Gundam Wing DVD help!

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
I've been trying to get into Gundam and I decided that Gundam Wing was a good place to start. But Beez are really awful with the Gundam series and trying to get started with the series is really confusing :[

Y'see, there are two different kinds of Gundam Wing DVDs - normal volumes, and boxsets. The boxsets come with 2 regular volumes and Gundam figure. I want to start collecting the box sets, but no website seems to have the first box set in stock. So I want to know if Beez actually did release the first boxset, or is it just out of print or what? Am I just supposed to buy the first two normal volumes and then start on the boxsets?

AnimeUK masses, I need your help!

Yeah Beez are kinda screwed up with Gundam wing. I went looking for those DVDs here there and everywhere. Eventually I just bought the Region 1 half series boxsets but if you want to buy the Beez Region 2 releases its avalible here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Suit-Gun ... 652&sr=1-8
if you can buy on Amazon.co.uk :p I think thats the boxset, if its not then Amazon seroiusly need to work on titles they put on thier products.

Personally would avoid Gundam Wing. Weakest of the series (bar SEED Destiny, but haven't finished SD yet so it may :roll: be able to redeem itself). If your looking to start on Gundam, suggest either the original movies, or SEED

Sakimori said:
Yeah Beez are kinda screwed up with Gundam wing. I went looking for those DVDs here there and everywhere. Eventually I just bought the Region 1 half series boxsets but if you want to buy the Beez Region 2 releases its avalible here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Suit-Gun ... 652&sr=1-8
if you can buy on Amazon.co.uk :p I think thats the boxset, if its not then Amazon seroiusly need to work on titles they put on thier products.

Yeah, I saw that, but I'm not exactly sure it's the boxset that includes vol. 1 and 2 and the Gundam figure. They really ought to label their products correctly! I think I'll contact one of the Marketplace sellers and ask them if they're selling the box set I want.

hopeful_monster said:
Personally would avoid Gundam Wing. Weakest of the series (bar SEED Destiny, but haven't finished SD yet so it may be able to redeem itself). If your looking to start on Gundam, suggest either the original movies, or SEED

Yeah, but these boxsets have Gundam figures!! And most people seem to be positive about it. I really do want to get into Gundam - mecha is by far my favorite genre and Gundam is pretty much essential viewing for any mecha fan, yes? What would you say is the best series in the series?

Gundam Wing isn't that great, but it is better than a lot of people make it out to be. There's lots of talk about the nature of war, which doesn't make much sense and the fights aren't that interesting. I enjoyed it nonetheless, but then it was my first Gundam.

Zeta, Turn A and Seed are the best series, probably in that order. Personally I enjoyed Seed the most out of the three, but they're all very good and should not be missed. Seed's the only one to have received a UK release though, and makes the better starting point. Zeta is available in R1, but it's also the direct sequel to the original gundam series, so you'll need to watch the movie trilogy before starting on that.

P.S. Judging by release date, this is the listing for the first boxset with figure. It's also not available.

CitizenGeek said:
So, SEED is the one to go for with Gundam?

What are the movies like?

Noratav said:
P.S. Judging by release date, this is the listing for the first boxset with figure. It's also not available.

;_;

Personally I would just say, go watch whatever Gundam series you want. I personally don't like Gundam Seed as the whole people with Magic powers in Gundams put me off. Gundam wing is pretty simple, its not got too many series surrounding it to make your brain explode and its where I started with Gundam.
The movies are pretty good but they look really dated but then again so does Akira and I would never think of that movie as anything but brilliant so its up to you.

The only thing dated about Akira is the lack of any intrusively obvious CGI work. It may be one of the most detailed hand-animated movies in existence. The Gundam movies look NOTHING like as good as Akira. The majority of animation in them is lifted direct from the 1979 Television series. Choice cuts they may be, but they're not very impressive to look at. Still fun though.

CitizenGeek said:
So, SEED is the one to go for with Gundam?

No, Wing and the movies are good places to start. The only UK released Gundam you should avoid is the F91 movie. Other than that my only comment is that, It's best to watch Zeta before Char's Counterattack.

As for the movies, don't forget they are ten years older than Akira, and Akira had a big budget for its time, Gundam did not. They're still good though.

kupoartist said:
The only thing dated about Akira is the lack of any intrusively obvious CGI work. It may be one of the most detailed hand-animated movies in existence. The Gundam movies look NOTHING like as good as Akira. The majority of animation in them is lifted direct from the 1979 Television series. Choice cuts they may be, but they're not very impressive to look at. Still fun though.

Cool, it'll be like a history lesson in anime then ... maybe =D

Noratav said:
No, Wing and the movies are good places to start. The only UK released Gundam you should avoid is the F91 movie. Other than that my only comment is that, It's best to watch Zeta before Char's Counterattack.

As for the movies, don't forget they are ten years older than Akira, and Akira had a big budget for its time, Gundam did not. They're still good though.

Great, thanks for all the help! ^_^ I think I'll get the Gundam movies set (expensive and all as it is for a 30 year old anime) and then start on Wing!

Noratav said:
The only UK released Gundam you should avoid is the F91 movie.
And the 0083 Movie. That sucks so hard, Bandai never released it in the US.

Seed before Wing IMO. Wing is a laughable anime good only for 'drink when you sense the homoeroticism' drinking games.

kupoartist said:
Noratav said:

Seed before Wing IMO. Wing is a laughable anime good only for 'drink when you sense the homoeroticism' drinking games.

Sounds like a fun drinking game! :D Homoeroticism is pretty easy to come by in lots of anime and it wouldn´t really turn me off an anime to be honest, but considering everyone seems to think that SEED is better than Wing and Wing is ridiculously hard to find, I think I´ll go for SEED first! ^_^

CitizenGeek said:
kupoartist said:
Noratav said:

Sounds like a fun drinking game! :D Homoeroticism is pretty easy to come by in lots of anime and it wouldn´t really turn me off an anime to be honest, but considering everyone seems to think that SEED is better than Wing and Wing is ridiculously hard to find, I think I´ll go for SEED first! ^_^

If you'd tried that game with Wing you'd be drunk exceptionally quickly. Yaoi undertones are a common way of trying to attract a female audience in anime, but Wing is especially renowned for it and with good reason.

Noratav said:
CitizenGeek said:
kupoartist said:

If you'd tried that game with Wing you'd be drunk exceptionally quickly. Yaoi undertones are a common way of trying to attract a female audience in anime, but Wing is especially renowned for it and with good reason.
Could even get away with playing it with SEED, but you wouldn't need the six kegs of beer, two ought to do it.

Back