Hmm...might aswell introduce myself...

Daz

Brigade Leader
Hello all. =D
I am Daz, as you can see. :roll:

Well, I suppose I had better start writing some stuff about myself, otherwise this post would be quite pointless.

My favourite manga(s?) are currently Bleach and Desert Coral; DC has a fairly interesting story, but it's the design and artwork that I like most.

What about my favourite anime? Hmm, tough one. Though I really like Trigun, .hack//SIGN, and Cowboy Bebop.

I practice TaeKwonDo. I'm currently 9th kup (white belt, yellow tag) and soon to be taking my yellow belt grading. As of last Sunday, one of my teachers is the executive taekwondo world champion in the lightweight division, and also British champion =O! My other teacher got bronze in the same competition, so that technically makes him third best lightweight in the world!

I also play guitar - I've been doing so for over two years now. I should probably get a teacher. =P
My favourite type of music is generally progressive metal, with my favourite band being Pain of Salvation, closely followed by Opeth, and then Dream Theater - though their new stuff doesn't interest me a great deal.

Hmm, I'll leave it at there for now. It's late, and while trying to introduce myself I think I've gone on too much =P.

Oh yeah, check out the album thing; I added some of my drawings to the fanart section!

Salutations, and your taste is indeed good.

Progressive metal, eh? I must admit to not being a fan of that sub-genre of the wonderful world of prog, but despite not being a fan of Dream Theater and their style of music, I have to admire Myung's skill; he's not Levin or Squire, but is still terribly good.

Chomolungma said:
Salutations, and your taste is indeed good.

Progressive metal, eh? I must admit to not being a fan of that sub-genre of the wonderful world of prog, but despite not being a fan of Dream Theater and their style of music, I have to admire Myung's skill; he's not Levin or Squire, but is still terribly good.

You said you're not a fan of that sub-genre of prog, so I take it you like other types of prog? If so, which?

I have not particularly liked Dream Thater since their 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence album, but some of the older stuff is unforgettably great. Though the singer is sometimes annoying.
Myung is indeed excellent. I also commend him for tackling James Labrie on stage for a bet. That was excellent, considering the size and weight difference.:D Though he did keep his bass on...

Also, Portnoy is fscking amazing.

Well, I love the symphonic/classical prog, darker King Crimson/Van der Graaf style, avant-garde, Canterbury, electronic, experimental, space rock, post-rock, prog-folk, Italien prog, art rock "krautrock" and, of course, jazz-rock fusion.

If you consider psychadelia prog, then I'm a big fan of that too, along with other genres like indie (real indie, not the Killers), jazz, folk, new wave, classic rock, classic punk, post-punk and the blues. My current addictions are bebop and ska.

Chomolungma said:
Well, I love the symphonic/classical prog, darker King Crimson/Van der Graaf style, avant-garde, Canterbury, electronic, experimental, space rock, post-rock, prog-folk, Italien prog, art rock "krautrock" and, of course, jazz-rock fusion.

If you consider psychadelia prog, then I'm a big fan of that too, along with other genres like indie (real indie, not the Killers), jazz, folk, new wave, classic rock, classic punk, post-punk and the blues. My current addictions are bebop and ska.

Yeah, I quite like symphonic prog and the neoclassical stuff too, though I've heard very little of them. Have you ever listened to Jadis? I'm not too good at categorizing things, but I think they would be described as neoclassical. Angra are a great symphonic power metal band, who I think are fairly progressive in their own way.

Hmm, I don't really know jazz-rock fusion. But that's pretty much how I would describe Derek Sherinian's solo work, though I don't really know if it actually comes under that category. It also has elements of space rock.

Would you be able to recommend a few symphonic and jazz-rock fusion bands/artists to me? I quite like what little of those genres that I have heard.

I recommend that you check out Pain of Salvation, if you haven't already. They're a bit of everything, and their singer/song-writer/guitarist's vocal range and compositional skills are amazing, though it may take some people a little while to get into them.

Concrete badger said:
welcome to the forums! good to see a fellow guitarist round here as well. :D

Thankyou! How long have you been playing? And what kinda stuff do you play?

Daz said:
Would you be able to recommend a few symphonic and jazz-rock fusion bands/artists to me? I quite like what little of those genres that I have heard.

Ok, well the classic symphonic prog of the seventies mainly revolves around bands like Yes, Genesis (not Phil Collins' pop era, but the Gabriel/Hackett period of albums), King Crimson, Camel, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, Renaissance, plus many more obscure bands.

Fusion is best summed up by Miles Davis' electric era; albums such as Bitches Brew and the live Dark Magus. Guitarists like Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin and Steve Hillage; bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report and Return to Forever.Then, it is possible to consider Frank Zappa's more instrumental turns as such, like Hot Rats and Uncle Meat, or even Captain Beefheart's work fusion-influenced.

Jadis I only own a single album of, but I do like them, I suppose the idea of progressive music as a whole is to be more classical and jazz based than conventional rock. Sherinian's solo work is very good, I like it more than his work in the band.

Hope that helps you a bit, i'm happy to speak about music for hours.

Chomolungma said:
Ok, well the classic symphonic prog of the seventies mainly revolves around bands like Yes, Genesis (not Phil Collins' pop era, but the Gabriel/Hackett period of albums), King Crimson, Camel, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, Renaissance, plus many more obscure bands.

Thanks. I've listened to all of those except the last two, and while Genesis and Yes have their moments, I prefer what little I did hear of King Crimson, Camel, and Gentle Giant. I'll check out the other two. :wink:

Fusion is best summed up by Miles Davis' electric era; albums such as Bitches Brew and the live Dark Magus. Guitarists like Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin and Steve Hillage; bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report and Return to Forever.Then, it is possible to consider Frank Zappa's more instrumental turns as such, like Hot Rats and Uncle Meat, or even Captain Beefheart's work fusion-influenced.

Out of those I have only actually listened to Mahavishnu Orchestra, whom I loved. And surprisingly - to most people - I've never really listened to Zappa, though I've been kind-of meaning to for some time. =P

Jadis I only own a single album of, but I do like them, I suppose the idea of progressive music as a whole is to be more classical and jazz based than conventional rock. Sherinian's solo work is very good, I like it more than his work in the band.

Hope that helps you a bit, i'm happy to speak about music for hours.

I don't even own a Jadis album. Though I've been meaning to buy one for some time, other things eventually take priority.

And I agree, I did not much like the band Planet X. But Sherinian by himself if great, and his work in Dream Theater was also quite good. He is still quite similar to the band, but for some reason Planet X just bores me, whereas Sherinian solo has quite the opposite effect, most of the time.

Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Np at all, Daz. When I come back from the US I'll recommend you everything under the sun!

I like those three you prefered best too. Gentle Giant are just unique completely, and so complex. Camel's Andy Latimer has to be the best guitarist in the genre, excepting King Crimson's Robert Fripp. I must warn you that Van der Graaf Generator isn't to everyone's taste; frontman Peter Hamill isn't the world's greatest singer by any means, and the band lacks guitars and focuses on saxophone and organ.

Zappa's so unique, he's done fusion, mock-symphonies, comedy music, rock n roll...he's truly a great musical figure.

Haha! Looking forward to it! :D

Hmm, I do like the sound of saxophones quite alot, especially when they're played anything like the way the sax was played in Another Day by Dream Theater. So if Van der Graaf Generator's sax player(s) is/are anything like that, I'll probably put up with a dodgy singer - I've put up with James Labrie quite well so far. :wink:

Back