Hmm, a favour...

Ammish

Stand User
Yeah, I ask for a favour from you people. Hopefully, Aion would be reading this as he seems to be good at it. But I hope the AUKN reviewers will be reading this and give me a few pointers.

I did a review now and then ages ago, but it's only recentley that I got into it and starting doing a lot. It had an effect on 'what I want to do'. So yeah, here is my collection of reviews that I done in the past month. Hope you enjoy...
Review: My Neighbour Totoro

Studio Ghibli- the company founded by the critical acclaimed director, Hayao Miyazaki, who directed many animated films in the past and is worldly appreciated by critics and audience alike. His later films such as Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle have been nominated for awards, of which Spirited Away has won. And Princess Mononoke was the start of the establishment of Hayao Miyzaki’s worldwide status.

My Neighbour Totoro is one of the first films from Studio Ghibli, in which our giant character, Totoro has become a mascot for the Banner of Studio Ghibli. And Totoro is popular amongst Japan like Winnie the Pooh is amongst the Brits. Or whatever the Americans got for a cute, huggable plushie. But what about the film itself?

My Neighbour Totoro centres on two main characters, who are sisters named Satsuki and Mei. Their father is a university teacher in Tokyo and they moved to a rural village in Japan to be nearer to the hospital in which Satsuki and Mei’s mother is recovering from a strange illness. Then after they have settled down, Mei finds the huge spirit in the tree which she acknowledges as the spirit ‘Totoro’.

Honestly, I don’t feel there is a plot in the film or any explanation. But if you want an explanation, then here is one: Totoro is the spirit of the forest and the keeper. There’s no mystery or revelations. So if you're watching it to find out, then you’re wasting your time. But I am not holding that in a negative light. Characters are what matters and they strengthen the plot, not the other way round.

Satsuki is the mature older sister, whilst Mei is the younger sister. What they both have in common is running around like hyperactive children on a sugar rush, playing and relating to each other. I’m pretty much glad that Satsuki still acts like a child at times and plays like normal children does, whereas compared to other anime, the experience of a mother dying or becoming ill transforms the child’s personality into an adult one, as if the inner child is dead and forgotten.

Satsuki has that balance, trying to act adult at times, but isn’t afraid to let herself loose. Her little sister Mei is naturally the hyperactive one, and they compliment each other. Then we have Totoro, the giant spirit (in the cover) which the sisters meet. Totoro isn’t a wise spirit or a talkative one in riddles, but a cute and curious spirit who only roars at times and participates in the act of nature. Totoro is instantly lovable, it’s hard not to unless you have some sort of immunity to cuteness.

Another group to add to the mystical creatures is the ‘Soot Sprites’, small house spirits that can be seen for a small second when moving from light to dark places. Two small spirits that look similar to Totoro and a freaky cat bus that appears in the film. It’s as if the Cheshire Cat became twisted in the imagination of the Japanese and became some sort of transport. But it’s the Japanese, they are unique for twisted stuff.

For an animation in 1988, it is really beautiful and bustling with nature as it's set in a rural village. There are ancient houses which looks dusty and are host to an old-fashioned bath (I’ll point out that the film is set in 1958). The huge, old tree which is home to Totoro stood out as a landmark of nature and is quite magnificent. There are the rural roads and the streams which you find as the norm.

The soundtrack itself… There is an issue I have with it. It’s rather more personal than a flaw, but there are some which feels out of place. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great, but it’s out of place and feels as if it has a serious vibe. But there are some which are great and have a sense of comical beat for our lovable, Totoro.

I’ve only have opinions on the dub since I recorded the dub version on my Sky+ Box. The Dub is great as you'd expect in any Studio Ghibli Film, but I felt that some of it was a bit off for some characters. Overall, it’s a great dub and I should expect it to be.

But Totoro is just a cute spirit who participates in Nature and is the Keeper of the Forest. The real deal comes from the sisters' relationship with each other and their fascinations of the spirits they meet. And despite the hardships with their mother’s illness, they still manage to smile and play like children as they are suppose to be.

Summary

My Neighbour Totoro isn’t quite the definitive movie, but it has a definitive mascot, which I’m tempted to get a plushie of. It may not have a great plot, but it has a great set of characters, interesting creatures, and a rural village which fits with the theme of nature.

If you ever liked one of Studio Ghibli’s film, then watch this. Not one of the greatest, but certainly a great watch.

8/10.

