How to buy blu rays post-Brexit outside of the UK?

ussjtrunks

Brigade Leader
If I order from zavvi.ie do they still ship from the U.K. will I need to pay tax or do they ship from the Eu?

Last edited:

TheMorry

Completely Average High School Student
I'm from the Neterlands and i face the same problem as you do. For me the value needs to be below 22 euro so I wont have to pay customs fees.maybe you can try zavvi? I just recieved 2 orders from zavvi which where both around 30 euros and I didnt had to pay custom fees.

I also import a lot anime from the USA through rarewaves. Rarewaves can be found as seller for anime on ebay and amazon its , i beleive , a USA company. When ordering from them they put always 15 dollars on the package despite the actual value. 15 dollars means no custom fees whatsover.

Other option is archonia..com.Archonia is based in Belgium. But be aware the prices are a bit higher than normal. The costs they have to pay for importing is included in the price. So if an anime is like 25 euro on archonia it will be like 32 euro or something.

britguy

Za Warudo
Reading that Zavvi link they indicate they'll take the hit on taxes/handling fees levied when items ship to the EU from UK(so shipping with the DDP incoterm). That's pretty admirable of them

Stiivun

Stand User
Just got a message from UP1 that my package which was shipped last Tuesday is delayed due to missing information (New customs ID), and it might take another seven days before it can proceed further.

I'll not repeat the last sentence of the message UP1 send me ;) (hint: they're not all to happy)

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
As you folks in Europe might not be aware, there have been major issues with one of our biggest (cheapest) couriers post-Brexit (DPD, or Chronopost/Geopost on the continent) and they have been returning shipments to companies as undeliverable because their UK digital customs data collection system is not fit for purpose. So if UP1 use them, or another similar courier, they'll be struggling to get stuff into Europe at the moment. DPD's reaction was to suspend all ground shipments to Europe outright until they get the problem sorted out.

R

Stiivun

Stand User
Was aware of that Rui, as I saw it mentioned on a Dutch forum ... but my penny didn't drop until I saw your message as indeed UP1 uses DPD for the most part when delivering packages here in Belgium.

Stiivun

Stand User
Received my FMP IV today from the sale, and luckily enough no custom charges this time, despite the value of £39.99 on the package. Will send a email to AL though as FMP IV was only £34.99 during the sale, so no idea why the fulfilment center even put a higher value on the package, as my order was big enough to wave the shipping costs :oops:

IdiomaticLynx

Student Council President
The exact same happened to me and @sniper_samurai (relevant post). Today I should receive another package from the sale, though this time through FedEx. This morning I had to pay import tax and their handling fee. Quick calculation shows that the declared value must've been around £105 (which matches with the amount I paid £103.90). That means that the BOGOF was actually handled correctly, which makes it all the more puzzling why the 10% and 15% off codes weren't.

So it seems that the fulfillment center AL used is both capable and incapable of declaring the right value 🤔

patrizio94

Hikikomori
I just received a message from FedEx saying that I'll be charged with €38 for import/handling, which is insane considering my order was about £100 (after BOGOF). Is there anything I can do besides refusing the package when FedEx tries to deliver it?

IdiomaticLynx

Student Council President
I just received a message from FedEx saying that I'll be charged with €38 for import/handling, which is insane considering my order was about £100 (after BOGOF). Is there nothing I can do besides refusing the package when FedEx tries to deliver it?
I'm afraid there's little you can do besides either paying that amount or declining the package. Now I have heard stories of people receiving package through FedEx with custom charges still due and simply ignored it, but that's quite dubious and I would defintely not recommend doing that.

The amount does seem in line with what you can expect for an £100 order; tax + €13 handling fee. The handling fee is always painfully high, but at least where I live it's roughly the same for any courier as well as what the national postal service charges. If that isn't the case for you, perhaps the national postal service only charges you for the owed tax, it might be an option to decline the package so it gets sent back and try and get AL to send it again using Royal Mail. But honestly, I think that's probably more hassle than it's worth.

If I were you, try and determine if the additional cost of €38 makes the contents still worth it. If not, try and get the package returned to the sender and try and get a refund.

sniper_samurai

Dragon Knight
I just received a message from FedEx saying that I'll be charged with €38 for import/handling, which is insane considering my order was about £100 (after BOGOF). Is there anything I can do besides refusing the package when FedEx tries to deliver it?
Other than pay it, I don't think so.

The amount charged sounds about right as FEDEX charge an €18 customs clearance fee on their deliveries if VAT is applied.

Stiivun

Stand User
On the bright side of the spectrum I’ve received Dr. Stone today with a value of £45.00 on the package but it wasn’t caught by the Belgian custom services. It was delivered, just like FMP IV by the national postal services (BPost), so it seems the custom services only hand pick and check certain packages currently.

BTW the national postal services here charges 24€ so maybe I should relocate to Holland 😁

Hunter_Killer

School Idol
On the bright side of the spectrum I’ve received Dr. Stone today with a value of £45.00 on the package but it wasn’t caught by the Belgian custom services. It was delivered, just like FMP IV by the national postal services (BPost), so it seems the custom services only hand pick and check certain packages currently.

BTW the national postal services here charges 24€ so maybe I should relocate to Holland 😁
But remember that VAT may be different. For example, in my country the handling amount is around EUR 10-14 (depending on the carrier, but rather the lower amount), but the VAT is 23%.

I think I already know why UP1 was happy when I wrote that I would wait with the shipment until they received all the items (i.e. at the end of January).

sniper_samurai

Dragon Knight
BTW the national postal services here charges 24€ so maybe I should relocate to Holland
Ouch. The national postal service here used to charge a flat €10 for customs clearance. As of the start of the year they now charge €3.50 or 1% of the package value up to €10, whichever is higher.

VAT is currently at a reduced rate of 21% due to Covid and will be going back to 23% next month.

Hunter_Killer

School Idol
Ouch. The national postal service here used to charge a flat €10 for customs clearance. As of the start of the year they now charge €3.50 or 1% of the package value up to €10, whichever is higher.

VAT is currently at a reduced rate of 21% due to Covid and will be going back to 23% next month.
My domestic one takes 3 euros, but it is extremely slow (it informs me about the package and even if I deliver everything to them within 1 hour, I still wait for the package around a week). In addition, they cannot be paid for these fees by bank transfer, you have to do it at the post office or when picking up. It's frustrating. Everything works right at the courier's (I pay for the transfer and have it on the same day).

It seems to me (because my friends get it like that) that economic parcels (without the declared amount) are transferred normally from the UK - at least in my country. For now, only those larger than the courier or with a full declaration are kept. In general, it was the same with the packages from the USA.

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
If you can apply for a personal EORI number from your country's Customs (I have no idea whether you can in every country - it's a simple online form in the UK) you can pass this to your UK-based DPD-using anime shops and it should make the clearance smoother when DPD/Geopost/Chronopost restores service. It shouldn't be necessary but anything that makes clearance faster and easier for orders too big for the ordinary postal service might be a blessing.

R

Stiivun

Stand User
Just checked and it’s possible to apply for an EORI number in Belgium. No online form though (typical) but you can download a PDF fill it in and email it or use snail mail to apply. Applying can be done as a firm or as a private person.

Dan

Thousand Master
Bit worried reading this about DPD.. I’ve recentry ordered something on Amazon.com and its saying that it’s gonna be delivered via DPD. Does that mean I won’t get it?