10 min HD file is too much.

1.'s answer should be clear - they are a commercial studio and projects like this are risky and you have no great way to monetize a 10-20 minute work on its own easily so they're trying a new way to cover some of the costs and make a better product than they could do sans support.

2 is a tougher one to argue about and is almost subjective from person to person. How do you feel on this one folks?

Andrew
FWIW I backed it for a good number, not a crazy one though!
Big commercial studio, ok, but as you said, they need funding for the craziest projects. This one is definitely not making any money back to them. So, I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

As for your second point, I did a campaign to raise funds for my own short films recently. One suceeded, the other didn't and I'd read an awful lot about kickstarter and indiegogo to understand how this all works and how to make my fun-raising campaigns succeed. It turns out, that one of the most important tip I've received was "perceived price". Unfortunately, Studio IG seems to be playing with the perceived price of anime for the japanese market, which I think is a mistake, but still, let's see how the project fare.

Considering it's the second day and they are reached 1/3 of their goal already, I'm pretty much convinced they will make it.

Rui said:
If I had the money I'd definitely have gone for the 10k. However, I don't, so I went for a more normal bid :
I'm actually checking if I can make the money somehow for the big one, my sister own me a lot of money, so if I can convince her to make her pay me back in a go instead of the really nice installments we agreed on. I'd actually be using money I've been saving to buy a house, but I don't really want to think about it now.... I'm kinda getting scared that I'll really go crazy and do it =P

Rui said:
I don't think there's such a thing as an absolute value on anything. $15-$30 for a DTO movie is a lot, undeniably, but they're not selling a product here as much as giving you an incentive for investing in something which otherwise may never come to exist, which is why people who back with the smallest amount get absolutely nothing. And $30 would have been stupendously cheap for a Japanese BD on a small print run, really, not something which could also have been used to sustain the creation costs of the actual film.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. There's a huge gap in perceived values between japanese and westerners. But I'm quite impressed to notice that most of the backers are between 60 and 250 dollars. When I clicked on the backers I was surprised to see the number of americans backing this project, specially considering how cheap they can get these stuff over there, so definitely, the perceived value of quality has been noticed for this project.

Rui said:
I feel good about the project. I don't see how anyone other than an established anime company could have made the first move to get anime onto Kickstarter (all of those dodgy little derivative projects which break all kinds of intellectual copyright rules notwithstanding), so I don't see what the point in criticising I.G. for anything is. People can just not pledge if they don't like it.

I signed up to Kickstarter today specifically to bid on the project, so it's not as though it took away money from any of the other things on there I didn't want to back.

R
Kickstarter is only for America right now, but they are coming to the UK. I first heard about them to fund the Tezuka's mangas to English, which I also contributed a nice value.
After this, I've created fund-raisings of my own and had a successful project and a not successful one. In my opinion, it's the ultimate power to the people tool to get your entertainment.

Reevothemusefan said:
Also this is my first time putting some money into a kickstarter project, feels good man.
Welcome to the club! =D Hope there's more awesome projects that deserve your backing in the future.

ayase said:
As much of a dastardly killjoy as it makes me feel, I was only hyped until I saw that runtime. Ten minutes is nothing. It's animation test length. Special feature on a DVD length. Perhaps most worryingly of all it's... shorter than Kai Doh Maru, and I felt like I had watched a whole lot of nothing after seeing Kai Doh Maru. I can't think what I could possibly see on a screen in that time which would make me consider the experience worth $1.50 per minute. And I'm confident if I had sixty dollars to spend on ten minutes of enjoyment, I could find a far more satisfying experience than this...

While it all makes sense, not actually thinking on Kick-heart in itself, I'm actually wondering about the opportunities that the success of this project will bring. Like I mentioned before, helping them create hype also helps the project, so if you don't feel like helping financially, like it on facebook or tweet about it!