Review by Chrono Mizaki

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Final Fantasy VII IS SUCCESS. Final Fantasy VII IS DOMINANCE. That’s the first thing that will gush through the mind of FFVII fantards who haven’t played a single RPG since. Not that Final Fantasy VII is rubbish (I love it personally). But what I find rubbish is the sequels it spawns. Apart from Crisis Core, every FFVII sequel has been rubbish. Dirge of Cerberus was a bad attempt at a First Person Shooter, Before Crisis isn’t released here and Advent Children… well, this is why I am reviewing it.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is the sequel to the critical acclaimed ‘Final Fantasy VII’. Set two years after the events of Final Fantasy VII, Midgar have become a ruin and the remaining survivors live around the outskirts and try to build a new city, named Edge. But there is a strange disease that has arisen named ‘Geostigma’, which many citizens have been affected by. Then enters Cloud Strife, an ex-mercenary who now works as a courier for the ‘Strife Delivery Service’, and whom was the main character of Final Fantasy VII. During his delivery, he gets ambushed by three mysterious female, I mean male, villains who are planning something devious. Cloud wants to know what they are planning.

Honestly, Geostigma is a horribly bad plot device. It’s as if it was thought up at the last second and integrated into the film horribly. It does have an explanation, but it’s a pretty predictable one and something that Square-Enix would do to try and make this film interesting. Except it wasn’t, not to this extent. Advent Children was planned to be a 23 minute OVA about someone requesting a message to Cloud. And Nomura laid his poisonous, decaying fingers onto it. So plot development has failed there.

But the character has to make up for it, right? Well, I was wishing the characters would be as interesting as they were in Final Fantasy VII. Just at least by a half. Sadly, that isn’t the case. Cloud Strife hasn’t evolved at ALL since the end of Final Fantasy VII. For two years, he has been stuck into this self-blaming, one-dimensional character that hasn’t really got much of a personality. I preferred Cloud before the ‘event’ happened, which transformed him into this. Tifa is basically there for emotional support, trying to bring ‘Cloud’ out of his self-blame state. Then we have new character Denzel, an orphan child with geostigma and who is desperate to become better. He isn’t as bad as I thought now that I think about it. And let’s move onto the three villains. Huzzah.

Loz – Cry baby who want his mother. Honestly, I think the character IS supposed to be a woman, despite his physique.
Yazoo - …there’s nothing you can find annoying about him. He is emotionless and that’s what I like in an evil villain
Kadaj – Honestly, he is the most interesting villain of the trio. Despite his feminine look, which I don’t get since Nomura is WAY obsessed with them, he is pretty much an okay character

The rest are subjected to pointless cameos, which don’t improve or add to the film, except they are there for fanservice.

I do like the soundtrack, but it’s expected. Final Fantasy never really fails in the soundtrack department. I mean, come on, it’s Nobuo Uematsu, he is a legend as far as I’m concerned. Not only does he made really great music, but he also made a worthy remake of the ‘One Winged Angel’. I never really found out why it’s all that great to be honest. But I listening it to it.

Animation-wise, there are times where it feels far too grey or dark and it becomes dull. Final Fantasy VII was bright despite the dark times it was in and even inside Midgar. It is great animation nevertheless, because of the tremendous amount of work that was put into making a great CGI film. One of the Key locations is The City of the Ancients (Forgotten City), which I find marvelous, especially the water effects inside it. And the character models are greatly detailed and would be excellent if they were used as in-game graphics. I think they focused so much on the nice graphics that they forgot about the storyline.

Actually, everything about the film is utter fanservice. That said as a fan of Final Fantasy VII, I wish they didn’t answer the pleading call of rabid fans that spend their whole life commenting on forums, creating fanfics to try and continue the story in their bad-grammar style. Honestly, the first draft of it has potential and I would have been happy with 23 minutes of it. But now we have a dreadful film with a dreadful climax which I find to be badly-written and executed.

Summary

Square-Enix have ruined a classic game with the follow-up, Advent Children. It hardly resolves everything, has ludicrous new characters which are randomly thrown in, made the main character broken BEYOND recovery and is just fanservice. Yes, IT IS FOR FANS. I doubt anyone else would want to watch this film who has no knowledge of FF7 save for Nobuo Uematsu or breathtaking CGI.

They have focused so much on art that everything else just fall apart.

3/10

Review by Chrono Mizaki

Serial Experiments Lain

Length: 13 episodes
Released: 1998

Ahh, the mainstream. The one that dictates what is a success and what is a failure, all governed by the support of them. In the west, anime is still a niche media. In Japan, it’s huge, but there can be a bit of problem with ‘something different’. I blame you, Japan, for your huge love with Harem, all love of ‘fanservice’ and young feminine boys who wield swords three times bigger than themselves or wear orange. I blame you anime fans who are living in the west, who eat up all their crap… and not supporting the official releases, whining on about the dub, which some of the dub isn’t even bad. Oh shut up, go back to watching ‘Naruto’, you ‘narutard’.

