GUNBUSTER new release

Mr B

Student Council President
Bandai are releasing a three disc box set of Gunbuster. Set for release in America on 20/2/07 for $64.99.

This is the remastered version of the film with 5.1 Japanese sound track and newly translated English subtitles. The box set contains all six episodes of Gunbuster plus extras.
  • Episodes 1 - 6, remastered & new subtiles
  • All 6 Science Lessons
  • Promotional Trailers
  • 24 page colour booklet
  • Original delux art box
My VHS copies are getting a bit worn out, so I've placed my order with UP1.com, along with GitS SAC: Solid State Society Limited Edition. Happy, happy. Joy, joy!!!

Good news I wonder how long it will take Beez to release this then? Hopefully sometime soon as its been some years since I have seen this.

I might just go for the import version if it's limited ed or if the UK release is severely delayed. I don't go for expensive editions of anything usually, but for a remastered and exra-shiny version of Gunbuster I think it's worth it.

This is a true classic that's finally getting the treatment it deserves.

I'm certainly not going to be holding my breath waiting for a UK release of Gunbuster.

This is my all time favorite Mecha Anime, with Macross & Gundam falling just behind. Can't believe this was made in 1988, Gainax did a fantastic job.

The quality of the R1 box set and the re-mastered episodes is good (though a metal case would have been a nice touch). Like the review says, there is film grain present in the picture but it doesn't detract from what’s going on (gives it a 35mm film look on a big screen), and the cleaned up audio is hiss free. Personally I think the audio track seems to have suffered slightly from the process, with the voices coming across as sounding a touch on the thin side. The six episodes use the original stereo track, only the extras have a Dolby Digital track available.

One to get if your a fan or not :D Don't know when/if Bandai plan to release Gunbuster in the UK.

--------------------------------------

The blurb on the box and from Bandai says "Re-mastered in HD 24P", huh!? look here and have a mooch around if your keen on that kind of thing.

This HD 24P should mean that the UK gets its own high quality PAL transfer and not a NTSC 480i to Pal 576i transfer. It also gives Bandai the option of releaseing a HD version from the same master copy.

Mr B said:
This HD 24P should mean that the UK gets its own high quality PAL transfer and not a NTSC 480i to Pal 576i transfer. It also gives Bandai the option of releaseing a HD version from the same master copy.
I am reasonably certain that they will. It is presumably under the Honneamise label, which practically ensures a domestic and European release.

Back