UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

i guess that explains why after years of being OOP the first 2 collections of Fairy Tail suddenly slowly popped back in stock around christmas i just hope Manga is more open to releasin more olderish funi releases i'm still waiting on Chio's School Road, Hinamatsuri and Dragon Maid and while i do know these are B compatible i'd rather have local copies and save what has no chance in coming over for importing
Same here.
I mostly rather buy the UK versions of shows that I love.
Also import fees are a pain.
I would buy Hinamataru, Dragon Maid and Chio's School Road BD in a heartbeat if MangaUK releases them in Q3 or Q4.

As much I love MangaUK Funimation releases I wish there was more genre diversity. I love action anime as much as MangaUK but we need more slice of life, comedy and romance shows.
I’d hazard to say that most of what we’re missing in the UK are Sentai titles in the US (and Discotek, but you’d only release Discotek titles in the UK if you wanted to go immediately bankrupt). ADV UK is indeed missed, at least by me. They’re the only major UK distributor who went away and hasn’t been functionally replaced.

Manga has always done mass-market stuff that’s pretty much a sure thing, they and Funi were probably destined to be together. AL is a (much) improved Beez and MVM are still chugging away doing a good job of picking up some of the gems the other two don’t or won’t, but Neo ADV will probably never dare overstretch themselves again lest history repeat itself, and a lot of their titles would be a big gamble for MVM.

I’d hazard to say that most of what we’re missing in the UK are Sentai titles in the US (and Discotek, but you’d only release Discotek titles in the UK if you wanted to go immediately bankrupt). ADV UK is indeed missed, at least by me. They’re the only major UK distributor who went away and hasn’t been functionally replaced.

Manga has always done mass-market stuff that’s pretty much a sure thing, they and Funi were probably destined to be together. AL is a (much) improved Beez and MVM are still chugging away doing a good job of picking up some of the gems the other two don’t or won’t, but Neo ADV will probably never dare overstretch themselves again lest history repeat itself, and a lot of their titles would be a big gamble for MVM.
In the days of ADV UK there were many series that even they didn't release, Maburaho being a huge miss, they went for Cromartie High school instead, which was always a weird pick, So in saying ADV released the quality here, it was patchy, some of the releases were solid, Noir, Eva, Madlax etc but there were a few dead loss leaders, Jinki Extend being an own goal.
We won't see those days again but there is still 3 distros in the UK and solid ones, we usually only have 1 or 2, Manga go between quiet and flooding the market, depending who calls the shots, now Funi have the purse strings, you'll only see what will sell. MVM have been on a slow burn for pretty much since the VHS days, a stable and reliable distro, learned the hard way about what is viable in the UK and plugged away since.
AL the new boy, full of "whizz bang, look at me" energy, tend to be hit and miss with quality of releases (IMHO) still in the learning phase as all distros have to be for the initial few years, we'll see if they finally learn how to work out how to schedule releases properly, since that does seem to be a bugbear for them (IMHO)

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the MVM thread or this thread, but seeing as it's a Manga title, I got a dispatch e-mail from MVM today, saying that my order has been shipped (it consisted of 2 pre-orders, SSSS.Gridman LE (which already arrived yesterday) and Zombie Land Saga LE), so seeing as MVM only sends dispatch e-mails once the entire order has been shipped, something tells me that Zombie Land Saga LE is shipping early, but I could be wrong and I got the e-mail too early.

I think I saw on Grav's twittter that they had received a shipping confirmation as well for Zombieland Saga, so I don't think its an error.

I ordered it quite towards the end of the 20% code, so mine will probably be shipped tomorrow or Monday I guess.

Bar like Black Clover S2, and Radiant it seems the RRP of their standard sets has increased from £29.99 to £39.99

I wonder if this is a sign of them increasing the general price of the standard sets to be inline with the US prices.

I think I saw on Grav's twittter that they had received a shipping confirmation as well for Zombieland Saga, so I don't think its an error.

