Hello (waves)

Scrambled Valkyrie

School Idol
Hello everyone. I've been looking to join an anime/manga forum for a while and since I'm in the UK this seemed like the one!
A bit about me: I'm 37, I work in a pretty dull office job (Looking to change that in the near future). I've loved anime, manga and Japanese cinema since I was 13 (way back in 1993). I started blogging about it this year and I also recently did proofreading for the subtitles on Animeigo's recent release of Riding Bean.

I aim to get my writing published in physical book form one day, I write fiction and I think I have a book or two in my brain somewhere. I collect a lot of physical anime and manga releases and I love figures and model kits.

I play a few console games when I have the time. I live in Newcastle.

Looking forward to conversing with a lot of like-minded people and getting a lot of discussions going.

I like your Avatar too bud! :) Yeah I really think Ulysses 31 is a show that stood the test of time. Some lovely animation, mechanical designs by good old Shoji Kawamori, some creative re-imaginings of the greek myths and a bloody fantastic ending. As you say....great theme tune too!

So much imagination in it too....and it was dark for a show aimed at kids!

A dude called adamadamant on Youtube remastered the entire series and washed away the taste of those crappy UK R2 DVDs. Would still like an official disc release though.
Cities of Gold is damn good too, at least the DVDs of that show were handled right. Two toys I was denied in my childhood were the Odyssey from Ulysses and the Golden Condor from Mysterious Cities of Gold. The condor didn't exist at the time, there was a Odyssey from Popy in Japan but I'm not sure if it got a UK release in toy stores or not.

Glad I could be of help D1tchd1gger.
The voice acting is a little ahem..... "of its time" but for the reasons mentioned above I still really love it. The VAs themselves are suited to the characters the acting is just a little bit stilted and awkward at times (possibly some of it is due to dub timing issues and Japanese/french being quite different to English) but the amount of imagination and brilliant design and ideas/storytelling still makes for great viewing in my opinion. Cities of Gold is pretty good too, it actually got a second series that continues the story of the first a few years back but I haven't got round to watching it. The new season wasn't animated in Japan though and some of the voice cast changed. It seems to have had some good feedback from fans and it does continue the original continuity from where the first one left off.

Thanks! It's been a very warm welcome so far. To be honest I've not had the best experience with forums in the past. A lot of my posts have kind of went ignored, I've probably had more responses in a few hours since I joined here than I've had in my entire time on some old forums I was on. I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy posting here.

Hey dude, welcome to the forums :)

I do hope you achieve success with your writing; if it's what you love you should totally do it!

I'd actually love to start collecting some figurines this year; which ones do you like to collect? I've seen some cool gundam model kits around too, I'd love to try making one of those!

Nice to meet you and enjoy ^^

:) welcome to the forums dude! Don't foreget that lots of people have sales here.
I haven't made artwork a habit in a while, but I'm also hoping to one day get a comic/manga published, if anyone would do that for an original ip in the U.K. my idea is to get the skills, then do webcomics finishing the latest one when I feel I've got enough noriety to get published, have you submitted "unofficial work" anywhere before? If anyone sees those and likes them well those could be tour ticket

Hey dude, welcome to the forums :)

I do hope you achieve success with your writing; if it's what you love you should totally do it!

I'd actually love to start collecting some figurines this year; which ones do you like to collect? I've seen some cool gundam model kits around too, I'd love to try making one of those!

Nice to meet you and enjoy ^^

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Well I've really enjoyed doing my blog Animehead's retroworld lately (see the thread in creative projects) just need to find a bit more time to work on that, my fiction and the brand new podcast that Orgun and I are working on (See The Retro Mecha Podcast thread also in creative projects).

I collect all kinds of figures but 95% of them are anime and manga themed and I really love my robots. Macross, Gundam, Patlabor, Armoured Trooper Votoms, super robot shows, anything mecha basically. I also collect the Transformers Masterpiece line that's based on the original 1984 show. I also have a lot of One Piece and Dragon Ball characters, I get a lot of the Crane King One Piece figures and with Dragon Ball I'm currently collecting the Figuarts line. Will try and update in some of the figure threads whenever I get some new ones. I have a few on order that should be here soon (all robots) actually so I'll try and post those. I've built one Gundam kit and one Patlabor kit in the last year, it's a fun hobby but it can be frustrating if you make a mistake that affects the look of the kit, like clipping off a bit too much plastic from a certain area.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Well I've really enjoyed doing my blog Animehead's retroworld lately (see the thread in creative projects) just need to find a bit more time to work on that, my fiction and the brand new podcast that Orgun and I are working on (See The Retro Mecha Podcast thread also in creative projects).

I collect all kinds of figures but 95% of them are anime and manga themed and I really love my robots. Macross, Gundam, Patlabor, Armoured Trooper Votoms, super robot shows, anything mecha basically. I also collect the Transformers Masterpiece line that's based on the original 1984 show. I also have a lot of One Piece and Dragon Ball characters, I get a lot of the Crane King One Piece figures and with Dragon Ball I'm currently collecting the Figuarts line. Will try and update in some of the figure threads whenever I get some new ones. I have a few on order that should be here soon (all robots) actually so I'll try and post those. I've built one Gundam kit and one Patlabor kit in the last year, it's a fun hobby but it can be frustrating if you make a mistake that affects the look of the kit, like clipping off a bit too much plastic from a certain area.

Ah, it's the way it goes for sure, finding the time. I'm getting back into art myself after a hiatus, slowly but surely :)

Sounds really cool, and yeah, you just can't beat a bit of mecha ;) I can imagine the frustration of doing something like that, but they do look fun to do. I've had my eye on the Heavyarms kit; I think its the 1/144 scale, so not very big, but I've read good reviews about the quality and detail of the kits, so that's really good. You know, Dragonball and One Piece are two anime I just couldn't get into, however I do appreciate their poularity amongst anime fans in general :) As for figures I've seen loads of awesome ones on my internet browses. There's a pair I'd love to have one day but I don't know if I could ever justify the expense: it's the figurines of Heero and Relena, I believe the poses are taken from the Endless Waltz movie, but both figurines would cost in excess of £300 XD They do look amazing in terms of quality though; really beautiful figures! I can dream...haha!

Back