UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I wonder what's going to happen with One Piece here?

We've just had Collection 24, with no indication of when 25 will release. In the US, they're up to 28, and from 26 onwards, they are BD/DVD combo releases (Region A Blu-rays). I hope this doesn't go the way of Boruto.

caved in got the first 2 collections (24 episode boxsets) of Fairy tail on blu-ray pretty cheap locally so if there's anything to predict it's that funi will probably announce the guild collections in the near future knowing my luck

Thank you for your service,
I'm waiting on the guild collection for part 23-26, but I think the Australian's will have to get that first before they contemplate a UK release, and even that might be hoping for a bit too much with funimation UK (I have the AUS guild collection 1-6).
But if the Australian's get it then maybe I can import to make it look similar.

Hoping for Funmation UK to license and release Sound! Euphonium season 2. And if they re-release the first season, I would'nt mind double dipping. I just want to own the whole series. Both seasons, Liz and the Blue Bird and Sound! Euphonium: The Movie – Our Promise: A Brand New Day. Why are my favorite anime always (Sound! Euphonium, Oniisama e, Sailor Moon, Rose of Versailles, March Comes in like a Lion to give you some examples), the ones that are either unpopular or never get licensed due to it being either too difficult or too expensive 🙃

Why are my favorite anime always (Sound! Euphonium, Oniisama e, Sailor Moon, Rose of Versailles, March Comes in like a Lion to give you some examples), the ones that are either unpopular or never get licensed due to it being either too difficult or too expensive 🙃

Preach!

I've just had to get used to the fact that I am not the majority of UK anime fans. I had hoped for something with the Funimation takeover of Manga. The last few years of its existence, Manga existed on the back of shonen and isekai, as well as recycling their back catalogue. And now that Funimation have taken over, they're keeping on with the shonen and isekai emphasis, with just the rare departure like New Game, Nichijou and Fruits Basket.

They leave half their catalogue (to me the interesting half) in the US, and I'm left checking for Region B compatibility to import. I'm currently watching Funimation's Konohana Kitan and loving it.

I can even see them losing the old Manga licenses, as I suspect that Manga really only exists as a licencing entity as the US ghost held by Anchor Bay.

We could see a day when the Ghost in the Shell properties get a sublicenced Ultimate Edition treatment from Anime Limited.

The question is whether Funimation UK is Manga in any way, name, or shape any more. If Manga only really exists as a US entity as part of Anchor Bay, then Manga properties will have to be licenced from them, which means any one could get them.
Manga US was a subsidiarity of Manga UK, it's Manga UK that was on the production committee as the parent company.

Hoping for Funmation UK to license and release Sound! Euphonium season 2. And if they re-release the first season, I would'nt mind double dipping. I just want to own the whole series. Both seasons, Liz and the Blue Bird and Sound! Euphonium: The Movie – Our Promise: A Brand New Day.
I caved in and got the US versions of the movies and the Malaysian copy for season 2. The problem I have is what am I supposed to do for season three, when it's eventually comes out .... somewhere?

It's getting to the point where the easiest (only?) option is to learn Japanese.

They leave half their catalogue (to me the interesting half) in the US, and I'm left checking for Region B compatibility to import. I'm currently watching Funimation's Konohana Kitan and loving it.
Konohana Kitan is so good! ❤️ I recommend checking out the original manga too, Tokyopop has released 9 volumes of it in English so far!

I caved in and got the US versions of the movies and the Malaysian copy for season 2.
Are the US versions Region B compatible or will I have to own a region free player in order to watch them?

I caved in and got the US versions of the movies and the Malaysian copy for season 2. The problem I have is what am I supposed to do for season three, when it's eventually comes out .... somewhere?

It's getting to the point where the easiest (only?) option is to learn Japanese.
I did exactly the same. This series and A Place Further Than The Universe are two that I got Malaysian versions of as I really wanted hard copies, not just streaming access, and was fed up of waiting for Western releases. But yeah, time to learn some Japanese, though by the time I manage that I will probably need to learn Cantonese/Mandarin/both?!?
Are the US versions Region B compatible or will I have to own a region free player in order to watch them?
The US version of Liz & the Bluebird that I have is region A only so needs a multi-region player unfortunately.

Sadly, both Liz and the Blue Bird and Sound! Euphonium: The Movie – Our Promise: A Brand New Day are region A, but both come with a DVD as well, so you can always buy it in the expectation that one day you'll break and buy a multi region BR player.

I see with Yona of the Dawn that they’re bringing the Essentials label over to the UK, but they’ve left the Essentials budget pricing back in the US.

Most of them just seem to be the US covers atm, once the covers are finalized I could see the Essentials label not even being on there, but I'm just guessing really.

It will be the moment of truth if anyone receives Golden Kamuy at the end of the month. I have higher priority purchases atm, so no GK for me yet.

I see with Yona of the Dawn that they’re bringing the Essentials label over to the UK, but they’ve left the Essentials budget pricing back in the US.
They're just using US artwork with some tweaks as placeholders, the final version will remove the border just like War on Geminar did.

Interesting they have yet to promote the LE artwork for Attack on Titan Final Season though, which could be a case of whether they actually intend to bring the US LE over or do their own variation.

Back