Gundam SEED Destiny

Rurouni H

Student Council President
I'm probably beginning to bore everyone by going on about Gundam series for the better part of my posts, but has anyone seen this yet? The opening and ending themes are really catchy, and you don't have to have too much of a knowledge of the previous SEED to get into it. The mecha designs are really cool as well...

Just curious to see what people thought of it, that's all.

I've been tempted to check this out, especially since it's so popular, but having never seen even one episode of SEED or anything from the Gundam franchise, I'm slightly hesistant that a few important story points will go over my head.

Is there any previous knowledge of SEED assumed? Like character relationships etc?

It does help, considering that two characters from the original SEED play major roles in the first few episodes, and there are definately going to be return appearences from other characters. However, the leading cast are mostly new characters, and as for the plot, the openings into episode 2 onwards provide a couple of useful notes following the events of SEED. It'll follow the same Gundam formula of love, war, politics and giant robot fights, so my advice is check out the first couple of episodes and see what you think. This is already shaping up to be far superior to SEED, at any rate.

OK, I think you've sold me on this, I've always wanted to see what all the fuss was about anyway. I'll download the first few episodes tonight and see what I make of it.

Anyone else watching this?

Destiny is fansub only at the minute, the first volume scheduled for release in Japan 2005. SEED is currently available in the US (Up to vol3), and is due for a release (allegedly) in the UK sometime in early 2005. SEED is pretty slow moving to begin with, so why recap episodes are needed is beyond me...

this seire rocks i help fansub it for a group and i had to time the opening and ending and the songs are so great. this seire is up to ep 6 on fansubs now i i recomend this to all mecha or gundam fans.

At last! Somebody has actually seen it!

Yeah, I love the music to it. 'Reason' is currently the one I'm playing over and over to myself...

Things are getting good now following the Junius 7 drop on Earth and the wave of anti-coordinator sentiment around world. Seeing most of the old cast of SEED is good, although protagonist Shinn isn't showing up as much as I'd want. At times, it feels like SEED, especially with the heavy involvement of the original cast. That said, episode 14 was really good, especially with the Freedom cruising in and gatecrashing Cagalli's wedding :D . All else aside, this is turning into a really good series, definately better than the original SEED was at this point.

The opening has changed, and it looks a lot better than the previous one. This time the song is "Pride" by High and Mighty Color and it's just as catchy as the last one.

Anyone still watching?

Last edited by a moderator:
i ahte the the new opening songs it starts off good for like like 10 secs then just sucks after that the ending song is way better ... well thats what i think anyway. (i may only think this as i had to time the ending for gsd)

Looks like Bandai have licenced it along with the SEED Special editions... that was quick. All the better though, especially if the DVDs come out before the end of the year. I wonder if Beez will distribute this here now that they've stepped up their marketing?

I dont see Gundam seed destiny coming out till the later half of next year in the UK, as the frist season (Gundam seed) will not come out till June this year. Gundam seed has like 51 eps (i think) so it will take about a year for the whole of the frist season to be out in the UK.

Technically I meant the US, but yeah, I'd almost forgotten about SEED being released here, so Destiny definately won't come out until that series has finished.

Hmm... Gundam Seed Destiny is quite good, and a worthy sequel to the first series.
However I [personally] don't think that it is better or as good as the first Gundam Seed series.
First, it's quite difficult to get into the new characters, as your wondering 'where are the characters from the first series, that we love so dearly'. However after a few episodes in you do get to know a little more about them.
Second, I really dislike the Impulse Gundam. Which seems to me, is a wannabe Strike Gundam, that's also a 1:1 scale model kit.

To me it's certainly not a bad series and is quite good, but I have this nagging feeling that it is going to end up being just a repeat of the first series (with a bunch of new characters and new mobile suits to keep people interested). Which it is starting to look like though.

Ah excellent, another person who is watching! That brings the total count to... 3 on this forum...

