Futurama

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
I'm fully aware several of these threads exist and I even went back to look at some of the older ones but since Futurama is starting afresh I thought I might as well do the same. First off, the movies went from pretty good to downright awful for me. I gave Bender's Big Game around a 7 or 8 but the following ones became more and more painful. I think I might have even used a 3 at some stage. Spoilers be ahead.

Anyway, I was hesitant towards the new season because of this but when I watched these (twice) last week I was pretty pumped again. The opening episode "Rebirth" crams so much story into its 20 minutes, my head was spinning and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. I love it when narratives mess with the basic story structure and it continuing on from the last film proper was just the icing. It wrapped up the stories in a way that worked and didn't feel contrived. I did notice Fry sounding and a lot like Billy West for a while though. "It's kind of a Comedy Central." The second episode was more back to its roots and told the kind of tale that it loves to tell, even if I didn't love it so much. I think the problem with the second episode was similar to that of the first (and wouldn't be surprised if it carried over for a few more episodes) - it crams too much story. It worked with the headscratching premiere but I don't think all the V-GINY stuff was necessary at all, even if it made me smile. Zapp is a very broad character but I think he was working quite well with the Adam Eve stuff. Best part, obviously, was Bender doing backflips into the Planet Express.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQNRu27aXxM&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQNRu27aXxM&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

tl;dr: Futurama is good again and I'm looking forward to the rest of this season immensely.

Thoughts?

Back