How to buy blu rays post-Brexit outside of the UK?

Stiivun

Stand User
Guess there will be no problem if you‘re located in the UK. Personally I got a message from UP1 that it will take seven more days for my package to be delivered, which was shipped last week on Tuesday and usually only take two days to arrive in Belgium. They also shipped Millennium Actress this week, and i guess they used another method for this.

Dan

Thousand Master
Guess there will be no problem if you‘re located in the UK. Personally I got a message from UP1 that it will take seven more days for my package to be delivered, which was shipped last week on Tuesday and usually only take two days to arrive in Belgium. They also shipped Millennium Actress this week, and i guess they used another method for this.
I was reading what @Rui had put here unless I’m misunderstanding what he’s saying
As you folks in Europe might not be aware, there have been major issues with one of our biggest (cheapest) couriers post-Brexit (DPD, or Chronopost/Geopost on the continent) and they have been returning shipments to companies as undeliverable because their UK digital customs data collection system is not fit for purpose. So if UP1 use them, or another similar courier, they'll be struggling to get stuff into Europe at the moment. DPD's reaction was to suspend all ground shipments to Europe outright until they get the problem sorted out.

R

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
I was reading what @Rui had put here unless I’m misunderstanding what he’s saying

Are you in the UK, though? Because you don't need an importer number to order from UP1 to the UK :)

You can apply for one through HMRC if you are invited to give a supplier an EORI. Amazon.com don't care at the moment as they pre-clear everything as your agent via their courier.

This thread is for EU-based fans who used to purchase anime from the UK back when it was easy, and now have extra red tape to deal with.

(In other news, DPD is supposedly restoring its EU road service in the next 24 hours.)

R

Dan

Thousand Master
Are you in the UK, though? Because you don't need an importer number to order from UP1 to the UK :)

You can apply for one through HMRC if you are invited to give a supplier an EORI. Amazon.com don't care at the moment as they pre-clear everything as your agent via their courier.

This thread is for EU-based fans who used to purchase anime from the UK back when it was easy, and now have extra red tape to deal with.

(In other news, DPD is supposedly restoring its EU road service in the next 24 hours.)

R
Ah ok...I was just a little worried that DPD weren’t sending stuff from the US to UK but think I’ve got the wrong end of the stick 🤫

IdiomaticLynx

Student Council President
While not about Blu-rays, but books, I thought it might of interest to some. Book Depository is delivering to EU countries again. The delivery time estimates are 6-18 days longer than they used to be. And, as you might've guessed, prices have gone up.

Right before Brexit, I scraped the prices of most manga and light novels. Today I scraped the prices again to compare. The price went up by 13.5% on average. However, some even dropped in price and a considerable amount kept the same price (roughly).
# BooksPercentage
Price reduction3624.46%
Same price (±2% of old price)92511.40%
Price increase682484.13%
Total: 8111
For a good chunk the price increase is closer to 20%, though :(. AFAICS there was no correlation between the price of the book and the increase. So not sure what the price increase actually encompasses, but let's hope that over time they'll find a way to bring the prices down.

Do note that Book Depository has always had different prices depending on where you're from, so the above might not reflect what has changed for you depending on where you're from.

sniper_samurai

Dragon Knight
While not about Blu-rays, but books, I thought it might of interest to some. Book Depository is delivering to EU countries again. The delivery time estimates are 6-18 days longer than they used to be. And, as you might've guessed, prices have gone up.
Didn't know they'd stopped, they've still been delivering to Ireland, though books are exempt from VAT here.

Stiivun

Stand User
Seems this is no longer an issue, as today I received Cyber City Oedo 808 and the price on the package label was exactly what I paid for it. But would have been nice to at least receive an answer from AL, for customer satisfaction sakes.

IdiomaticLynx

I ended up not inquiring about the wrong value being declared, as the other items I received later that day were correct (though didn't take the 10% off code into account). The next day a large part of my order (incl. BOGOF items) arrived with the correct value declared as well.

kaptajnklaphat

Completely Average High School Student
I ended up not inquiring about the wrong value being declared, as the other items I received later that day were correct (though didn't take the 10% off code into account). The next day a large part of my order (incl. BOGOF items) arrived with the correct value declared as well.
Did the BOGOF items get declared as £0/free?

IdiomaticLynx

Did the BOGOF items get declared as £0/free?
I received all the BOGOF items from my order in one parcel shipped through FedEx. It didn't contain any breakdown of the individual items, unlike the items that got shipped through Royal Mail (where the declared value was listed per item on the CN23 form). So all I can say is that the declared value ended up being the exact amount I paid for them (correctly taking into account the BOGOF).