Six said:
First, it's quite difficult to get into the new characters, as your wondering 'where are the characters from the first series, that we love so dearly'. However after a few episodes in you do get to know a little more about them.

Well, it is a sequel, you know...

Six said:
Second, I really dislike the Impulse Gundam. Which seems to me, is a wannabe Strike Gundam, that's also a 1:1 scale model kit

Its more a wannabe V Gundam really. It doesn't distinguish itself much due to the fact that Kunio Okawara designed it, and hes been doing Gundam designs since Tomino first came up with the series 25 years back. I think Chris Guanche over at <a href="http://www.mahq.net/" target="_blank">MAHQ</a> put it best when he wondered if Okawara had a program that randomly generated Gundam lineart, since his designs are now THAT samey. And there are model kits of EVERY Gundam EVER. Theres nothing strange that there would be one of the leading Mecha of the new series. Are you sure about the 1:1 scale bit though? :shock:

Six said:
To me it's certainly not a bad series and is quite good, but I have this nagging feeling that it is going to end up being just a repeat of the first series (with a bunch of new characters and new mobile suits to keep people interested). Which it is starting to look like though.

Given that SEED was a remix of First Gundam, Zeta, and Wing, are you really that surprised? Destiny is making itself just a little more diverse than SEED though, which is why I like it a lot more.

I like Gundam SEED Destiny, but I prefered the first SEED. That said, my knowledge of the Gundam universe is limited.

Nice to hear its been licensed, and so will probably come out here next year after SEED has been released.

Rurouni H,

considering that the only other Gundam series I've seen is Gundam Wing, I don't have much of a clue on what influence Seed has had from the other two series' you mentioned.
Maybe I'm just ranting. But I'm telling you that it does have that feeling of that it's a rerun of Seed.

As for the 1:1 Impulse Gundam model kit. Like those little model kits you can buy, the Impulse Gundam itself is one of those model kits but in 1:1 scale. It assembles itself in midflight. :p

Fair enough, I was just trying to make sure that the history of Gundam series up to SEED isn't lost on people.

Its true Destiny does retain a lot of the plot points of SEED, i.e. the Stolen Gundams, Another hate-incited war, and the return of older characters such as Athrun, Cagalli, Lacus, and Kira with his new upgraded ass-kicking Freedom Gundam :D . However, this time the story is being told from the perspective of ZAFT rather than the EAF, which is better in a lot of respects because they are generally a more likeable force.

Six said:
As for the 1:1 Impulse Gundam model kit. Like those little model kits you can buy, the Impulse Gundam itself is one of those model kits but in 1:1 scale. It assembles itself in midflight.

If it was 1:1 scale, it would be 18 meters tall!! :shock: And that would be so cool...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following Destiny closely. First decent series anyone at school has ever talked about for starters... It does feel a little forced in places mind you. Episode 21 is a great example - they've been promising us a Kira / Stellar meeting since it began, so how do they make it happen? Stellar Dances off a goddamned cliff. Lol! That ranks among the stupidest things I've ever seen in anime :D

Anyway, Nitty Gritty of speculation. My Four favorite bits of Destiny speculation: (Major spoilers, but still speculation!)

1) Neo = Mwu. Evidence: They have the same VA and Murrue looks majorly shocked in Opening Video 2 to see the face behind Neo's mask... at the very least, this guy has to be another Clone, but I reckon it's Mwu himself.

2) Stellar is Shinn's Sister. Evidence: The theme of the Destiny series, seems to be loss of memory. Stellar also looks quite like Shinn's sister. Aside from this, there isn't really anything concrete, but it seems a possibility to me

3) Haine (Not sure if that name is right. Anyway, the orange haired FAITH member voiced by TM Revolution) will be the first character (though only minor really) to die, possibly killed by Kira.

4) Dearka and Yzak are lovers. Well, it'll never be in the series, but I always get the vibe that there is something between those two ^^

Back