Well, that was a waste of paragraph. And I can waste more paragraph, ranting on, but then I stop and look at this little gem; ‘Serial Experiments Lain’. Because not only it doesn’t have feminine boys who wield big swords, have five different, bland love interests and a ninja wearing orange who waiting for the next girl with a breast size too big for her age, it does have a very intriguing plot which by the end of the episode, your brain will be in spaghetti form. It does have a main female character that doesn’t have big breast and act like an idiot. And it doesn’t need lots of music to bombard on the mood when it doesn’t fit. Serial Experiments Lain does everything that other animes fail to do, but it does something more, which leaves you gripped by each episodes.

The first episode starts off with Lain, a school student, who is very quiet and keeps to herself. When she attends her school with her friend, Arisu (Alice in the dub), she discovers that everyone has been getting an e-mail from a girl who died last week. Curious, she checked her computer, called a Navi, to see if she has this email. She did get an email, but once she replied to it, she actually communicates with the girl who died. Lain found out that she abandoned her body to live on in the wired, what I consider Serial Experiment Lain’s advanced version of the internet. Thus her discovery starts off there.

Along the episodes, she’s been getting into the paranormal associated with the wired. She discovers new information, a mysterious group called ‘The Knights’, questioning of existence and the so-called entity, ‘God’, who is rumoured to live on in the wired. You also get this weird saying at the start of every episode, ‘Present day, present time’, which I’ve yet to find out what it means. Actually, within every episode, there are meanings inside. And it varies between everyone, because it’s an anime that gives you different opinions each episode. The re-watch value is high because it feels like when you re-watch the same episode, you get a different vibe. But there is a problem, which I don’t find it a problem, but others may find it a problem. It’s a snail adventure, which the plot reveals at a slow pace, compared to other animes. It’s whether you have the patience and if you do, you can appreciate it to the fullest.

Lain seems to be the only character with a full-fledged personality, which I find to evolve at an interesting and excellent pace. I adored it so much that ‘Lain’ has become one of my most favourite female characters. It’s just that she appears so fragile, so curious and so quiet. But along her discoveries with the wired, she became so much sure, brave, willing and more aware. She even develops many personalities, one which is cheeky, nasty, persuasive and so out of character. The plot depends on her character solely; even the other characters depend on her reactions. Lain IS the centre of the anime. Other characters include her computer-obsessed dad, her heartless mother and her normal older sister, who represent the average teenager that even western teenagers can relate to. There is Arisu, a very caring friend of Lain, who takes Lain to places with her friends and help her have fun. There are minor characters, which they compensate to the plot in its small way.

The animation is quite unique, though the character art isn’t, but in no way generic. But it’s established itself as ‘Yoshitoshi ABe’s art’, which I adore. If I recognise his art in other anime, it gives me a reason why I should watch it. Back to the animation before I lose my train of thought, it isn’t as bright or greatly detailed as other animes. But it’s in no way less of an art. It suppose to make viewers think of it as an illusion, which is one of the themes of ‘Serial Experiments Lain’.

The use of music is actually minimal, compared to other animes, which a lot of the time, use a lot of music when it doesn’t need be. It’s easy-listening and some of them can make you ‘think’, whilst others can creep you out. And that loop of the techno music in Cyberia, a nightclub.

But Serial Experiments Lain is a very puzzling and complex anime. Once you think you got your mind around it, the next set of plot points barged through your window, screwing your mind. You could do just as well by taking in LSD.

And that’s a shame, because it’s one of the most interesting, influential anime in the media and not a lot of anime has taken note from it. And it’s marmite, there are people who will hate it and people who will love it. There are no flaws with the anime except their own personal preference.

Summary

Serial Experiments Lain is one of the best anime and you cannot go wrong with it. A superior complex personality of Lain, interesting episodes that rather contain a theme than linearity of plot development and a confusing plot that you will spend ages within repeating viewing to find out the conclusion of this. It’s the best anime in my list. An underrated gem.

10/10

Review by Chrono Mizaki
Bitter Virgin

Manga
Length: 4 Volumes
Released: 2007 – 2008 (Japan Only)

And I’ve ventured into the manga side, after wasting my free time reviewing and leaped into watching the anime winter season 2009; though it’s a lot less than it should be, but blame the sequels it’s been infested with. And now, the manga with the name, Oh wait, Bitter Virgin?

