UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Wonder what will happen with non Funimation releases from Manga uk, I would like them to continue with Jojo for instance. Would be sad if they can only do Funi releases from now on.
I think it'll stay the same since non-Funimation Manga licenses have shown up on Funimation. If no one else has the license I see no reason why Funimation won't go for it

Isn’t their rumors Jerome is gone so not the same team.

That was a drive by post by a one-post wonder a while back with no corroboration, source or reference. So it's probably true.

I hate Funimation a little bit more today. I knew it was coming the moment the PR team starting changing their e-mail addresses, but it still feels like some rich Amarican has come over, torn down a beloved landmark, and put up a shopping mall.

Wonder what will happen with non Funimation releases from Manga uk, I would like them to continue with Jojo for instance. Would be sad if they can only do Funi releases from now on.

I Tweeted a question at them, and they said that the Manga logo will stay for continuity on Dragon Ball Z releases, but most everything else will be Funimation, and they deliberately didn't mention non-Funimation titles. It will be ironic if they wind up losing stuff like Ghost in the Shell, where Manga Entertainment's name still exists on the production committee, because they can only release Funimation stuff.

I Tweeted a question at them, and they said that the Manga logo will stay for continuity on Dragon Ball Z releases, but most everything else will be Funimation, and they deliberately didn't mention non-Funimation titles.
Sad if that is the truth, don't like the Australian blu rays having the large ass age rating thing and it is more convenient for me to buy uk releases than Australian ones.

It's kinda fitting that Manga would phase out after they completed their shounen releases like DBZ Hunter X Hunter 2011 and Fairy Tail.

They will still be around, but things will be change a lot.
We could get a lot of shows that people wanted for year's.
The possibility death of DVD verisons for anime. (I will miss you DVD format)
It's going to be different.

I figured it was only a matter of time before this happened but it's still pretty disheartening. It's not like Manga is a company worth much stock these days, and having more corporate oversight might actually improve the quality & release schedule of their titles (wishful thinking) but I'm still sad to see such an iconic and recognizable staple of the western licensing scene finally disappear.

Mostly I'm sad because this all but confirms that any potential future Macross titles in the UK will come via Funimation, if at all. The disks might be cheaper (& of dubious quality), but just imagining what Anime Limited could have done with that franchise is extremely depressing.

So what are they chances the "more anime" means when Funimation actually license a show it will be getting a UK release. We've been missing out on a lot of stuff. And yeah this was only a matter of time I'm surprised it took this long to be honest.

As I wrote on twitter but slightly longer :)

I outright refused to buy Manga UK titles since 2012~2013 so loosing the brand doesn't change much for me

I only purchased a few releases I considered must have like Zombie Land Saga and Hosada films. Otherwise they would have to be heavily reduced for me to consider then

As long as Jerome has nothing to do with Funimation Uk I'll be happy to start buying from them again

If this means that manga (funimationUK) will now not be doing any releases of non-funi titles, then at the very least I am glad that we were able to snatch a CE release for Clannad before they left. Curious what will happen with the supposed K-ON release coming up though then.

I figured it was only a matter of time before this happened but it's still pretty disheartening. It's not like Manga is a company worth much stock these days, and having more corporate oversight might actually improve the quality & release schedule of their titles (wishful thinking) but I'm still sad to see such an iconic and recognizable staple of the western licensing scene finally disappear.

Mostly I'm sad because this all but confirms that any potential future Macross titles in the UK will come via Funimation, if at all. The disks might be cheaper (& of dubious quality), but just imagining what Anime Limited could have done with that franchise is extremely depressing.
Sure it would be great for Anime Limited to release the Macross franchise but after all this time I'll be happy enough that we could be getting a release at all.
If this means that manga (funimationUK) will now not be doing any releases of non-funi titles, then at the very least I am glad that we were able to snatch a CE release for Clannad before they left. Curious what will happen with the supposed K-ON release coming up though then.
Again, with non-Funimation Manga titles joining their streaming service I doubt Funimation will stop going for other series. If no one else in the UK has the rights to a series then it's free game

Last edited:
Titles licenced by Manga will stay under licence until that licence expires. Whether the original IP holders and licensors and sublicensors will deal with Funimation to renew those licenses instead of Manga is yet to be seen. Or whether Funimation will want to renew those titles anyway,

Back