Highlander: Why so little <3?

Aion

Time-Traveller
Last night, I re-watched Highlander on DVD. Previously I'd seen the DC version via my PC. The only key differences I noticed between the two versions was the cutting of some of my favourite dialogue spoken by Marcus - the first instance being the "That wasn't very nice!" b-movie type line after his picture was cut in half by Colin and the second being the ultimate put down; when Marcus compared his own accomplishments over 2000 years with Colin's lack of anything other than trying and failing to get revenge.

The only major flaws of the movie, which prevented me from 9/10ing it, were no doubt caused by how Kawajiri was rushed/had to work with non-JP Highlander people. Dahila's sudden, out of nowhere realization that she was Moya's reincarnation was VERY poorly executed, and Colin SOMEHOW managing to better his nemesis after getting his **** kicked for around 2000 years was probably even worse. But if I ignore those issues, it's an amazing film; both visually and theme wise.

It's romantic for a guy to hate the killer of his lover so much that he'd spend well over twenty lifetimes hunting for a truly hate worthy baddie. And it's tragic to think that, blinded by hatred, someone could repeatedly fail to realize his lover's soul was searching for him, throughout time. All in all, I liked the hate/love theme, and transitions between past and present that occurred throughout the film, A LOT.

How can a film with Kawajiri action sequences like this get such lowly averages, across the board? I DON'T GET IT! The horse-mounted sword duel early on in the film was enough to get me off.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDV7E_iHwIE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDV7E_iHwIE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(starts @ 3:30 - I cum when the action reaches the roof)

It's also worth noting that the dub is CLASS. I LOOOOVE how Marcus puts down Colin with his "Bar...barian!" insult.

Since I love most old school Yoshiaki Kawajiri anime (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Cyber City OEDO being firm favourites) I was interested in this, but got put off by all the negative buzz around the net and in reviews. That said he's always taken a beating from some quarters as far back as Ninja Scroll. His films may not be masterful works of refined storytelling, but he always nails the direction in action scenes. Going on the clip it actually looks pretty entertaining - shall definitely give it a look.

I liked it, its the best Highlander related spin off/sequel or whatever since the original film.

Though I do agree that maybe the villain was being too lenient leaving him alive every single time when he should have just finished him.

This was also a nice nod back to the late 80's/early 90's era of anime. I think a lot of people are quick to push those years behind them like they never happened, but for me they are fond part of my childhood.

Funnily enough, I saw this in HMV today for a fiver and said to my mate who was with me, "I really ought to buy that". I was expecting it to be terrible, but if it's any good, that's even more reason to do so.

I gather that Kawajiri has been let out of space prison to make a web series about "a guy in drag who fights ninjas", so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Professor Irony said:
I gather that Kawajiri has been let out of space prison to make a web series about "a guy in drag who fights ninjas", so I'm looking forward to that as well.

benten.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind...

£2.99 from HMV online. On the strength of that clip and recommendation (and still on my OEDO high) how can I refuse? I f*ckin' love those character designs too.

I, like everyone else, thought it'd be naff based on it being an adaptation of an American flick that spawned numerous (supposedly) awful sequels... when it wasn't even very good, to begin with. But I was going through a Kawajiri phase at the time, and Fabriluna reminded me I'd left Highlander until last.

What works in its favour, just like Bloodlust, is - I'm assuming - that it was dubbed FIRST in English. (The DC version I watched was in English, and I don't think it's out outside of Japan, so...) Naturally, the dubs are of the highest caliber, and it's always nice hearing a Scottish person sound Scottish.

Madhouse (bestest studio, by far) + Kawajiri (bestest action flick director, by far) = quality

In terms of pure enjoyment, I probably rank Highlander higher than Bloodlust. Highlander has some glaringly obvious holes, where as Bloodlust remains consistently excellent throughout. But I love the two of them for their art and Kawajiri's direction.

I've always viewed Ninja Scroll as overrated. Until I re-watched it a few months back, I 5/10'd it. I 7/10'd it after getting more out of the typically depressing Kawajiri romance subplot, and the subtle hints contained within the interactions of the leads at the second time of asking, but I still don't see what all the fuss is about. Visually and plot/theme wise, Kawajiri's two recent flicks blow it out of the ground.

By the by, these links (as well as Highlander for £2.99, which I went for myself!) + a credit card should lead to every REAL man on this forum feeling happy. REAL men don't need school girls in mini-skirts to get their kicks.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - £4.99 (9/10 - you don't need to watch the prequel, 'cause I didn't)
Blade of the Phantom Master - £5 (8/10)
Sword of the Stranger - £5.99 (9/10)
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - £3.97 (8/10)

There's a lot of animated junk out there, but there's also a hell of a lot of outstanding anime action-focused films available for very little.

And if you want some CG fun as well, then...

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/hack-G-U- ... 102790.htm

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ziPgYeTuePA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ziPgYeTuePA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Highlander IS futuristic, by the way - starting in 100-something AD and then then going all the way to 21-something.

Marcus wants to re-create his vision of Rome in the present. Or something.

Shiroi Hane said:
Wow, so other people do own this. I'll admit I only got it because it was cheap.
I bought the R1 on release because I'm such a Kawajiri whore. Personally I think the film has some pacing issues and the script is iffy in places (at least this is what I recall saying after watching it; don't ask me, several years down the line, to provide examples), and the lead female has an even more hideous hairstyle than her equivalent in Bloodlust, but I certainly had no complaints with Kawajiri's typically stylish action sequences.

I obtained the Director's Cut a while back and will have to give it a watch.

It's a shame the DC is JP-only... in spite of it being in English. That's mighty retarded. Methinks Highland-tards weren't impressed with a violent, non-Disney cartoon. I bet the skirt-wearing plonkers hated The Lion King 'cause Simba's dad got murdered, too - soft [expletive deleted]!

...In any event, I only noticed cuts during the flashback montage; part of which got covered in the OP video. The dialogue mentioned in the OP was from that montage, and the WWII scene in the church lasted a lot longer in the DC version. The dialogue aside, Moya's other reincarnations briefly got shown; during the Rome bit, Colin ignored her reincarnation's plea for help and charged after Marcus.

In other Kawajiri, DVD related matters: the Bloodlust audio is as silently low as I recall on R2 DVD as I recall the file downloaded from the net being. Even with my headphones maxed out on my PC, I often struggled to hear bits of dialogue, and it was a pain to watch the film at night, on my TV. What makes it worse is the fact the sound effects are louder than the voices...

Back