Godzilla vs Kong

Dai

Dandy Guy, in Space
Godzilla vs Kong has been bouncing around the release schedule like crazy. First it was due to hit in March 2020, then November, then May 2021, and most recently it's been brought forward to this March. The first trailer finally hit today:

It's interesting that Legendary's Monsterverse has followed a similar trajectory to the original showa Godzilla series, starting with a serious film before getting progressively more over-the-top and bonkers. Thankfully it looks like we'll be able to see what's happening in the action scenes this time too!

Any other Godzilla fans on the forums, or is it just me?

Jon O Fun

Thousand Master
Looking forward to this as I thought Skull Island was great, King of the Monsters was so so but enjoyable.
My biggest worry and something I didn't notice in the trailer until reddit pointed it out was Mechagodzilla... I'm not saying the director of Netflix smash hit Death Note might make it too cheesey.... but you know, the fear is there 😂

Dai

Dandy Guy, in Space
This is the final US Godzilla movie before the rights revert to Toho, so I don't think they should show any self-restraint for this one and just make it as wild as possible. Bring on Mechagodzilla. Hell, give Kong a Mechanikong power suit. My main worry is if Godzilla has been turned into Mechagodzilla via nanomachines or something, rather than it being a separate monster.

Jon O Fun

Thousand Master
This is the final US Godzilla movie before the rights revert to Toho, so I don't think they should show any self-restraint for this one and just make it as wild as possible. Bring on Mechagodzilla. Hell, give Kong a Mechanikong power suit. My main worry is if Godzilla has been turned into Mechagodzilla via nanomachines or something, rather than it being a separate monster.
If it makes money Toho will extend the license I'd imagine.
From the 0.5 second glimpse in the trailer it looks like the humans are charging up a giant Mecha G suit so the theory is thats why Godzilla has gone crazy and they'll team up to bring it down as the opening shot of the trailer seems to show Mecha attacking a city.
Take it all with a pinch of 'reddit' though could be completely off base and its actually a story about human families learning to love each other... because you know that's what I want in a GvK film 🤷‍♂️
And save the MechaKong suit for the Mecha Gidorah fight if they get it.

Dai

Dandy Guy, in Space
Really? I thought they had another Godzilla movie planned for after this, especially with the Mecha King Gidorah tease at the end of King of the Monsters.
One theory is that Ghidorah was an alien bioweapon or cyborg, and so the head becomes the basis for the tech to make Mechagodzilla.

If it makes money Toho will extend the license I'd imagine.
I can't see any big budget movies breaking even this year, especially one dropping in March before most people have been vaccinated and while cinemas may still be closed. The pandemic brings a whole new unwelcome meaning to the phrase, "I'm dying to see that movie."

Besides, Toho have been itching to get back to making live-action Godzilla movies since Shin Godzilla was such a massive domestic hit. That's why they've been circling the edges of their deal with Legendary by making anime versions.

Dai

Dandy Guy, in Space
Well, it's official. Cinemas in the UK won't be reopening until at least 17th May, so there goes any chance of seeing Godzilla vs Kong on the big screen. :(