House MD: Broken - Season 6 Premiere

Sy

Time-Traveller
So I just finished watching the 2 hour premiere. Season 5 was enjoyable but the formula was starting to feel a little too buy the books, it was frustrating that House wasn't going anywhere and the random plot twist (Kutners suicide) just felt more gimmicky than anything else. Given how season 5 ended I was unsure how this new season was going to work but I'm happy to say that it exceeded my expectations and it was probably the best episode of House in a long time.

The complete departure from the formula and showing House out of his element gets nothing but praise from me and his character development through this movie length episode didn't feel rushed or dragged out. The progression was natural, believable and most importantly didn't feel out of character. Good stuff.

One bad thing for the rest of the cast though, this episode shows you don't need them and that Hugh Laurie has pretty much been carrying the show. It was nice to see an appearance from Wilson, albeit brief. Things needed to change in House's life and I'll be extremely interested in how this new season pans out with a slightly different House. My only concern is that they will cop out and things will go back to the way they were.

So what did you guys think of the premiere?

Edit: I'm currently being amused by the reaction. Some people love it and others hate it, but for odd reasons which I don't find convincing. Most of the complaints revolve along the lines of they don't like change, the break from the formula or the idea the character just might be a little different from his experience. Bad reasons for hating something in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved it, seeing house get to play up to a new group of people, watching him torment and try to break the staff at the hospital by toying with the patients absolutely perfect way to show just who House really is even without his drugs. Bring on the rest of the series

I was also impressed with it, and it's nice to see the German actress from The Bourne Identity (whose name I can never remember) being given more roles in...well....anything as she's a really good actress.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you Sy, it was probably one of the best episodes i've seen in a long time. I will admit, the last 2-3 episode of Season 5 where great too, and i certainly liked the wee twist they did at the end, but the rest of the series was on and off a lot.

I hope now that, with how House was at the end of the premiere, they keep him like that and not just slowly change him back to his old self, since that would basically just make house back to being what it was in season 5, and this "new" house i can see make this a good watch. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the characters from these episodes turn up every now and then too actually, but as to how they may do that, i can't say. Still i'll be watching the 3rd episode tonight to see how things progress.

I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not looking forward to when it (inevitably) returns to the same formula.
Honestly I could care less about Foreman and Kutty (however it's spelt), Wilson and House are the only characters that have my attention.
I liked Kutner, too. ):

Is it just me or would it have been awesome for the asylum to be a season or half season long arc? I loved the opening two hours, so much. Some of the best television writing and acting ever right there. The episode(s) after are on par with normal House, which is okay, I guess...

Jayme said:
Is it just me or would it have been awesome for the asylum to be a season or half season long arc? I loved the opening two hours, so much. Some of the best television writing and acting ever right there. The episode(s) after are on par with normal House, which is okay, I guess...

I'll be honest, i prefered episode 3 to a lot of season 5. It just seemed to work better overall, and the other characters seemed to play their roles better than they did. I have yet to watch episode 4 though, so i can't say if its similar in any way, but i think i prefer the original cast working together again instead of the likes of the cast from the previous two odd series, they seem stronger characters than the new ones

The B-Story in the hospital was the same old stuff I thought but I do enjoy watching House and Wilson's interactions and there was plenty of that in episode 3. I think season 5 suffered from a lack of Wilson.

Haven't watched episode 4 yet either.

I seemed to have missed out episode 2 completely somehow, since i thought the season premiere was episodes 1 and 2, but it was just episode one. So i had to backtrack to episode two after three, which confuses me more than anyone else, but hey. 2 was good primarily because of the interactions between wilson and house, or more to the point Houses ability to cook. So i've seen all three episodes so far, or 4 if you think of the first as a double.

Haha, that confused me too. They originally referred to it as two episodes, then once episode 3... or 2 came out, they backtracked. Confuses me still every week. And, by the sounds of it, I'll be liking this episode I have lined up. House as a chef was amazing, I know. ;p.

I thought it was a great episode, Hugh Laurie basically is the show, the episode proves that, he just plays the characther so well, I can't wait for the next episode!

(im on episode 1 here btw!)

Back