ghost in the shell: japanese or english dub

cantstraferight

Completely Average High School Student
Hi i bought ghost in the shell and ive never seen it before.

im trying to decide what audio i shold listen too

I have the choice of

5.1 english
2.0 english
2.0 japanese (and Ill use the english subs)

Since I have 5.1 surround sound that puts the 2.0 english out of the picture so now its just down to what one sounds better the 5.1 effects or the orginal Japanese

Japanese audio with English Subs, watch it how it was originally created not with the US voices its 1000% times better that way

Watch it whatever way you want.

I will say dub because that way you do not have to read and instead can focus on enjoying the animation and the actual film. I do not agree that you get anything more out of watching it subbed, actually I think through reading the subs you are missing something more important.

But maybe that’s just me ^^

The dub's fine, but a little flat. The second film and series have better performances, so I'd say stick with the dub as it gets better as you go. (you'll fall asleep from reading line after line of all the philosophising)

But at the end of the day yeah, it's your choice. (watch it twice!)

Watch one with subs and one with dubs? seriously its completley down to you.

I like Elfen lied in subs, but i wouldnt have Tenchi without its dub version. Personal taste > all

WTFDaveMustaine said:
No... she doesn't.

However, in the dub she sounds like a bimbo with a lisp.

I agree she doesn't. She sounds hot

Yeah the Dub makes her sound like she is a new Barbie action figure

Lupus Inu said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
No... she doesn't.

However, in the dub she sounds like a bimbo with a lisp.
So? Bimbo with a lisp>>>Sixty year old.
She doesn't sound old at all. She has the husky kind of voice that fits her character perfectly. A bimbo voice is fine if all you wanna do is a relieve stress but as far as her character goes it just doesn't work. o_O

If we're talking about Stand Alone Complex, then definitely the dub. Motoko sounds great in it, a mix of youngish and oldish authority. It's one of the most professional and convincing dubs around.

i much preferred the sub to the dub so i would say go for the sub, anf i thought motoko's voice was good in the japanese, audio, it doesn't sound old to me

I don't know, personally I find dubs in non-animated films to be quite insulting to the original actors performance since obviously speech is a major part of this..

With anime, it's slightly different in that the physical performance is the animation and the voice is seperate from this as such..

Though saying that.. there's nothing that annoys me more than having people dubbing something that's very much of a different culture with broad American accents for example.. I watched about five minutes of Paranoia Agent like it and that was enough..

But, it really depends on how used you are to dubbing, and also there are obviously certain differences in the dubbed track and the subtitles (space being one factor..)..

One thing that I personally do find of use and wish more subtitlers would do is provide translations of the kanji on screen.. there's nothing worse than have a character stare at important symbol or a piece of writing be held on screen for a minute and not be able to understand it! (and no, I won't learn Japanese.. not yet anyway!)

I think im going to watch it in japanese with subs first ten re watch it with the dub a few days later.

I feel that i would rather rember the movie in japanese than english.

Gott said:
One thing that I personally do find of use and wish more subtitlers would do is provide translations of the kanji on screen.. there's nothing worse than have a character stare at important symbol or a piece of writing be held on screen for a minute and not be able to understand it! (and no, I won't learn Japanese.. not yet anyway!)

I agree, i love subs and dubs in every way but i still dont understand why they leave signs etc un subbed. could be vital to the story.

I've literally just finished watching the last six episodes of GitS SAC 2nd GIG and at the moment haven't watched any of GitS in original language/sub format. I feel that on first viewing, watching any of GitS as a sub would have left me a touch bewildered.

Having complex story lines and detailed dialog. I think anyone trying to follow the dialog and on screen action simultaneously, would be hard pressed to take it all in in one viewing. Probably taking three or four viewings before you could confidently follow the action with out concentrating on the subs too much. But thats just my opinion.

My personal preference is to watch as a sub, as the subtitles tend to give a better representation of the story, where as the dub tends to reflect the market it is aimed at and changes certain aspects of the story to soot that market. As a whole I endeavour to watch everything in it's original language, but where I feel watching something as a dub first would be of benefit, then I will do so.

I recently watched Tenchi Muyo OAV in original language/sub and can say that I'd be happy to watch it as either sub or dub. I prefer some of the English speaking voice actors, but find the translation (sub) to make more sense.

Something that does annoy me, is the exclusion of the original language/sub track by certain distributors :cough: Sony :cough: then having the balls to charge extra for a special edition that includes the original language track.

Now to go and re-watch GisT in order - SAC, SAC 2nd Gig, Movie 1 & 2 ;) SSS will probably find it's place between 2nd Gig and the first movie in terms of it's time line.

Wonder how many times and in how many ways this argument is going to happen. Despite what people say it is personal preference in most cases, sometimes the dub is so vile the sub is better (Crest/Banner of the Stars) other times the Dub give more insight (Rahxephon).

Back