I ordered it quite towards the end of the 20% code, so mine will probably be shipped tomorrow or Monday I guess.
Yeah I had attempted delivery today (15 mins after I left the flat, plus there was no one at the reception so the postman couldn't deliver the parcels).

I really dont understand the logic behind WMGC getting an CE over Demon Lord or Slime. Its not as good as those shows, nor as popular. It doesn't even have a whole lot of fan service or anything either.

But they have the data we can’t tell for sure it had less viewers. Like Sound seemed popular but I know now it didn’t do well for CR and the cinemas releases in America either also the fact no one talks about it anymore might make me sad but shows a lot.

I really dont understand the logic behind WMGC getting an CE over Demon Lord or Slime. Its not as good as those shows, nor as popular. It doesn't even have a whole lot of fan service or anything either.
It was the same with Ancient Magus' Bride. I thought that anime was wonderful but it only got the standard release treatment.

When the topic of 'what titles should be replicated over here' was brought up a while back, I made the guess pretty well. The obvious one for consistency was Attack on Titan and Fruits Basket, while the newer titles I considered SSSS.GRIDMAN and ZOMBIE LAND SAGA based on its popularity and reception. Demon Lord is a fun show but the release gap between the UK & US meant that the sales would be affected if the LE were to be brought over (since some folks would go for the US to play it safe as I did). Slime, from my perspective, probably suffered from nobody knowing what was going on until the last moment since Funimation keeps changing their format, for instance, last year some titles had LE only releases (Death March, FMP IV, Love Live Sunshine S2) then another few titles got LEs with the other half of the show (Black Clover, RADIANT, Slime, Tokyo Ghoul:re - and I expect Fire Force to join the ranks). The point is, the show started off as a standard release then as soon as Part 2 was scheduled Funi offers an LE out of nowhere. RADIANT started a little bit later so it had a better choice for those fans.

But I'm surprised that RADIANT got the treatment over here, then again it's one of those shows that I might check out someday. Wise Man's Grandchild is another one of those isekai's that did pretty well for streaming by the looks of it and outside of the action scenes the show overall was silly fun. For future titles I would like to see Quintessential Quintuplets be brought over with an LE but it appears that romantic shows don't sell. If it does get brought over and gets the LE treatment, it might be the last hope for any future Funi romance titles to come over by my guess.

When the topic of 'what titles should be replicated over here' was brought up a while back, I made the guess pretty well. The obvious one for consistency was Attack on Titan and Fruits Basket, while the newer titles I considered SSSS.GRIDMAN and ZOMBIE LAND SAGA based on its popularity and reception. Demon Lord is a fun show but the release gap between the UK & US meant that the sales would be affected if the LE were to be brought over (since some folks would go for the US to play it safe as I did). Slime, from my perspective, probably suffered from nobody knowing what was going on until the last moment since Funimation keeps changing their format, for instance, last year some titles had LE only releases (Death March, FMP IV, Love Live Sunshine S2) then another few titles got LEs with the other half of the show (Black Clover, RADIANT, Slime, Tokyo Ghoul:re - and I expect Fire Force to join the ranks). The point is, the show started off as a standard release then as soon as Part 2 was scheduled Funi offers an LE out of nowhere. RADIANT started a little bit later so it had a better choice for those fans.

But I'm surprised that RADIANT got the treatment over here, then again it's one of those shows that I might check out someday. Wise Man's Grandchild is another one of those isekai's that did pretty well for streaming by the looks of it and outside of the action scenes the show overall was silly fun. For future titles I would like to see Quintessential Quintuplets be brought over with an LE but it appears that romantic shows don't sell. If it does get brought over and gets the LE treatment, it might be the last hope for any future Funi romance titles to come over by my guess.

Thanks for the explanation there.
For romance titles, if Quints can't do it then what hope would any romance/harem anime have? :)

while we're on the subject of weird LE choices, was it ever mentioned why Franxx didn't get one? i thought that show was pretty popular, i saw my fair share of zero two cosplays online a lot so i assumed it was

Back