General TV/Movie News & Announcements

Dai

Magical Girl

If this was a teaser released a year before the movie I wouldn't be concerned, but for a trailer coming three months before release there are a worrying number of effects that look worse than the 1999 original. The agent transformations in particular look like something an amateur Youtuber might slap together in After Effects for a laugh.

That said, I'm interested to see what direction this goes.

Eternal chibi

Completely Average High School Student

If this was a teaser released a year before the movie I wouldn't be concerned, but for a trailer coming three months before release there are a worrying number of effects that look worse than the 1999 original. The agent transformations in particular look like something an amateur Youtuber might slap together in After Effects for a laugh.

That said, I'm interested to see what direction this goes.

Wow I didn't realise it was so near to release!

Sadly I was more excited about it before this trailer. I'm just getting a feel there will be a lot of cheap throwbacks and little else.

Also that they didn't ask Fishburne to come back is a crime. I wonder if it is because they plan to use him as a trump card to draw people into a fifth film.

Dai

Magical Girl
I'm just getting a feel there will be a lot of cheap throwbacks and little else.

Also that they didn't ask Fishburne to come back is a crime.
I suspect the movie is going to play around with the concept of identity, and no one will turn out to be quite what they seem. When you consider the elements of the original movie that can be read as a trans narrative, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes as far as people wearing the faces or memories of others as digital avatars, or all the characters being simulations.

As far as the current slate of franchise revivals go, I have a lot more hope for this one than Ghostbusters: Afterlife, since that does look like nothing more than weaponised nostalgia, but I think Dune will be better than both.

Eternal chibi

Completely Average High School Student
I suspect the movie is going to play around with the concept of identity, and no one will turn out to be quite what they seem. When you consider the elements of the original movie that can be read as a trans narrative, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes as far as people wearing the faces or memories of others as digital avatars, or all the characters being simulations.

As far as the current slate of franchise revivals go, I have a lot more hope for this one than Ghostbusters: Afterlife, since that does look like nothing more than weaponised nostalgia, but I think Dune will be better than both.

I hope you are right because that sounds really cool.

I'm very excited for Dune as it's one of my favourite books. I think Denis Villeneuve is very talented and will do a good job, but how good I will have to see. I don't think Arrival and Blade Runner are as good as his other films, but Dune is a little bit different from other sci-fi and it really depends on the characters to carry this one. The expectations are seriously high, I don't envy him!

Whilst I am talking sci-fi, you have probably seen that there will be a Foundation series as well. I am really excited for this one, even more so than what I am for Dune. Lots more hours in a series!

Last edited:

Dai

Magical Girl
Whilst I am talking sci-fi, you have probably seen that there will be a Foundation series as well. I am really excited for this one, even more so than what I am for Dune. Lots more hours in a series!
Yes, it's just a shame that Foundation will be exclusive to Apple's streaming platform. I'm already subscribed to five (I was going to drop HiDive this month, but then they licensed Yuki Yuna season 3 🤷‍♂️ ), and I can't justify a sixth. I'll probably end up doing the same that I did with Disney+: wait until there's a few things I want to watch, subscribe for one month to binge them all, then cancel.

EDIT: I didn't realise it was so close to release. Looks great.

Dai

Magical Girl
Keeping track of the ever-changing slate of upcoming DC movies was hard enough before the pandemic, and at this point I have almost no idea which ones are still getting made. I'm glad to see the Flash movie is definitely happening though. This first look teases a version of a character that I was not expecting to ever see again.

Dai

Magical Girl
Happy Godzilla Day!

It's Godzilla's 67th birthday, and the 50th anniversary of the release of the divisive Godzilla vs Hedorah (aka. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster). In honour of this, Toho have uploaded a new short that sees Godzilla lay the smackdown on Hedorah for going one toke over the line on industrial fumes.

Those look to be the suits from 2004's Godzilla: Final Wars. I'm surprised they've lasted if they're the original shooting suits.