“HENTAI MANGA! OH LORDâ€

I've only seen Advent Children of that list of reviews, so that's the only one I'll comment on. Leaving aside my personal disagreements with your opinion on the film, I must say that the review you wrote is hugely childish and amateurish. I'm assuming English is not your first language, as there are mistakes in every single sentence crippling the flow of the review. The descriptions of the characters were absurd - using stereotypes about women is rarely clever, btw.

"He isn’t as bad as I thought now that I think about it."

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to think reviews through before you write them, and this sentence more or less proves what the rest of that review suggests: you really put very little actual thought into it. Also, it's probably a good idea to, you know, coherently describe why a character is good or bad, rather than simply stating it.

I would say that it's worthwhile to keep trying, but all of those reviews are atrociously awful in equal measure. I think it's maybe time to accept that you're not a good writer and give it up.

(Just one final note: the fact you state that Cloud Strife does not alter in character throughout the film conveys how you really failed to understand AC on any level. Even a hasty glance at the ending shows that Cloud very obviously has changed).

To reply in respect to the reviews: Good attempts, but i have some gripes with them. Firstly, in terms of writing, you've got a fair few words out of place and some of it, though makes sense, after realising what you want to say, may not appear as such at first glance. Basically, my advise would be to have someone proof-read it, to get all the wee bits dealt with so it looks a bit nicer.

I like the fact that you make these reviews evidently your own with some of the phrases and such you use(at least in terms of your AC and Bitter Virgin reviews), but i can see why that may also put off a few as well from liking them. Some people prefer just a well written review or perhaps your average joe style review to that of one which is written in a way you like it. Its a shame in many respects, but there we go.

Bar that, the fact that you can actually get the motivation to write a review is good in my opinion, so i'd say keep at it, and again, try to get someone to proof-read primarily, as i can see the bad english here and there being the main thing people will pick up on.

If you want my opinion on your thoughts though, i can only go with AC, and to be honest, i wouldn't rate it 3/10, but i certainly wouldn't give it more than 6-7/10. It felt mediocre at best, lacking in many areas whilst looking nice in a couple of fields. I'll look into AC Complete to see what the extra Half an hour or so of the film adds, but i still don't see it going above 6-7. SquEnix could have put a lot more effort into it i think.

CitizenGeek said:
I've only seen Advent Children of that list of reviews, so that's the only one I'll comment on. Leaving aside my personal disagreements with your opinion on the film, I must say that the review you wrote is hugely childish and amateurish. I'm assuming English is not your first language, as there are mistakes in every single sentence crippling the flow of the review. The descriptions of the characters were absurd - using stereotypes about women is rarely clever, btw.

"He isn’t as bad as I thought now that I think about it."

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to think reviews through before you write them, and this sentence more or less proves what the rest of that review suggests: you really put very little actual thought into it. Also, it's probably a good idea to, you know, coherently describe why a character is good or bad, rather simply stating it.

I would say that it's worthwhile to keep trying, but all of those reviews are atrociously awful in equal measure. I think it's maybe time to accept that you're not a good writer and give it up.

(Just one final note: the fact you state that Cloud Strife does not alter in character throughout the film conveys how you really failed to understand AC on any level. Even a hasty glance at the ending shows that Cloud very obviously has changed).

Whilst I'm not going to argue back since you actually told me what you think about it. After all, you were honest, which I actually wanted, not some false praise. But I am definitely not going to give up on being a good writer.

Oh as for the first part I bolded... Oh gee, now I appear as a High School reject who skip on his english lessons. -_-

When I compared the reviews I did now to the yesteryears, I saw a huge improvement in my ability. I am certainly not a good writer compared to others who write reviews for a living, but the thing is...

...I actually love doing reviews, so no, I don't want to quit, Geek. As for the cliches I keep pointing out, I might... actually reduce on that. But I've never ever pointed out cliches in a woman. I've done far much more in males.

(Oh and I've watched Final Fantasy VII countless times as a FF7tard. And more as a somewhat... more critical person. Sure, he might've changed, but the problem is... When you make a sequel to something that has a vast amount of character development and experiences in their journey with something... HALF-ASSED, then it will partly crumble. Geostigma and the plotline just made it crumble all-together in my opinion)

Also, thanks for the tips, Arby. I know I got a few words out of context and I should improve it on.

Not bad. However, I would suggest you don't keep such a rigid structure. A review that goes through the motions of simply giving a plot and character summary then going on to technical aspects, such as animation and music, doesn't flow as well. Despite CG's blatant fanboyism, he does make a point you lack flow in your reviews.

