Howl's Moving Castle is moving on...

Neon-Noir

Dandy Guy, in Space
I know this has probably been covered in another thread over and over, but if you haven't seen the magical Howl's Moving Castle at the big screen yet, you have to get your finger out, because it won't be showing for a lot longer.
After the anime expo yestaerday me, my brother and teacher went to see the 8.10 showing at the Odeon, Leicester Square.
The film was stunning, with the best Ghibli animation I've seen so far, and the dub was also the best of their efforts. You really have to see it on the big screen to really get the full impact, don't wait for the dvd release.
It's showing until thursday in London, so make the journey and go and see it. It is really worth it.

It's good, but nowhere near the best ghibli movie. The ending is a bit rushed really. It's showing at so few places now though, mostly london cinemas... go see it if you can, but it's very unlikely that you can...

kupoartist said:
It's good, but nowhere near the best ghibli movie. The ending is a bit rushed really. It's showing at so few places now though, mostly london cinemas... go see it if you can, but it's very unlikely that you can...

I wouldn't say the ending was rushed - it certainly never felt like it. I was just left wondering what had happened to sophies curse - her hair was still grey at the end!

Brilliant film all round.

It left any cinema near me ages ago, would have been nice to go and see it again.
I really enjoyed it, as others have said it wasn't the best Ghibli movie; and it was beautiful, but no where near as nice as Spirited Away. In Spirited Away you saw the ripples in the long grass, all the background was perfect, and the water looked just amazing. Howl's was still amazing in comparison to many other things, but not as beautiful as Spirited Away

See, I'm not a Spirited Away fan... Animation-wise it's great, but the characters come across on the whole as 2-dimensional.
The whole world of Ingary just seems to have a far more organic look, while still keeping it's ethereal quality.
In Howl's you have this cool and confident wizard, who is lonely on the inside, and Sofie is just perfect, the way she becomes this Mother and lover figure in the same breath. It's a lot more adult rather than innocent Spirited Away.
The ending was an issue, because it all just clicked into place - but I found that was part of the movie. The plot was never the issue. It was just a case of the characters within their own world and their development. Loose ends were left untied, but they didn't need to be.
Perhaps it's worth reading the book before it's out on dvd over here.

Yes i was thinking of reading the book, it can be a hard thing to adapt something really well, and to leave enough out to fit it into the aloted time, while leaving enough to get the story across properly. And i wanted to read it because i just think it's the kind of book i like :lol: .
Spirited Away is still my favourite Ghibli film, but i agree with you that there is less depth and story behind the characters than in Howl's, you really know alot more about Sophie and Howl than you do Chihiro and Haku, one of my favourite scenes in Howl's is where Howl has his big hissy fit about his hair :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Charter_Mage said:
one of my favourite scenes in Howl's is where Howl has his big hissy fit about his hair :)

Oh yeah, that was one scene i never really expect from Miyazaki, but it works really well!

cornixt said:
Ha ha! A good film overall I'd say, even if I did have to sit in the cinema with about 20 kids.
I know tell me about it, there was hardly any people there when i went, and those that were there were all kids that took about half an hour to settle down

Lol. I saw it late at night and the small theatre was full up with adults. I loved the atmosphere.

Anyway, I started the book yesterday, but I don't get to read it that much with school and work. I'm about 60 pages in, and it really gives a lot more explination of things so far. Sofie's back story with her sisters is explored much more and makes a lot of sense in relation to later events. The castle gets a bit more depth and generally questioned that were always at the back of your mind are answered and explained.

Also, you can pick out the parts of the film that are pure Miyazaki. The part where Howl first meets Sofie and takes her flying through the town is not in the book, neither is Micheal rolling out his beard to greet every new customer - and it's little touches like these that make the film more magical.

I really liked those little bits in the film, little bit of a shame they arn't in the book, though i think nice additions to the film.
I will have to hurry up and get the book so i can read it too, i think it will be something i will have to have ordered in

Didnt get to see it at the pictures, godam cinema near me are crap. One of my teachers is hooked on ghibli movies. cant wait to get it on dvd, as soon as i get a bit of dosh.

kupoartist said:
It's good, but nowhere near the best ghibli movie.

I actually think it’s the best ghibli, so much so that I saw it twice. Neo made Nausicaa out to be the best ghibli and its definitely not, maybe third or fourth. It's good but the story is to slow moving and not an awful lot happens in it compared to Howls and Spirited Away, and then you have that cheesy 80s synthesizer music.

Dragon of Heaven said:
kupoartist said:
It's good, but nowhere near the best ghibli movie.

I actually think it’s the best ghibli, so much so that I saw it twice. Neo made Nausicaa out to be the best ghibli and its definitely not, maybe third or fourth. It's good but the story is to slow moving and not an awful lot happens in it compared to Howls and Spirited Away, and then you have that cheesy 80s synthesizer music.

I found Nausicaa a funny one. Its quite a depressing story from Miyazaki (the portrayal seems much darker than mononoke) but somehow, it doesn't quite feel as epic as it should do. I liked the music though, i thought the use of electronic music was very tastefully done, both very unusual, but very fitting to the post apocalyptic nature of the film.

I'd put it above Castle in the Sky in my Ghibli list, and tieing with Kiki, but they're all really good so i wouldn't complain too much.

Back