UK Anime Distributor Funimation UK Discussion Thread (Pre-Manga Merger)

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
UZQ1cMX.png

"You Should Be Watching"

Funimation has had a weird history with the United Kingdom and Ireland. They started off with a distribution deal with MVM Entertainment and eventually moved to Revelation Films until finally sticking with Manga Entertainment UK. However as the years go by, Funimation's deal with Manga came to a close and have now started to release their titles themselves after giving Anime Limited some of them.

This discussion thread will cover all things Funimation related for the UK & Ireland, including their UK streaming service FunimationNow which is still around and kicking in Beta mode. As of October 2016, all new simulcasts will be dubbed only as the subtitled only content will be on Crunchyroll instead.

Funimation titles have been distributed through Anime Limited, Universal Pictures and now under Sony Pictures.

Links to Notable Places

All the Anime - Distributor Anime Limited are selling the titles on Funimation's behalf.
FunimationNow - Funimation's very own streaming site in Beta mode.
Facebook - Funimation's official Facebook page for UK*
Twitter - Funimation's official Twitter page for UK
Twitter Help - Funimation's official Twitter page for UK that involves asking them for support

*(to switch to the US or Ireland pages, go to the 'More' button and select 'Switch Regions')

US counterparts

Funimation - Funimation's main website for United States & Canada
Twitter - Funimation's official Twitter page for US

Last edited:
Licensed & Released

Absolute Duo
Complete Series - Combo Pack - £44.99

Assassination Classroom [Season 1]
Part 1 (Limited Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99
Part 1 - DVD - £29.99
Part 2 - Blu-ray - £39.99
Part 2 - DVD - £29.99

Assassination Classroom [Season 2]
Part 1 (Limited Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99
Part 1 - DVD - £29.99

Attack on Titan: Junior High
Complete Series (Limited Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99
Complete Series - DVD - £29.99

Barakamon

BlazBlue: Alter Memory
Complete Series - Blu-ray - £34.99

Brother's Conflict

Daimidaler: Prince vs Penguin Empire

Fairy Tail
Part 10 - DVD - £24.99
Part 11 - DVD - £24.99
Part 12 - DVD - £24.99
Part 13 - DVD - £24.99
Part 14 - DVD - £24.99
Part 15 - DVD - £24.99
Part 16 - DVD - £24.99
Part 17 - DVD - £24.99
Part 18 - DVD - £24.99
Part 19 - DVD - £24.99
Part 20 - DVD - £24.99
Part 21 - DVD - £24.99

Gonna Be the Twin-Tail!!

Heavy Object
Part 1 - Blu-ray - £34.99
Part 2 - Blu-ray - £34.99

High School DxD BorN

Mikagura School Suite

My Hero Academia [Season 1]
Complete Series (Limited Edition) - Combo Pack - £76.99

No-Rin

Noragami Aragoto

OVERLORD
Complete Series (Limited Edition) - Blu-ray - £44.99

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis

SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

Show By Rock!! [Season 1]

Snow White with the Red Hair
Season 1 - Blu-ray - £34.99
Season 2 - Blu-ray - £34.99

Yona of the Dawn
Part 1 - Combo Pack - £44.99
Part 2 - Combo Pack - £44.99

Yurikuma Arashi

Licensed & Released using Anime Limited branding

Hyouka

Part 1 (Collector's Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99
Part 1 - DVD - £29.99

Prison School

Complete Series (Collector's Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99

Licensed but Not Yet Released

Assassination Classroom [Season 2]
Part 2 (Limited Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99
Part 2 - DVD - £29.99

Attack on Titan [Season 2]
Complete Series (Limited Edition) - Combo Pack - £??.99

Dimension W

Fairy Tail
Part 22 - DVD - £24.99

Hyouka
Part 2 (Collector's Edition) - Blu-ray - £59.99
Part 2 - DVD - £29.99

Ninja Slayer From Animation

Mentioned for Home Video Release but No Updates

Concrete Revolutio
Dagashi Kashi
Tenchi Muyo! GXP

Last edited:
This discussion thread will cover all things Funimation related for the UK & Ireland, including their UK streaming service FunimationNow which is still around and kicking in Beta mode. As of October 2016, all new simulcasts will be dubbed only as the subtitled only content will be on Crunchyroll instead.
I had to read this part like 10 times; are they saying that Funimation now will ONLY be hosting dubbed simulcasts, while Crunchyroll will ONLY be hosting subbed simulcasts (so if a show has both options, it'll be split between the services?)? I'm not quite sure I understand why that's the case if so.

