HELP!!!! Any ideas on which anime film i should buy next???

brynthaboss

Dandy Guy, in Space
i'm in need of some help has i want to buy a new anime film. but there is so many out there that look so good to choose from i dont know which to buy.

i would appreciate the help.

Hmm... I'll just list off the ones I liked in descending order. Our tastes will differ a bit though, so it'd help if you said what kind of thing you usually watch!

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Akira, Tokyo Godfathers, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ghost in the Shell, Castle of Cagliolostro (Sp?), Perfect Blue, Memories, Metropolis.

Any of them are worth a look, but i'd definatly go with those. other ideas (stuff I haven't seen and therefore can't be certain is great): Ninja Scroll, Patlabor 1 & 2, Castle in the Sky (not available on R2 DVD anymore)

The ones ive been watching alately are both vampire hunters and blood: TLV. also ive got ghostsweeper: mikami, FF:U Phaes 1,2,3 and GITS.

i like anything to do with vampires and horror really. also futuristic stuff.

Can recomend Patlabor 1&2 (got em both). Also recomend Cowboy bebop (the moive, its how i got into the series), and R.O.D. (okay techincally and OAV, but didn't realise it at the time l got it).
However would tell you to stear clear of the following moives
Shadow Skill, Spriggan, X-1999 The Moive
Shadow Skill and X-1999 both seem to be badlly hacked and compressed sereis (even if X came before the series, don't know about shadow skill) and Spriggan is just your average hollywood B-moive/blockbuster but anime instead of live action.

thanks for that. my mate was going to buy spriggan so i will tell him to stay clear. could you give me an opinion on new dominion tank police.

that would be helpful cheers

^Personally, I didn't think too much of Domnion Tank Police, but I have freinds who did. Your milleage may vary but I'd recommend not buying it until you get some more info on whether you like it or not (or prefereably, see it for yourself).

Also I'd recommend the 4 part OAV series Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (in the UK it's sold in two volumes and called 'Samurai X: Trust', and 'Samurai X: Betrayal'). Not horror or sci-fi, but it's a really great samurai epic. It's based off a series called Rurouni Kenshin, but it's a prequel to the series, so you don't need to worry about spoiling any real plot points.

Finally, if you like Vampire stuff, you'll probably like Hellsing. It's a 13 part TV series that pretty much oozes style. And blood. Lot's of blood.

Well it is about vampires after all. :mrgreen:

These days you can pick it up for around 40 quid off the internet for the boxset. Definitely better than the 80 you'd have had to have paid earlier to pick up the individual volumes.

my friends got the boxset of samurai x. he payed 12 pound for it at gamestation. lucky sod as they sell it on play for 39.99

it includes the movie, reflection, betrayal and trust.

what are your personal faves.

Personal Favourites?

Well I really love Crest of the Stars (13 part series), but it's not available in the UK (there's also 2 more series, Banner of the stars I & II, which follow on from it, but I haven't gotten those. At least, not yet). If you like your in-detph sci-fi / space opera stuff, then this is definitely for you.

RahXephon is really good (26 episode series). Just ignore the people who keep trying to compare it to Evangelion. :mrgreen:

Patlabor 1 & 2. Both very intelligent movies, the 2nd movie particularly, is quite complex and political.

Trigun (another 26 episode series). It's basically a sci-fi space western, set on a desert planet under 2 suns. It's about an incredible gunman with a $$600,000,000,000 bounty on his head. I won't say more than that though at risk of spoiling it. It's funny and cool.

Then there's Cowboy Bebop, which by now is pretty much a legendary series in animé circles. 4 bounty hunters (and a dog) tooling around space, jusr trying to make ends meet. And if that means blowing stuff up, then so be it. :mrgreen:

Actually, there's a lot of stuff I could go on about that I really like. Last Exile, Hellsing, Miyazaki movies (slipped my mind while I was typing), Read or Die... All those animé deserve to have volumes said about them, but you can probably read it elsewhere.

ye i downloaded the first episode of trigun and i thought it was good. i am waiting for them to come out. they get released soon. thanks for your help.

which is better the cowboy bebop movie or the series.