In spite of this, you do get the basic ideas behind each piece of work you reviewed. I think that is what matters most in reviews. If you keep on writing and looking back on your reviews, you will be able to see what needs work. After all, if you're critical of yourself, you'll force yourself to write better. Not bad first attempts.
CitizenGeek said:
I've only seen Advent Children of that list of reviews, so that's the only one I'll comment on. Leaving aside my personal disagreements with your opinion on the film...
This sounds pretty stupid since he was asking for comments for the reviews in general. If he wanted your criticism on the validity of his reviews, he would have asked. Your disagreements seem more childish to me than the content since you can't even take any criticism of anything you like. I've not seen much of what's there but I'm able to look at his reviews objectively. If it's such a bad review, why pay it any mind?

If you're going criticise, make it constructive, and if you're going to argue, use something that isn't just contradiction.

CitizenGeek said:
I think it's maybe time to accept that you're not a good writer and give it up.

I, personally, take an enormous amount of offence from this--and I'm not even the reviewer. Such a defeatist attitude is not something that should suggested: if someone is willing to learn, they can be taught. The ability to write well may not be something that can easily be trained, but something superb can be tailored from the idiosyncrasies of different writers--the very notion that someone should accept that they are not a good writer and therefore give up is an abysmal outlook.

Further, while criticisms were to be expected, something as decidedly callous as that should surely be reserved. It most assuredly isn't a mindset I think anyone should adopt--it's far too demoralising.

First of all, I'm no pro-reviewer. My grammar is, in truth, quite terrible. I'm practically uneducated and learned what I know by copying others on the internet. What that means is that, if I were to be asked about a certain aspect of the English language, or to break down a sentence, I'd fail, yet I can use verbs and the like without thinking about what type of words should go where. It would seem I'm talented at typing without thinking, and that's how most of my reviews were created, even the 15 paragraph ones -- I pictured a basic layout in my head and just kept typing, later proof reading in an attempt to make the paragraphs flow better and correct errors.

I'm a lazy guy, so I'm not going to read all 4 reviews. I'll cover some of the the fourth review because it's the last and something I've reviewed myself in the past.

------------

"And I’ve ventured into the manga side"

Why have you started your review with "And"? That isn't what the first word of a review should be. You use 'and' to connect or add on to, not to open a review with. You'd lose my confidence as a reader because of your choice of first word alone.

I would've gone with: After years of ignoring manga, assuming it couldn't possibly better something with colour and motion, here I am; reviewing a series that, as of this moment, has yet to see the ligt of day outside of Japan.

The entire first paragraph should be retyped, actually. Why should the reader care about the winter 2009 (!? You mean 2008!) anime season and your experiences? The review is for manga, not anime, and there's no connection to Bitter Virgin whasoever.

An opening paragraph HAS to get the reader interested. If you don't then they aren't going to bother reading another 9-14 paragraphs. You HAVE to show you know what you talking about, if nothing else. Talking about the winiter anime season, as if you zoomed into the future, was not the way to go.

The quotes below do serve a purpose - they were used by you in an attempt to show that Bitter Virgin isn't as it comes across - but it was done immaturely. If you want to be respected, don't type fake quotes in capitals, throwing in "ME WANT" at the end. When using quotes, go for interesting lines from what you're reviewing or quotes by famous people that somehow relate to what you're reviewing. Or, better yet, forget the quotes and sum up the series in your own words.

The next paragraph is ok but you need to be more assertive. Don't use words like "think" when you're supposed to know a lot about what you're reviewing. The readers need to believe you know what they'll think and feel before going to the trouble of looking up what you've reviewed.

The following paragraph would usually be a plus because every proper review needs at least one descriptive paragraph that tells readers how the story gets going. However, you were lazy and copied the work of someone else (in this case, the MAL description) when you should've described the series using your own words. If readers think you partake in plagiarism then how do you expect them to respect or trust you?

...I'm feeling lazy now, so I'll leave it there. I read the next paragraph and saw errors and sentences that just don't make sense. You might want to think about proof reading your reviews yourself before posting them.

Edit: Oh, and don't give up. You WILL get better if you read the reviews of others, see how they structure their reviews, learn words you don't know of and keep trying. No matter how dumb you are, information will sink in eventually, like it did with me. :)

Aion said:
The following paragraph would usually be a plus because every proper review needs at least one descriptive paragraph that tells readers how the story gets going. However, you were lazy and copied the work of someone else (in this case, the MAL description) when you should've described the series using your own words. If readers think you partake in plagiarism then how do you expect them to respect or trust you?

