Higurashi ~ When They Cry

Shakey

Dandy Guy, in Space
Lately i have really got into the manga of this series. I was wondering if the anime adaption is ever likely to see a release over here? because i'm really interested in seeing it.

My guess would be: Children being victims of and committing horrific murders in an "appealing to kids" animation + BBFC = No UK release for Higurashi. Even if it was it would probably be hacked to death in the cutting room (pun intentional).

I don't have a multi region dvd player, i guess i will have to get one of those too. I assume the thin pack is the whole series? Is the series as good as the manga? i know it has a decent score on MAL but thats not always the best way to judge a series.

Pretty much every cheap DVD player can be turned into a region free player.

A complete series set is coming out, yes, but I think the cheapest price new is $40 (excluding postage), and that's over the customs limit. If you want it, you'll either have to pay a lot, ordering from a UK based import store or take a risk and hope customs miss your parcel.

I have the Geneon art box + volumes 1-3. I need to fill the box up, but it'd cost too muh to import singles...

Thanks for the info Aion. On the subject of UK import stores, do you know of any good ones?

P.S. I just came across your review (not literally) of the series. It's a good review, makes me wanna see it even more and your comments about the box made me laugh.

Do you mean brick and mortar stores or websites? If its the latter then i used Playusa (free p&p but in this case you'll be buying the singles at almost UK prices) and amazon marketplace. UP1 is a good site to get things from but i've not checked their prices in a while, but they will have already paid the custom charges on their goods, so don't expect it to be cheap.

It's not a problem :) i'm great a fan of the series myself, i just hope that umineko no naku koro ni gets picked up for a western release, but the absence of Higurashi Kai kinda kills all hope for that

@BlackWolf
I found the boxset on UP1 for £36 so im tempted to buy it, i just hope i enjoy the anime as much as the manga.

@Clouded
That doesn't sound like a bad idea and the players themselves don't seem too pricey. I notice your from the northants area too, where ya from? if thats not too nosey.

Axelmusic.com has the set for around £33 if you're saving pennies ;)

I'll be getting it now it's finally coming out in a set, too. Have been interested in a while and some of the members of this site have infectious praise for the show.

On the DVD thing, I have a proper region-selectable standalone but on my computer I also went region free. You can either add a second drive and have one for each (the lazy but effective way - having 2 drives can be handy!) or most likely mod your existing drive to be region-free or at least reset its region lock on reboot with about 5 minutes' non-technical work. It's worth looking into if you're interested; by all means support the UK anime companies but some stuff will never make it over here.

R

No taxes with AxelMusic, but their prices aren't always that great and if you want anything large the postage can be sky-high. I wanted the Slayers Series 1-3 R1 box, but at £7 for postage they can sod off. Even YesAsia give you free postage from Hong Kong!

BlackWolf said:
See i was looking at that site when i was looking for the Zeta Gundam sets, but i've never used it, how would you rate them?

They're decent guys. As ayase says you usually pay postage (though it's pretty reasonable compared to US sites); they do very rarely run free shipping promotions during holidays which can help. For single volumes the postage is almost unnoticeable but with this hobby things can soon add up ;)

They also sometimes run ridiculously good deals on single items. Like this (68% off, if the link has changed by the time you read this):

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/631595091175

It's worth wishlisting things or skimming the clearance section regularly in case the bargains correspond to something you're after.

Other than that I mainly use them as an alternative to up1 for larger things I don't want to pay import taxes on.

R

@Clouded
I pretty much live with the missus full time now so even though i'm a kettering boy i live just the other side of ntown now in Mears Ashby. Most people have never heard of it but its about ten miles from hunsbury. I thought i was the only anime/manga fan in the county lol.

@Rui
Thanks for all the info, i managed to change the settings on my laptop so it will play differnet regions. Now i just have to order the series and wait patiently.

The only thing I am finding annoying with Axelmusic at the moment is that they take the money upfront and then you have to wait even after the release date for pre-ordered items sometimes. Postage is not too bad, and makes a good alternative to the likes of playusa when you work out how much duty would cost on things over £18. One thing I like is if they could have charged less for something they may send a voucher for money off next time.

ayase said:
My guess would be: Children being victims of and committing horrific murders in an "appealing to kids" animation + BBFC = No UK release for Higurashi. Even if it was it would probably be hacked to death in the cutting room (pun intentional).

i think they would let it go uncut (if it were to get a UK licensor), afterall Elfen Lied got away with it and that had child murder in it

but i guess the deaths in that are far less realistic than Higurashi's deaths, i dunno :?

Back