General News/Current Affairs Thread

-Danielle-

Death Scythe
Someone important to me has "symptoms" you'd associate with being a psychopath so this article was really interesting and also hopeful for me to read.
Still a bit lousy said psychopaths need to be asked how they would feel in said position to basically feel empathy but at least they can I guess. The person in my life is exactly like that. I'm always having to ask them "how would you feel if this happened to you" for them to realise what their actions and words can do to others and stuff. Can be tough.

Zin5ki

Railgun
Technology continues to advance at an unforseeable pace. What should I see travelling up Drury Lane today but two young gentlemen riding electric golf bags. Not golf carts, I hasten to add, but simply the bags themselves. Wheels, small motors and footstools facilitated their vehicular function.

ayase said:
Psychopaths do not lack empathy, rather they can switch it on at will, according to new research.

I wonder if, as humanity becomes ever more aware of all the horror in the world, this "empathy switch" isn't actually a useful coping mechanism that anyone can in fact find and enable through desensitization. I don't imagine any soldier, general or politician would get far without this very ability, so it's either more common than they admit or all of those professions are full of psychopaths (which may well be the case, but that in itself poses some pretty big questions about how healthy a society actually run by psychopaths is). Although maybe I'm the wrong person to be questioning it...

Indeed, in order for someone to be classified as psychopathic they have to lack empathy. They also have a callous nature. This can be applied to some of the top leaders/businessmen and other individuals of the world. However, psychopaths can also be very charming and this is why the article alludes to the 'on-off switch' of empathy. I don't think anyone in society adheres to the so-called 100% normal status as everyone has certain predispositions to abnormality. Perhaps ruthless people are needed at the top to make decisions because of their lack of the personal liability and accountability. BUT it is also thanks to these certain groups of people; Bankers, politicians and etc. - who make a living by making decisions without conscience or consequence - that the rest of us have to suffer through this recession. It is an interesting area to research regardless!

Not saying this applies to all bankers, politicians and leaders but it has been noted that they are more likely to have these traits associated with psychopathy.

Animefreak17

Godhand
i read in the mirror that there going to send people who needs surgery to india cause it'll be cheaper,

theres a few things wrong with this

1 even tho it'll be cheap to have surgery how are relieves and loved ones suppose to stay by there side if its going to cost them get on a plane and costs for hotels not knowing how long there going to be in there, also what about work and those who cant travel,

2 if it costs alot then why not lower the costs,

this country has gone to the dogs

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
animefreak17 said:
i read in the mirror that there going to send people who needs surgery to india cause it'll be cheaper,

theres a few things wrong with this

1 even tho it'll be cheap to have surgery how are relieves and loved ones suppose to stay by there side if its going to cost them get on a plane and costs for hotels not knowing how long there going to be in there, also what about work and those who cant travel,

2 if it costs alot then why not lower the costs,

this country has gone to the dogs
You're really underestimating how much some surgeries/operations cost.

Animefreak17

Godhand
its not that im sick of the NHS for screwing up with wrong diagnoses, neglecting the elderly, bad doctors ect ect, we're suppose to trust these people with our lives HELLO *NHS TRUST* let me ask you something

if someone you love was diagnosed with something by a doctor and said * oh its nothing its just this and that* a few weeks later took a turn for the worse because of this doctors diagnosesg,

Kite

Thousand Master
Councils have been told to stop being so anti-motorist in town centres.

Too little, to late.

Public transport & cycling is all good unless you want to buy something big/heavy.

theirsbailiff

School Idol
THREAD NECROMANCY. LIFETIME SUPPLY OF NEWSPAPERS TO GET ANGRY ABOUT WITH EVERY POST AFTER THIS.

Right, now that I've gotten your attention I would like to announce that I've been reading the Opinion polls about Scottish Independence and I've found out some good information:

*If the Polls were to ask a simple Yes/No question, then No would be taking the lead 99% of the time by a lead average of around 15% (The only two times that a Yes vote has been in the lead has them pegged at a 1% lead). However, if the question were to include a 'Devolution Max' option, then Devo Max would have the most votes

*Demographics show that voters who are either under 55, living in economically deprived areas or are male are more likely to vote for independence compared to voters who are either over 55, living in affluent areas or are female.

I've also checked who's endorsing who in the whole independence thing:

*People/Groups for Scottish Independence: SNP (Obviously), Scottish Greens, Willie Walsh (CEO of British Airways),Leanne Wood (Leader of the Welsh Nationalist Party, Plaid Cymru) Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges, Noam Chomsky (American Political Commentator), Sean Connery, Brian Cox, The Proclaimers and Irvine Welsh (Guy who wrote Trainspotting)

*People/Groups against Scottish Independence: Conservative and Unionist Party (AKA the Tories, clue of where they stand is in their name), Labour, Liberal Democrats (Both parties are actually Federalists and would rather see more devolution of powers to Scotland), UKIP (Dunno why they'd get involved), BAE Systens (Defence contractor, which makes sense for them to oppose seeing as they have a set up in Clyde), George Galloway, Peter Robinson (First Minister for Northern Ireland), Ben van Beurden (CEO of Shell), Donald Brydon (Chairman of Royal Mail). Bob Dudley (CEO of BP), John Barrowman*, David Bowie, Susan Boyle, Sir Alex Ferguson, Eddie Izzard, Alex McLeish (Celtic Manager?), David Tennant* and Emma Thompson

*People/Groups who are on Neither side: Aviva, BSkyB, ITV, STV, Next, Standard Life, RBS, Waitrose, a lot of Scottish Uni's, Visit Scotland (Tourism Agency), Billy Connolly and Andy Murray.

*=NOTE: Speaking as a Doctor Who fan (albeit a very casual one who hasn't seen the show since Series 5), I have no idea about the opinions of all the Scottish actors, writers and directors who've worked on the show about the Independence thing. Though I must say, I probably am expecting Moffat's views (Regardless on what side he's on) will annoy some of the users here *Waiving at nobody in particular*

Y-San

Shinki
I assume UKIP are against the idea because they see potential to allure Scottish voters come the 2015 general election? (Assuming Scotland is still part of the UK by that point). Remember the backlash against the conservatives in the previous election? With all but one seat in Scotland going to any party bar the Conservatives? I imagine with Labour lacking the momentum they previously had and the SNP's impending death knell (due to a failed bid on independence), that UKIP will be looking to pick up the pieces. I mean, it is not like anyone will even bother to vote Lib Dem as an alternative this time round, so what do they have to lose? I mean, for them one seat (in Scotland) is better than what they currently have (and one more than I'd like them to have).

I think that reason alone is a decent enough reason to vote 'yes'.

theirsbailiff

School Idol
Lawrence said:
I mean, it is not like anyone will even bother to vote Lib Dem as an alternative this time round, .

No, they still have supporters despite everything. Granted, they're behind a bigger bunch of twats in the opinion polls (Which could either be seen as "Serves them right" or "We're just cutting our noses to spite our faces at this point"), but they still have supporters.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
I received a UKIP leaflet in the mail and I've kept it so I can make some funny images out of it.

Honestly though, the 2015 election is going to be hard. Whenever people I know in other countries ask me about it, I basically say that it's hard not because all the candidates are good, but because we're basically having to pick between the lesser of three evils most of the time. I voted Liberal Democrat in 2010 and erm...no, not again.