Aion, I assure you, but that paragraph was actually written by myself. I've no help from anything except the Manga, to recap a few stuff because of writer's block. But other than that, in all respect, I've written that myself and have no help from anything. Co-incidence, maybe, but I promise you they were my own words.

Sure, don't believe me.

As for the first paragraph. I agree, I really need to take it out. So I'm going to re-review it when I have the time. And whilst bad grammar and errors are one of the major problems, I need to rethink about the flow of structure.

If you didn't steal the description from elsewhere, why did you put the description in quotation marks? You can't quote yourself if you're typing something out for the first time.
I must admit, I assumed you'd taken the description from MAL, so I apologize for not comparing beforehand.

The structure of a review is easy to get a grasp on, even for me. Here's something I posted elsewhere:

First of all, this isn't a review topic - I just like to type a lot. Don't feel forced to go to toe-to-toe with me in terms of paragraph count. Giving a rating and a sentence or two is fine.

I'm no master of reviewing - I asked for advice myself in the past on here - but I can tell you the simple way I usually go about typing up proper reviews.

- First of all I come up with an introduction paragraph, or use a quote from what I'm reviewing to attract attention. This is done in order to get readers to believe the reviewer isn't an idiot and knows what he's talking about. The better your writing talent the better the introduction will be. It's very important to get readers interested right at the start.

-- The next step is to describe what you're reviewing, going into some detail about the story and characters. Although some readers will already know what the series is about prior to reading, it's important to give a description in case the reader has no clue. Your primary concern as a reviewer should be getting newbies interested.

--- Once you've explained what the series is about, the next step is to be critical or praise what you're reviewing - in other words, this is where you should start giving your own opinions in detail. It depends on the writer how many paragraphs are spent on this but do be aware that you need to back up your opinions if your review is to be respected, so simply saying "It's a bit crap because that's my opinion!!!" won't be good enough.

---- Once the above three steps are cleared, you need to come up with a closing paragraph. This paragraph should briefly summarize your thoughts about the series, not going into too much detail but giving just enough so that the reader can understand what you're saying. The closing paragraph is important because a lot of readers skip right to the final paragraph and rating, not reading anything else.

Aion said:
If you didn't steal the description from elsewhere, why did you put the description in quotation marks? You can't quote yourself if you're typing something out for the first time.
I must admit, I assumed you'd taken the description from MAL, so I apologize for not comparing beforehand.

OH, do you mean the 'sypnopsis' in italic and quoation. Sure, I copied that, but I have pointed out it isn't mine. Sorry, I got muddled up with some other paragraph =/

Maxon said:
Despite CG's blatant fanboyism

Haha, that's incredibly hyperbolic. I mentioned that I disagreed with his assertion that Advent Children is a bad movie, and that's somehow "blatant fanboyism"?

This sounds pretty stupid since he was asking for comments for the reviews in general. If he wanted your criticism on the validity of his reviews, he would have asked. Your disagreements seem more childish to me than the content since you can't even take any criticism of anything you like. I've not seen much of what's there but I'm able to look at his reviews objectively. If it's such a bad review, why pay it any mind?

If you're going criticise, make it constructive, and if you're going to argue, use something that isn't just contradiction.

I don't see how you think it's reasonable to make this big a deal of a throwaway comment I made at the start of my post. In any case, the content of the review actually does matter and when someone misses the point of the film, then that's obviously a legitimate criticism. A good, rational understanding of a film is expected from film critics.

Uppa said:
I, personally, take an enormous amount of offence from this--and I'm not even the reviewer. Such a defeatist attitude is not something that should suggested: if someone is willing to learn, they can be taught. The ability to write well may not be something that can easily be trained, but something superb can be tailored from the idiosyncrasies of different writers--the very notion that someone should accept that they are not a good writer and therefore give up is an abysmal outlook.

Further, while criticisms were to be expected, something as decidedly callous as that should surely be reserved. It most assuredly isn't a mindset I think anyone should adopt--it's far too demoralising.

I understand mindless hope, but I don't think it's in any way effective. If someone is a bad singer, they are a bad singer and that's that. Telling bad singers they are good at singing will prolong their attachment to something they aren't good at and they end up as laughing stocks on the X Factor. The same thing goes for writers, I think. Everything I've ever read by Chrono has been uniformly awfully written; giving him false hope is ultimately a cruel thing to do. I know I'm neither a good singer nor a good writer, and accepting that and moving onto things I know I'm good at is a better idea than simply trying to improve when I know I'll never get beyond mere competence. So there :p

Chrono Mizaki said:
(Oh and I've watched Final Fantasy VII countless times as a FF7tard. And more as a somewhat... more critical person. Sure, he might've changed, but the problem is... When you make a sequel to something that has a vast amount of character development and experiences in their journey with something... HALF-ASSED, then it will partly crumble. Geostigma and the plotline just made it crumble all-together in my opinion)

Putting "tard" at the end of various words is not clever, and you do it far too often. It's a stupid 4chan meme, let it stay there. There's already too much 4chan on here thanks to Lupus Inu's constant smug over-use of it's braindead memes.