Ok, sorry, I'll stop being such a happy-go-lucky person now ;)

Arbalest said:
This is actually a little scary. I discussed the possibility of kickstarter being used not long ago with a few others and i honestly wasn't expecting to see it used, at least not straight away. So it's definitely nice to see, as i certainly didn't expect, or rather, i didn't realise that the kickstarter idea had even made an impact on the eastern market, i thought it was more of a western thing. So this is fantastic. I expect i'll be putting in a pledge soon enough, i just need pay day to hit first
Why scary? I saw this coming from miles away! Although, I expected it a little bit sooner.
AFAIK, the Tesla museum project got over a million dollars funding, Amanda Palmer also managed to raise over a million dollars for her record and tour, so now others are surely looking into this!
In any case, I agree with you on the Eastern market thing though, as far as I know Kickstarter are not even operating anywhere other than America yet.

Rui said:
That's a perfectly reasonable opinion, but in my way of thinking (which is skewed heavily by my hobbies and my ownership of several BDs/DVDs with ridiculously short runtimes), I've had more meaningful entertainment experiences from five minute pop videos at times than from feature length movies. And this project is substantially longer than most music videos, with a cracking, silly-sounding plot. It helps that some of Yuasa's previous work has left a very strong, positive impression on me; if it was some unknown amateur at the reins I'd have more reservations.

I think Kai Doh Maru's issues may have run deeper than its runtime. Some creators are capable of making it feel as though you've achieved nothing no matter how long they are given to tell their story; others pack in so much that you get to the eyecatch in an episode and can't believe how much has happened.

Another one that makes sense. But in fairness, it's a matter of resources, considering we all have limited resources, it's up to us to decide where to invest them. If I unlimited resources, the 10k pack would have my name to it a long time ago....

chaos said:
Why scary? I saw this coming from miles away! Although, I expected it a little bit sooner.
AFAIK, the Tesla museum project got over a million dollars funding, Amanda Palmer also managed to raise over a million dollars for her record and tour, so now others are surely looking into this!
In any case, I agree with you on the Eastern market thing though, as far as I know Kickstarter are not even operating anywhere other than America yet.

Basically scary due to the fact that we actually discussed it not long ago, and now no more than a couple weeks later, here it is. i expect it'll be successful as well with it nearly at 1/3rd of the way already, but yeah, it was more that this appeared not long after.
And yeah, the eastern market thing is the bit i've been interested in the most, not just in the anime market, but the gaming market as well. Western devs like Double Fine, and games like wasteland 2, shadowrun returns have all had huge success(Double fine got 834% more than they asked for), and project eternity is doing massively well, so you'd imagine eastern devs would've picked up on it sooner after seeing that.

I think there are some cultural differences involved in that Japan has a very healthy doujin industry already (which functions as a meritocracy and has had some enormous success stories). I'm talking about the whole doujin industry, not just the smutty semi-professional comics people overseas know it for. It's on a completely different level to our indie scene these days, and that of America's.

So that leaves corporate projects, and there's a certain lack of credibility in a big project having to go cap in hand and beg for money before entering production which will harm the reputations of those involved. This project is a big deal because the names attached are all very respectable within their industry, so the reception this project gets is going to set the scene for how this kind of thing is approached in future. I don't see it changing how normal business is done in Japan, but there are a few projects stuck in limbo which could really benefit from this model. Like, for example, Yumemiru Kikai, which was famously suspended due to funding problems. They already embarrassed themselves admitting that much, so I hope we can get the film one day and if this is the model that is needed for it to happen, that's fine.

It also has ramifications for the west, as Production I.G. dipping their toes in might demystify the process for the Japanese companies (some users have been translating the English instructions to help Japanese fans pledge). Once they understand it all a bit more, perhaps some projects which stalled indefinitely before can be started up again so we can benefit.

It's hard to understand from the outside, remember, how an audience which balks at paying a tenner for a DVD set most of the time can suddenly be so generous with their cash out of nowhere. The Japanese creators are watching how we react to this with great curiosity.

We've had this kind of outpouring of support before in the western anime fandom and I stumbled upon this incredibly nostalgic website when looking for a good example:

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/rkwong/ ... index.html

It makes for wonderful reading now after all these years have passed. I hope that projects like this Kickstarter effort evoke a similarly warm feeling when I look back on them in years to come, too.