I have no idea how they would deal with it if the items were split in different shipments or even sent individually.

Monokuma

Hikikomori
I live in Greece and I have the exact same problem as the original poster. I bought almost everything from the UK and now I am trying to figure out alternative methods. The issue seems way too complicated to me and as I understand it won't matter what the new laws say but how each EU country is going to implement them. Because if the post asks you to pay 50 euro in taxes for a package it won't matter if you think it is not according to the new laws, you will have to pay it.

From what I have read so far it seems you haven't mentioned two important points. First the threshold of 22 euro below which we didn't have to pay anything is going to be removed on the 1st of July 2021. Which means that EVERY package from then on will be subject to VAT, handling fees, taxes, duties tariffs etc and when a company like Book Depository sends you an order of 10 items in 10 packages you will have to pay 10 times the tax even if each package's value is small, like an 8 euro manga for example. And in Greece the national post charges 15 euro + 24%*total_value right now for every package over 22 euro from outside the EU. When the 22 euro limit goes away, Book Depository and other similar shops will be out of the question.

The second point that no-one mentions is that tariffs will be waived for products send from the UK as long as they are MADE in the UK. If you buy something that is made in USA, or China or wherever else besides the UK there will be extra tariffs on top of VAT, handling fees, taxes etc. How they are going to enforce it I don't know.

If I am wrong in any of the above feel free to correct me.

The only thing I can't find any info about is how packages that are sent between individuals will be handled. When a package is sent from me to you and not from a seller to a buyer, the non commercials packages. These packages didn't require paperwork because obviously it doesn't exist and had a bigger value threshold in the past. If anyone has found any information about these packages please share.

I care about this because that's how forwarding services work. You rent a virtual address in the UK and you sent all your packages there, then whenever you want, like once in a month, you ask them to consolidate all your packages into one and write on the customs label it is a gift to your cousin with used, second hand items that worth a small value like 10 euro. They put them all in a box with no labels and no-one can officially ask for invoices and stuff. I used this method a lot when I was buying from Japan with no problems. But now with the UK I don't know if it will work.

As alternatives, currently I have two on my mind although they are not good ones. For anime/manga/toys/board games in English in Europe there is Archonia.com which is based in Belgium. It has a decent selection but its prices are very high, almost double the standard price, but at least you will know what you will pay up-front and you won't have to deal with customs.

Another store I use for anime blu-ray is www.wowhd.co.uk. Almost everything is Region A (US) but although they say that everything ships from the US, my last 4-5 orders were shipped from the Netherlands. Since like the original poster I have a US blu-ray player too I don't mind buying US releases. The problem is that you don't know why they are currently shipping from an EU warehouse and if and when are going to stop. To me it seems like a huge plus nowadays having a warehouse inside the EU, so if that is true why aren't they telling us so, so we can buy more stuff and with ease of mind? That's the only beef I have with them. Their selection is very good and so are their prices.

By the way has anyone from the EU tried buying stuff from Amazon.co.uk? On the checkout they add an amount for Import Frees Deposit but they say that I won't have to pay anything else. Does it really work? I made an small exploratory order of around 40 GBP and they charged me around 5 GBP for import fees deposit which is way less than what the national post would have charged me. The thing is that the order hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if it will work. Also, I choose standard method for shipping and they sent the package with RMLGB with a tracking ID: UYxxxxxxxxxGB. No idea what this RMLGB service is and who will actually handle the package locally.

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
By the way has anyone from the EU tried buying stuff from Amazon.co.uk? On the checkout they add an amount for Import Frees Deposit but they say that I won't have to pay anything else. Does it really work? I made an small exploratory order of around 40 GBP and they charged me around 5 GBP for import fees deposit which is way less than what the national post would have charged me. The thing is that the order hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if it will work. Also, I choose standard method for shipping and they sent the package with RMLGB with a tracking ID: UYxxxxxxxxxGB. No idea what this RMLGB service is and who will actually handle the package locally.

All international (non-intra-EU) parcels require paperwork, it doesn't matter whether they are personal or business. Taxes on books are usually at a reduced rate though Greece's reduced rates seem a lot less generous. The changes in July are going to be a big shake-up but hopefully it will at least mean fewer handling fees.