I had to read this part like 10 times; are they saying that Funimation now will ONLY be streaming dubbed simulcasts, while Crunchyroll will ONLY be streaming subbed simulcasts (so if a show has both options, it'll be split between the services?)? I'm not quite sure I understand why that's the case.

That's correct. Both Crunchyroll and Funimation formed a partnership in September.

Funimation's entire catalogue will be on Crunchyroll in subtitled form, while select Crunchyroll licensed titles will be dubbed by Funimation and placed on Funimation Now.

In addition Funimation will also be distributing Crunchyroll licensed titles for Blu-ray & DVD in North America.

Funimation's entire catalogue will be on Crunchyroll in subtitled form, while select Crunchyroll licensed titles will be dubbed by Funimation and placed on Funimation Now.
Ah-ha. So if I want to watch a series dubbed I have to subscribe to Funimation Now, and if I want to watch the same series subbed I have to subscribe to Crunchyroll? Or is the partnership likely to entail some sort of unified subscription?

Ah-ha. So if I want to watch a series dubbed I have to subscribe to Funimation Now, and if I want to watch the same series subbed I have to subscribe to Crunchyroll? Or is the partnership likely to entail some sort of unified subscription?

Subscriptions are separate. CR only accounts to CR. Funi only accounts to Funi.

In other words, if you want to watch dub and sub, you'll need two subscriptions.

Setup still seems a little odd to me, as surely this means Crunchyroll gets everything except the dubs, while Funimation Now only gets the few shows that actually receive a dub, yet the subscription prices are about the same? I like a good dub as much as the next person, but it doesn't seem like a great deal? Maybe I'm underestimating the draw of a dub.

But thanks for the explanations!

Not sure this thread makes sense. For example, is Assassination Classroom Funimation or Anime Limited. Andrew has seemingly changed his mind, he originally said it was an Anime Limited, now he says it's a Funimation release, but both parts have AL product codes? It's a mess.

I think keeping them grouped, like Manga Aniamtsu's is, would make more sense.

I agree that it's very confusing at the moment. However, I don't hear that much about the Funi titles (I only realised some of them were actually coming out soon when the reviewers here checked them out!) so they do seem to get completely buried under the usual AoA/Gundam delays/digipak versus steelbook shenanigans in the AL thread.

One thing I'm always curious about with the Funi titles is differences between the UK and US release as those can directly affect my purchasing decisions, and it's a unique situation when it's a US company pulling the strings for us but with feedback being passed on when we give it - with MVM or Manga the differences are usually completely out of their control. I'm talking about things like PAL mastering (boo), region changes (boo) or changes between the combo/single or standard/special edition offerings. It's not well communicated ahead of release by the companies for obvious reasons but I can see value in a resource for fans, by fans which keeps an eye on the latest news.

If we can start getting actual information out of Kaze I'd also welcome a Kaze thread. The split between Manga and Animatsu seems to be sort of a non-event now that Manga have patched things up for Jerome.

R

I agree that it's very confusing at the moment. However, I don't hear that much about the Funi titles (I only realised some of them were actually coming out soon when the reviewers here checked them out!) so they do seem to get completely buried under the usual AoA/Gundam delays/digipak versus steelbook shenanigans in the AL thread.

R

I suspect the only thing you'd hear is "Holy crap these are expensive!", although AL seems to be working on that.

I really don't see a Limited Edition of AOT: Junior High selling all that well, bit of a risk. Probably would do better as a standard IMO

Was Concrete Revolutio confirmed?! :D Cause that's an awesome surprise! For me at least cause sadly, I don't see it shifting much

What cases are they using for the UK releases? Are they the UK standard with the overly thick cases or more in line with the US which are alot thinner? Also are the UK releases getting slipcovers?

What cases are they using for the UK releases? Are they the UK standard with the overly thick cases or more in line with the US which are alot thinner? Also are the UK releases getting slipcovers?
The UK releases use standard width Elite blu-ray cases, though no slipcover because it would require the SRP to be £5 higher.

So the thicker ones then? That's a real shame.

They're the same ones Funi uses for their series combi pack releases, they have a slight curve to them on the spine. Apart from the slipcover they're not really much different to the USA ones. Going forward most of them will be split releases for blu-ray & dvd apart from those already announced for release before the announcement of split releases so they could be the USA standard like AssClass was but mostly just the UK standard.

I'm curious. What is Code Geass's license like in the UK. Does Kaze still hold rights over it, or did it return to Funimation?

Reason I'm asking since I want to know if I can be hopeful to a new and better blu-ray release for it in the UK, or should I look at my importing options?

Back