Haven't seen the movie, but the series is awesome. It's all about the style and the music.

Plus it goes into my category of top 10 endings of all time.

brynthaboss said:
which is better the cowboy bebop movie or the series.

The movie is a part of the series, although you don't have to see it, as it's not an integral part of the story, it comes between episodes 22 & 23 I think!!
I wouldn't watch the movie on it's own though, as you do need a little of the background character info to know what it's about :D

BTW you mentioned New Dominion Tank Police. It's a real classic anime and still one of my favourites but if you're a fan that only likes modern CG anime, I wouldn't go for it!
If you like Cat Girls and giant tanks and lots of explosions, it's great fun :lol:

The Tenchi movies are extremely good, it would be nice to have seen the Tenchi Muyo OVA but not 100% necessary to enjoy the movies :D

no i like new and old. so i might get new dominion tank police.

its a shame you didn't write earlier because i bought cowboy bebop the movie last night.

brynthaboss said:
no i like new and old. so i might get new dominion tank police.

its a shame you didn't write earlier because i bought cowboy bebop the movie last night.

between 5 & 9 last night I was playing Phantasy Star Online (offline!).

What I'd suggest you do with Cowboy Bebop, is find a webiste that tells you about the story and the characters before you watch the movie, as long as you know who Spike, Jet and Faye are and a little of what it is they've been up to, you should still enjoy the movie!

If you enjoy old anime as well, not sure if you can still pick these up but I'd recommend Wicked City and Monster City, lots of blood and demons (but not Urotsukidoji types!), a little bit of sexual reference but not much :D damned good stories!

brynthaboss said:
i play phantasy star online (offline)!! ive got it for the gamecube. what have you got it for.

i might just buy the series as well.

It's a damned good series, I first watched it about 3 years ago! Unlike a lot of people though, I didn't like the dub. You're supposed to believe Ed is a boy but in the dub she sounds like a girl from word go - pants :evil:

I also play it on a Gamecube! I've just started new characters as the old ones got boring! I have a level 34 female android hunter on hard mines! I deleted a level 119 male elf force on ulitimate but kinda regret it now :cry: Can't wait for Episodes 1 & 2 plus, it allows you to play the online games offline! never been able to play online :(

Last edited by a moderator:
same here. the gamecubes internet facillities is rubbish. i just play on it with 3 of my mates. i had a character on level 71. cant remember what type though. then my memory card just formatted one day for no reason. that wound me up.

i started again but i could never really get back into it. im on level 31 now i think.

what other games you got for the cube.

brynthaboss said:
same here. the gamecubes internet facillities is rubbish. i just play on it with 3 of my mates. i had a character on level 71. cant remember what type though. then my memory card just formatted one day for no reason. that wound me up.

i started again but i could never really get back into it. im on level 31 now i think.

what other games you got for the cube.

I play solo or with my 11 year old son :D

We're a bit off topic here! but the other games I have are very few as I'm not a gamer as such!
Animal Crossing, Pokemon Colleseum, Mario Part 4 & 5, Pikmin 1 & 2.

I'm going to start another Male Elf Force soon, as I don't fancy Ultimate Ruins with a hunter! There are too many creepy nasties in ultimate that are easier to get standing in a doorway using magic :twisted:

There is a PC version available too for ease of playing online but I've no way of paying the subscription - shame :cry:

that dunt matter i started the topic.

ive got them apart from pokemon coloseum. is it any good.

i like both of the pikmin games.

i was wondering if you knew where i could get some cheap animes as im a student and dont have that much money to spend.

brynthaboss said:
that dunt matter i started the topic.

ive got them apart from pokemon coloseum. is it any good.

i like both of the pikmin games.

i was wondering if you knew where i could get some cheap animes as im a student and dont have that much money to spend.

Love Pokemon Colleseum (sp?), it's like playing ruby/sapphire in big form :lol: You can't catch pokemon in the grass though, you steal them from bad guys! You fight the same and have a cool bike to get to each town :p The battles are challenging too. I completed it but it has replayability!

Can you download anime? I can PM you a site link. If you have a video player I would recommend you buy anime videos on ebay, they go for as little as 99p!

Back