Also, you (Chrono Mizaki) seem to use capital letters on random nouns mid-sentence. "Manga", "Banner", "Art Style", "High School", etc. AFAIK, nouns are spelled with capital letters in German, but this is not true for English.

CitizenGeek said:
[

Putting "tard" at the end of various words is not clever, and you do it far too often. It's a stupid 4chan meme, let it stay there. There's already too much 4chan on here thanks to Lupus Inu's constant smug over-use of it's braindead memes.

Just to point out, I've used 'tard' before I even know it was a meme. I don't even look into 4chan nor even seen others post 'tard'. I known it was a meme like... a few months ago? I seen more rickroll and carameldansen than that.
Also, you (Chrono Mizaki) seem to use capital letters on random nouns mid-sentence. "Manga", "Banner", "Art Style", "High School", etc. AFAIK, nouns are spelled with capital letters in German, but this is not true for English.

Okay, I'll take that into consideration, so thanks for pointing it out. But I'm not giving up.

CitizenGeek said:
Maxon said:
Despite CG's blatant fanboyism

Haha, that's incredibly hyperbolic. I mentioned that I disagreed with his assertion that Advent Children is a bad movie, and that's somehow "blatant fanboyism"?

The fact you felt the need to open up with a comment expressing that you disagreed with his overall opinion of Advent Children, despite him having madethe thread for his reviewing style to be criticized in an attempt to better himself, showed your strong feelings for Advent Children; your fanboyism, if you will. We all know how you'll never hear a bad word said about anything Evangelion or Final Fantasy related, so you starting your post like that simply highlighted what is well known on AUKN.

And, for the record, Cloud didn't change very much over the course of the 'story'. He started depressed and pathetic, with no motivation to fight, even though he should've been fine after the end of the game, and he only ended differently because he needed to in order for all the building throwing to occur. It's true he changed from being too wimpy to fight to being less pathetic by the end, but it was forced development at best.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there -- my opinion, your opinion; both are irrelevant. What is relevant is the layout and errors in Chrono's reviews. If you aren't going to tell him much that can help him better himself as reviewer, instead attempting to reignite an old argument with someone who hates you, then, like I myself should've been many times, you should be banned for trolling. Since this is a cry for help topic and I type reviews myself, I understand how strongly Chrono must feel about this, and telling him, in as many words, to stop trying because he isn't smart enough to ever improve isn't a nice thing to do when someone is clearly asking for help.

I was warming to you, after thinking of you as a total bellend for a lengthy period, but it's clear to see you haven't changed at all and still feel the need to show superioty over people you view as your lessors, insulting them to make yourself feel good. Even though I'm going to come across as a little hypocritical here, you're no more than a bully who hides behind a keyboard, deriving satisfaction out of proving yourself right on the internet.

Just for the record: I'm not saying Chrono is good at reviewing. Far from it. However, he clearly puts more effort into his reviews than the sort of people who believe one paragraph to be a review. If he puts in a little more effort, reading other popular reviews and copying from them, then it's possible for him to improve enough for his opinions to be respected. Reviewing isn't a talent (singing is), anyone can do it with a bit of practice and lots of patience.

CitizenGeek said:
There's already too much 4chan on here thanks to Lupus Inu's constant smug over-use of it's braindead memes.
Why are you bringing me into this? I've lurked and laughed at all that's gone on so far. But seriously, just shut up. Advent Children is a **** movie, get over it. Stop crying and taking jabs at Chrono Mizaki. You do it too much, how boring.

I don't see why you have to be so melodramatic sometimes, Aion. If you take it as a personal affront that I like Final Fantasy and Evangelion rather a lot, then I reckon the problem is more with you than with I. My criticisms and advice for Chrono are genuine; he's even thanking me for pointing out the minor problem he had with nouns in the post just above yours.

Reviewing, and being a good writer, are (IMO, at least) talents and that's why I recommended he simply give up on revewing. In hindsight, Chrono is not aspiring to be a professional reviewer and so my harsh recomendation was uncalled and I apologise for it.