RMLGB is Royal Mail (GB) which will be Airmail, so usually your national postal service will perform the final delivery. No idea about the import fees as that will vary country to country but if they are taking a deposit they should be covering it - I had a situation once where I ordered JP-UK and paid the import fee deposit then got an invoice from DHL too. They had DHL cancel the charge.

R

sniper_samurai

Dragon Knight
Amazon charges you for the customs fee and VAT for your country up front, you shouldn't have any additional charges upon delivery.

IdiomaticLynx

First the threshold of 22 euro below which we didn't have to pay anything is going to be removed on the 1st of July 2021. Which means that EVERY package from then on will be subject to VAT, handling fees, taxes, duties tariffs etc and when a company like Book Depository sends you an order of 10 items in 10 packages you will have to pay 10 times the tax even if each package's value is small, like an 8 euro manga for example.
Every package will indeed be subject to VAT. But any handling fee or tariffs really depends on the situation. I'm not sure what other taxes you're referring to?

In the case of Book Depository, assuming they continue to send individual books from the UK, that would indeed come down to handling fee + VAT (likely a reduced rate for books). The tariff on printed books is 0%, so that doesn't apply here.

But that is assuming Book Depository won't change anything on/after the 1st of July. I'm sure a large portion of their customer base is in the EU. And since they are owned by Amazon, I honestly expect some change as a reaction. Whether that will be reshipping from an EU country (EU distribution centre?), letting you prepay the import tax or just shipping everything in one box, we'll have to see.

The second point that no-one mentions is that tariffs will be waived for products send from the UK as long as they are MADE in the UK. If you buy something that is made in USA, or China or wherever else besides the UK there will be extra tariffs on top of VAT, handling fees, taxes etc. How they are going to enforce it I don't know.
Unless I'm missing something, for most products that are of interest here (optical media, printed books) there are no tariffs. As an example, optical disc from USA to Greece also shows up as 0%: Access2Markets Results

Another store I use for anime blu-ray is www.wowhd.co.uk. Almost everything is Region A (US) but although they say that everything ships from the US, my last 4-5 orders were shipped from the Netherlands.
Having used WOW HD before (they actually have a Dutch front as well: wowhd.nl), I also have no idea when they ship from where. Whenever I place an order I always assume the worst. There's probably a reason why they don't clearly state it on their site.

By the way has anyone from the EU tried buying stuff from Amazon.co.uk? On the checkout they add an amount for Import Frees Deposit but they say that I won't have to pay anything else. Does it really work? I made an small exploratory order of around 40 GBP and they charged me around 5 GBP for import fees deposit which is way less than what the national post would have charged me.
It really works, they collect the amount up front as a deposit. This works the same on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.jp. I must say I really like the way it works: No additional charges and, at least for me, less delay at customs. In case the import fees ended up lower than estimated, Amazon even refunds you the difference.

Not sure what the contents of your small exploratory order is, but could it be that the items fall under the reduced VAT rate in Greece? If Wikipedia is correct, the reduced VAT rate in Greece is 13%, which for 40 GBP is about 5.20 GBP ≈ 5 GBP

In a way I really hope that import fees deposits/prepaying will become common place. I don't mind paying VAT, but the handling fees are always painfully high. Not to mention the extra time those packages take at customs, or the risk that the sender splits to order in parts. Sure, it's nice whenever a package slips through, but I'd gladly trade that for predictability and peace of mind.

praseodimio65

Completely Average High School Student
In all honesty I think the whole "service fee" thing should be regulated, at least for parcels for which only VAT has to be collected. They charge a ridiculous amount of money, and, considering that they've already tried to charge me twice on the same parcel for this (and to charge the VAT on the VAT itself wtf), their "paperwork-handling abilities" are not really worth 15-25€. Either that or they should make it easier to handle imports yourself (for example you can do this in Spain but it's a mess).

Robin91

I really hope that pre payment of VAT like Amazon does will be standard procedure for everyone soon. Having to pay this ****** handling fee for every package really kills most of my blind buys and sale purchases from MVM for example and it will limit my spending to be honest.

Scavenger

Great Teacher
I received something from Zavvi.nl last week that was over the €22 threshold. Didn't have to pay VAT. Bubble mailer mentions NL as country of origin, a value of €24.59 and a PO Box in Guernsey as return address.

Last edited:

Hunter_Killer

School Idol
I asked UP1 about removing UK VAT for customer from EU, and...

"Please note after LONG talk with UK customs we have been advised we no longer need to charge UK VAT 20%"

Hell yeah, the best UK back to life after Brexit, he he

Last edited: