How do you watch DVDs?

cercia

School Idol
Just wondering how everyone watches their anime DVDs as I'm forced to watch anime on a laptop because my TV-cum-DVD player broke. I have another separate multi region player.

Should I go for another DVD-telly combo or get a separate small TV, what's the best way to go so I can spare my PC the energy!!!?

Well if you have a separate multi region player and aren't bothered about HD / upscaling then there's not much to be gained by buying a TV with a DVD player built in. I'm not a fan of those anyway - if one part breaks you've screwed yourself out of money. Just get a new TV.

I tend to use my ps3 to watch my anime (basically because its more comfortable watching things on my 32inch LCD HD TV)

Failing that i have a laptop that i sometimes use, but despite both my ps3 and laptop being region free, i still dislike buying R1 anime.

Save up, buy yourself a decent sized Tv, that way if your still at home, by the time your due to leave and get a place for yourself, its one less thing to buy.

My PS3 is region locked and so is my Xbox 360. My mum has my DVD player so I use my Xbox for my R2 DVD's and Laptop for my R1s. If I were you I'd have a seperate TV and DVD player.

DVD player (old now) with a wide screen HD tv. I used a programmable remote control and manufacturer codes to unlock my DVD player for all regions.

I use mah DVD player unless I'm on MSN, then it's easier to watch on me laptop. Also Red Vs Blue Reconstruction I have to watch on my laptop because despite being region-free my DVD player is allergic to it.

I use my PS3 for Zone A BDs or Region 2 Japan DVDs, and my standalone BD player for Zone B BDs and any other DVDs, both connected to my TV.

I am also in the "don't like the idea of the DVD/TV hybrid" camp.

ayase said:
Tachi- said:
...despite both my ps3 and laptop being region free...
How did you manage that? Mine certainly isn't.

Well, its region free WRT bluray, i didn't say it was perfect, but you had to pick holes in my statement didn't you Ayase lol..

Tachi- said:
Well, its region free WRT bluray, i didn't say it was perfect, but you had to pick holes in my statement didn't you Ayase lol..

Is it? I didn't think mine was (however I've never felt the need to buy a UK-locked blu-ray).

I watch my good stuff with my ancient, ancient standalone Pioneer DVD player, which is strangely awesome despite its age. I have a large Samsung LCD TV. All blu-rays are viewed on the [imported] PS3.

When I want to watch something less than riveting whilst doing something else, I often view DVDs via my computer's nice secondary monitor.

All of my kit can play R1/R2J first and foremost.

R

Rui said:
Tachi- said:

Is it? I didn't think mine was (however I've never felt the need to buy a UK-locked blu-ray).

I watch my good stuff with my ancient, ancient standalone Pioneer DVD player, which is strangely awesome despite its age. I have a large Samsung LCD TV. All blu-rays are viewed on the [imported] PS3.

When I want to watch something less than riveting whilst doing something else, I often view DVDs via my computer's nice secondary monitor.

All of my kit can play R1/R2J first and foremost.

R

See the link below WRT BluRay region codes, i was sure that the BluRay movies are all region free, According to the latest Blu-ray stats webpage, 66.52% of Blu-rays are "region free".

Full list of all region coded and region free movie titles:
http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/

Region-free upscaling DVD player here, or PS3 for Blu-ray.

I am going to try to get a Blu-Ray drive for my PC then HDMI it to my TV for Region A Blu-rays.

I am in constant debate with myself as to which looks better between my upscaling DVD player and my PS3 for DVDs. It's very difficult as my DVD player stops the upscale when paused. I THINK the PS3 is better, but out of sheer convinience I use the DVD player.

Back