UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

i've noticed recently in japan they've been having cross promotions with Thunderbirds and Space Battleship Yamato, as someone that has a deep love for Thunderbirds and other stuff Gerry Anderson would it be worth trying out Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199?

i've noticed recently in japan they've been having cross promotions with Thunderbirds and Space Battleship Yamato, as someone that has a deep love for Thunderbirds and other stuff Gerry Anderson would it be worth trying out Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199?

As I've posted before, Yamato 2199 is quite similar to Battlestar Galactica - they've even plagiarized shared ideas and scenes, both the original SBY and BSG series from the 1970's and the newer series of both. There are a few scenes in 2199 that were basically taken from the 2005 SciFi Channel BSG remake series, for example the send-off scenes for those fallen in battle. And, one of the background musical scores that plays near the end of almost every episode in 2199 uses the first line of melody from the 1970's Battlestar Galactica OP - I really perked up when I first noticed that. So if you were a fan of either Battlestar Galactica series, you'll definitely like Yamato 2199.

I was also a big fan of the Thunderbirds too, I watched the series religiously every Sunday back in the 1960's when it first aired on US TV.

Last edited:
As I've posted before, Yamato 2199 is quite similar to Battlestar Galactica - they've even plagiarized shared ideas and scenes, both the original SBY and BSG series from the 1970's and the newer series of both. There are a few scenes in 2199 that were basically taken from the 2005 SciFi Channel BSG remake series, for example the send-off scenes for those fallen in battle. And, one of the background musical scores that plays near the end of almost every episode in 2199 uses the first line of melody from the 1970's Battlestar Galactica OP - I really perked up when I first noticed that. So if you were a fan of either Battlestar Galactica series, you'll definitely like Yamato 2199.

I was also a big fan of the Thunderbirds too, I watched the series religiously every Sunday back in the 1960's when it first aired on US TV.
it's funny you mention similarities to the BSG series, i bought the remake series pretty cheaply on blu-ray and have still yet to watch it so i guess i should give that a shot first, at this point i think i've had it nearly 10 years and still somehow never watched it

OMG, the BSG re-make series is still my most favorite television series of all time! I actually showed all four seasons to the next door neighbor couple two summers ago up on the big projection screen in my theater room, and they fell in love with the show too - they got into it so much that we finished all 76 hour-long episodes in about 6 weeks of evening marathon binges, 3 or 4 nights a week, they were coming over so often, lol. So get on the stick and start watching it!

Last edited:
OMG, the BSG re-make series is still my most favorite television series of all time! I actually showed all four seasons to the next door neighbor couple two summers ago up on the big projection screen in my theater room, and they fell in love with the show too - they got into it so much that we finished all 76 hour-long episodes in about 6 weeks of evening marathon binges, 3 or 4 nights a week, they were coming over so often, lol. So get on the stick and start watching it!
i was kinda waiting it out for a non 108050i release of Caprica to watch the entire series but that still hasn't happened yet and it's probably a bad time to get this urge to give in and watch it as i've just got the Smallville boxset on blu-ray which i've been waiting 11 years for

meh, Caprica wasn't all that great - it's a prequel set 58 years before the BSG series, it aired a year after BSG, has an entirely different cast, and was cancelled after just 1 season. I do have the Blu-ray set for that series as well, but we didn't even bother to watch that. The BSG remake series itself is tremendous and has a proper ending. You just need to make sure you DON'T start with Episode 1, titled "33" - you have to watch the 3-hour 2003 Pilot miniseries first, which is included on a separate disc with the Season 1 Blu-ray discs, iirc...

And just real quick off-the-cuff, and nothing related to outer space, but my second favorite TV series of all time was another SciFi Channel show, a 4.5 hour 6-episode miniseries from 2006 called "The Lost Room," I would highly recommend that one to anyone as well, although it was only ever released on DVD. I showed that to my neighbors too, and they really loved it. These were the only two live action series I ever showed them, the rest of what we watch is all anime.

Ok, better get back on topic. Funimation. Hmm, lets see - I'm pre-ordering just the Knights of Sidonia Movie Blu-ray from their US April release slate... :)

Last edited:
Looks like UP1 has got stock of Golden Kamuy Season 1 in. So it's finally going to be released.
golden-kamuy.gif

Huh, Yamato 2199 is a show that just never appealed to me from the little I've heard of it, but the BSG remake is one I've my favourite series ever too (although it is beaten by at least Firefly to the top spot).

Gonna have to give Yamato a try after reading this, I'm totally blaming you if I don't like it though. :p

Supposedly another BSG remake is still in the works, dunno how I feel about that, but the guy behind Mr. Robot, Sam Esmail, seems to be involved, so I'm cautiously optimistic, it does seem to be stuck in development hell though.

Huh, Yamato 2199 is a show that just never appealed to me from the little I've heard of it, but the BSG remake is one I've my favourite series ever too (although it is beaten by at least Firefly to the top spot).

Gonna have to give Yamato a try after reading this, I'm totally blaming you if I don't like it though. 😛

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is in my Top 5 anime of all time, so you'd better like it, lol. ;)😅

New release list up.

LE:
Demon Slayer Mugen Train April 4th
Wonder Egg Priority May 2nd
Hinamatsuri May 30th

Standard
One Piece Gold March 21st
My Hero Academia Season 5 Part 1 April 4th
Fruits Basket Complete Season 1 April 18th
Fruits Basket Complete Season 2 June 27th
Dr Stone Season 2 April 4th
Wonder Egg Priority May 2nd
Kemono Jihen May 9th
Knights of Sidonia: Love Woven in the Stars May 9th
Hinamatsuri May 30th
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2 Part 1 May 25th
Black Clover Complete Season 4 June 13th
One Piece Collection 25 April 4th
One Piece Collection 26 May 16th
One Piece Collection 27 June 27th

As far as I can see that's all the new releases on the list

We're finally getting Hinamatsuri and a LE at that, sometimes we do live in the best timeline.

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train LE I'll be getting of course and despite Wonder Egg Priority's ending, I've loved the look of that LE set since I saw it announced for the US a few weeks back so I'll get that as well.

One Piece Film: Gold has taken I don't know how long but better late than never and to be fair, I still don't own Strong World so not like I've been in a rush myself.

Glad to see complete season sets for Fruits Basket as well.

I do notice though that we are not getting a LE of Dr. Stone: Stone Wars despite season one getting one and the US getting a LE for Stone Wars as well.

Back