How did we get here?

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Ok so 2012 has been a bit of a **** start for anime fans in general. What with last year's lost of tokyopop and all the crazy stuff that has happened in just the first 2 weeks of this year I have been wondering just how much worse this year could get for us otaku.

Do you guys think the Japanese are to blame for being picky with how the anime is released in the west or are the high prices of their licenses costing too much?

Do you think it might just be a case of the recession that is to blame for the state we find the anime industry in right now? Do you think a lot of fans are harming the industry by only watching online and not paying for the dvds when they come out? Do you think that the prices of the dvds and blu rays are playing a part in all of this?

Are we going to lose any more companies like Tokyopop, Bandai and Beez. Media Blasters sure look wobbly not they?

Do you think that anime companies need to start looking at different ways of selling anime here in the west?

Is Manga helping in any of this with all of it's false promises and being pricks to their fans on twitter?

Are you guys worried about MVM as well? Do you think that the funimation lawsuit will make it ten times worse?

Or do you guys think that it is time to try and get anime noticed on tv again?

And what about Kaze's way of doing things?

Let the debate begin :D

nothing last for ever sadly but as a fan il do what ever i can to support anime as long as i can.

i blame not have enough anime out there on tv the anime industry needs more advertising show more anime from kid friendly to 18.

thats my opinion anyway

Ultimately, as long as anime is still going in Japan, then it's never going to get so bad as to be hopeless.

The main thing that I am happy with in the Western market at the moment is streaming, but this is only from the point of view that it will improve further still.

I think it's hard to weigh up what Manga and MVM are doing - MVM don't really rely on anime so much, and Manga have some big titles that you can essentially treat differently to all other anime. But this does leave them at the mercy of continuing to get these series, which was basically why Tokyopop died.

Kaze is a much more interesting topic of discussion - if they can push towards a pan-European market more in the style of video games, then I think they will do well. The long term future of such a small niche market as anime in the UK is always going to be under threat as casual fans come and go, and people decide that £18 is too much to pay for a full series. Spreading the liability across more countries that have a longer history and a stronger market is essential.

To say that 2012 has been a bad year for anime is an understatement. On New Years Day at midnight I looked at Mum and told her that I had a bad feeling that something big was going to happen - but I didn't expect it all to happen so fast.

I wouldn't say the problem as a whole is exclusively the recession or exclusively the Japanese side. I will be blunt though - I do blame the Japanese side for Bandai and Beez's downfall. FUNimation and MangaUK were able to offer releases that didn't hit the struggling consumer's wallet as hard, but Bandai and Beez were made to have low episode counts or have high prices.

MangaUK's twitter certainly isn't helping things. They should do the background finance calculating and such before they even make any hints public.

I think the western industry certainly needs a kick up the backside somehow, but I'm not sure what could do the trick - I highly doubt TV is an option now.

animefreak17 said:
nothing last for ever sadly but as a fan il do what ever i can to support anime as long as i can.

i blame not have enough anime out there on tv the anime industry needs more advertising show more anime from kid friendly to 18.

thats my opinion anyway

I totally agree. We need to get more anime on TV. We need to just to find which are the best anime to show.

Ian Wolf said:
animefreak17 said:

thats my opinion anyway

I totally agree. We need to get more anime on TV. We need to just to find which are the best anime to show.

look at it this way kids see mostly kid friendly stuff *nearly mostly* but if we put something that'll caught kids eyes

ok what was the first animes to caught your eyes.

mines

dragonball z
pokemon
yugioh
anime on sci-fi * adult stuff really * has a kid it knocked me flying
fma

and so on

Ian Wolf said:
animefreak17 said:

thats my opinion anyway

The most suitable currently running shows i would say would be best for TV Airing would be maybe Hunter x Hunter (with the blood edited out of course) but even that would be a stretch at this point. tbh i think we all need a new Ghost in the shell to come out. Kamiyama needs to get on that asap instead of that 009: Recyborged crap :evil:

Ian Wolf said:
Pokemon was the first anime that caught my attention as a kid, so that's a good start.

yeah but when it got to the 3rd generation it sucked and the games are better then the series.

id think trigun
bleach

one piece didn't caught on

i dont stream i buy the dvds and if there is a anime movie on il watch it

animefreak17 said:
Ian Wolf said:
Pokemon was the first anime that caught my attention as a kid, so that's a good start.

yeah but when it got to the 3rd generation it sucked and the games are better then the series.

id think trigun
bleach

one piece didn't caught on

i dont stream i buy the dvds and if there is a anime movie on il watch it

K-On! perhaps?

I think I said it in another thread today, MangaUK are very quick to deny that K-ON! will be a success of any kind. Sure, I wouldn't mind it on TV, but I doubt it would. What channel would it be on anyway?

Joshawott said:
I think I said it in another thread today, MangaUK are very quick to deny that K-ON! will be a success of any kind. Sure, I wouldn't mind it on TV, but I doubt it would. What channel would it be on anyway?

ummm if it was still on tv ........... toonami
they could start back up anime central but i doubt that they could licence enough animes to get them on tv.

has fans we'll watch any anime but with new commers we need to choose wisely

devilrules666 said:
Sorry to upset people but the truth does hurt! :D The way things are going now I dread to think what state the industry will be in come the end of the year.

which is why we has fans, supporters and our love for anime is to buy has many has we can, my only worry is series like bleach * yes i like bleach so sue me* naruto shippuden, one piece, and volumes that hasn't came out yet like hellsing ultimate, black butler season, shana seasons 2 and 3 plus movie ect ect i want to buy these series i really enjoy them

That's all well and good but there is a lot of **** out there. We shouldn't have to buy the **** ones only the good ones. It's up to the distrutors to license the right ones that will sell well not just any crap.

devilrules666 said:
That's all well and good but there is a lot of **** out there. We shouldn't have to buy the **** ones only the good ones. It's up to the distrutors to license the right ones that will sell well not just any crap.

well it depends on the person who think a series is crap or good for e.g. the are people who hate bleach i like bleach i dont like romantic animes, there are people who loves romantic animes. il agree on a few series that are crap e.g. first squad, gundam seed/destiny, ect theres are series that majority would agree altho there are people out the who loves gundam seed/destiny,

Back