R

Rui said:
It's hard to understand from the outside, remember, how an audience which balks at paying a tenner for a DVD set most of the time can suddenly be so generous with their cash out of nowhere. The Japanese creators are watching how we react to this with great curiosity.
From the outside? It's hard for me to understand! I think Kickstarter has some sort ofuncanny ability to disengage the brains of the people pledging (no offence intended chaos :p)... I just view it like pre-ordering something, and decide how much I think it's worth. But I don't know why anyone would donate the lowest amounts to a profit making venture for nothing in return, nor am I really a fan of the idea that donating more money will make the creators bend their creation to their richest fans' desires. At least this isn't doing that.

Arbalest said:
And yeah, the eastern market thing is the bit i've been interested in the most, not just in the anime market, but the gaming market as well. Western devs like Double Fine, and games like wasteland 2, shadowrun returns have all had huge success(Double fine got 834% more than they asked for), and project eternity is doing massively well, so you'd imagine eastern devs would've picked up on it sooner after seeing that.
I'm not sure how the Japanese actually see this. There may actually be a cultural issue here, and also, they have a way more organised and healthier "indie" industry than we do.

Rui said:
So that leaves corporate projects, and there's a certain lack of credibility in a big project having to go cap in hand and beg for money before entering production which will harm the reputations of those involved. This project is a big deal because the names attached are all very respectable within their industry, so the reception this project gets is going to set the scene for how this kind of thing is approached in future. I don't see it changing how normal business is done in Japan, but there are a few projects stuck in limbo which could really benefit from this model. Like, for example, Yumemiru Kikai, which was famously suspended due to funding problems. They already embarrassed themselves admitting that much, so I hope we can get the film one day and if this is the model that is needed for it to happen, that's fine.
Commercial projects will not benefit, but the craziest ideas may only come to life through this.

Rui said:

We've had this kind of outpouring of support before in the western anime fandom and I stumbled upon this incredibly nostalgic website when looking for a good example:

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/rkwong/ ... index.html

It makes for wonderful reading now after all these years have passed. I hope that projects like this Kickstarter effort evoke a similarly warm feeling when I look back on them in years to come, too.
Hey, first I read about Kimagure like this.... I've tried to buy it a couple years ago, but it was really difficult. I may have to take a look and maybe retry sometime soon.

ayase said:
From the outside? It's hard for me to understand! I think Kickstarter has some sort ofuncanny ability to disengage the brains of the people pledging (no offence intended chaos :p)... I just view it like pre-ordering something, and decide how much I think it's worth. But I don't know why anyone would donate the lowest amounts to a profit making venture for nothing in return, nor am I really a fan of the idea that donating more money will make the creators bend their creation to their richest fans' desires. At least this isn't doing that.
You think as pre-order as think as Arts Patronage. A project like this, with names like that, may very well happen regardless of the results of the Kickstarter campaign and I very well understand where you come from you, when you say that you see it as pre-ordering.

Take another campaign for instance: http://www.indiegogo.com/openshortfilm?c=home

This is a campaign to raise funds for the short film I've been helping with. Unlike Kick heart, without people's pledge, the project wold not happen or maybe it would take us a few months to raise the remaining funds we needed, through cake sales or anything like that.

With this said, I don't think these acts like a way to buy products, but a way to give someone the means to create.

Oh, yes, forgot to mention. This project in particular, I may agree that's no "fan bending script" involved, but a few other projects had. Fan supporting a wrestling anime and not supporting a moe anime for instance, would send creators a certain message as well and so on.... Suggestion send to creators at this stage may also be way more powerful that hundreds of messages posts posterior to the work creation as well, specially from backers, as there is the inherently message "I believe in your work, even before I've seen it, so here's some money to get this done".....

Arts patronage is a good way of looking at it I suppose chaos, and I'd tend to agree in situations where the art being produced isn't intended to be profit making... But personally it would make me feel rather uneasy to give charity to any profit making venture.

I guess I have a rather old fashioned view of the creative industries in that I believe creators should create what they want (without pandering) and the market should then decide if their creations succeed or fail. Profitability driving creative decisions I don't like, and I worry that Kickstarter is just another means of doing the same old thing rather than anything new - That creators will just start doing what they know their fans want (and will fund) rather than what they themselves want to do (which they might not fund) almost as though everything will become a fan commission. I can see less risks being taken if we start relying on this model - not that there aren't already less risks being taken through use of focus groups and other marketing and PR ********.

Back