As for your opinions on Cloud Strife, it does appear that you too have a stunningly superficial understanding of the character as evidenced by your belief that he simple "should have been fine" after the end of the game. Even worse, you seem to have missed the entire point of the subtlety and nuance in Cloud's character, also. How unfortunate.

One more thing: I don't see the need for you to continually inform of your feelings about me. I honestly do not care even remotely whether you are warming to me, or whether you think I'm evil incarnate and I never have ;]

CitizenGeek said:
Reviewing, and being a good writer, are (IMO, at least) talents and that's why I recommended he simply give up on revewing. In hindsight, Chrono is not aspiring to be a professional reviewer and so my harsh recomendation was uncalled and I apologise for it.

Actually, I'm considering it in the future, so reinstate it if you will. But guys, I know Citizengeek say it in a bad way, but honestly... don't take offense to it =/Sure, he might be a twat to me, but I've got good advice from him as well as others.

Just stop it, please. I'm already angry that my topic has yet been homage to a 'war'

I know I was being brutally honest with my opinion, but that was my opinion and I don't like watering it down. I prefer it when others do the same to me.

I'm pretty awful at reviews (example); as such, my advice is hardly worth taking at all, so don't take what I say too seriously.

CitizenGeek said:
I understand mindless hope, but I don't think it's in any way effective. If someone is a bad singer, they are a bad singer and that's that. Telling bad singers they are good at singing will prolong their attachment to something they aren't good at and they end up as laughing stocks on the X Factor. The same thing goes for writers, I think. Everything I've ever read by Chrono has been uniformly awfully written; giving him false hope is ultimately a cruel thing to do. I know I'm neither a good singer nor a good writer, and accepting that and moving onto things I know I'm good at is a better idea than simply trying to improve when I know I'll never get beyond mere competence. So there :p

You can be trained to write, and you can be trained to write well. One can most definitely improve beyond "mere competence"; if you want to improve, you can.

You really have no need to adopt such a critical stance. Criticism is usually a good thing because it develops the need for self-improvement. In your case, it's decidedly detrimental.

And why in blue blazes do you consistently refer to yourself as a bad writer? I hope you know full well that you can write. If you don't, you've developed a mindset that is needlessly damaging: improvement isn't possible without ambition. A defeatist and apathetic mentality will only prove counterproductive.

I'm no singer. Maybe if you have a bad voice, there's nothing to build on.
But with writing, there is: the foundations may be shaky, but they're secured with each endeavour. Parallels with singing are utterly irrelevant; as in illustration, it completely ignores what writing is. Yes--you may be talented at things other than writing, but that does not mean you cannot learn to do it well. You'll encounter a few geniuses along the way--but that is true of any area in life.

"Men are often a lot less vindictive than women are, because we are rejected constantly every day."

I thought this was true at one point.

Chrono: You say you struggle with how to layout your review, correct?

If that's the case, the three paragraph rule will help you. All a review really needs is an opening, a description and a summary of your thoughts. The opening goes first, the description follows and the summary goes last. Of course, if you intend to create a decent review, you can't leave it there - you'd need to add paragraphs in-between the description and summary.

Your first port of call after the description should be your thoughts on the story, taking as many paragraphs as you need since, unless you're dealing with something involving mindless action, such as Advent Children, it's the most important thing you'll cover. Then you should move onto talking about the characters because they are often as important, or sometimes even more important, than the story itself.

And then you'll be left with discussing the art, animation, music and voice acting. I don't put much effort into discussing these things because I have a bad memory and don't have an eye for detail. Unless something is excellent or awful, I mention these things briefly just so I've covered everything. If the reviewer knows lots about the above then I'm sure he/she would spend a lot of time covering all 4 in great detail, but I don't.

So....

Opening (1-2 paragraphs)
Description (1 Paragraph)
Story / Characters / Art + Animation / Music + Voice Acting (Depends on reviewer)
Summary (1 Paragraph)

...isn't that an easy way to work a review?

Of course, I sometimes change my review style, like when I reviewed Genshiken and covered the characters and story as one because it's character driven, but I think it's a good way to create a decent review.

Edit: After having just glanced through your reviews, it seems you are trying to do the above already. Layout isn't much of an issue. I assumed it would be going on the first section of the Bitter Virgin review.

So, the problem you have is the huge amount of errors and some of the content, such as the winter 2009 part of the Bitter Virgin review. The only way to get rid of the errors is to improve your English and proof read, so I can't help you out there. And as for the content, your ability to convey your thoughts through text can only be improved through time and copying. As soon as you've mastered the layout side, everything else can only be improved by your brain.

Back