UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Not sure if your just joking but do you know you're meant to peal off the opaque protective layer? It looks rather nice once you do.
I have tried to see if there was any as there was a protective layer on the back cover. I think I received a bad batch that's all.

EDIT: Here's what it looks like from an angle. if you can find anything that looks like a layer then tell me lol

FNFOY53X0AASYnj

Last edited:
I have tried to see if there was any as there was a protective layer on the back cover. I think I received a bad batch that's all.
The back one was like a sticky sheet. The front one is a thin film. It can be needlessly hassly to remove. I think the cutting makes the edge hard to catch but if you persevere and rub/pick at an edge it will eventually come off.

All of rhe Funimation acrylic stands/keyrings are like this annoyingly. I once spent like 10mins on one of them to get it off.

The back one was like a sticky sheet. The front one is a thin film. It can be needlessly hassly to remove. I think the cutting makes the edge hard to catch but if you persevere and rub/pick at an edge it will eventually come off.

All of rhe Funimation acrylic stands/keyrings are like this annoyingly. I once spent like 10mins on one of them to get it off.
The thing is I don't ever recall Death March having this issue.

An update on this. Good news is that there is in fact another layer on the front (found 1 of the 4 at least), but it's so badly designed that you wouldn't even notice unless you basically damage the look. Not even the instructions mentioned it.

It's just a brand change. It's not like Manga turning Funimaton and effectively ditching the Manga content. In this case it was actually Funimation that bought Crunchyroll. They are the bigger fish in this relationship. It's probably just the Sony overseers dictating that the brand with the greatest global awareness should be on the letterhead. And let's face it, more people in the world as a whole know Crunchyroll compared to Funimation.

The most that will happen is that the logo will change on the Blu-rays.

Isn't that guys tweet somewhat reaching? CR's answer basically says nothing other than they cannot comment on compensation rates and the guy immediately accuses them of 'squeezing translators with sub-minimum-wage rates'.

What even is 'sub-minimum-wage rates'? If people deemed that CR was paying too little to translate subtitles then they wouldn't take the jobs.

Isn't that guys tweet somewhat reaching? CR's answer basically says nothing other than they cannot comment on compensation rates and the guy immediately accuses them of 'squeezing translators with sub-minimum-wage rates'.

What even is 'sub-minimum-wage rates'? If people deemed that CR was paying too little to translate subtitles then they wouldn't take the jobs.
We could say the same for the animation industry's notoriously low rates and yet the industry still puts out a ridiculous 60 shows a season. Like animators, translators are also doing this out of love for the medium and are similarly exploited by their employers.

This video covers the subject pretty well.

Last edited:
We could say the same for the animation industry's notoriously low rates and yet the industry still puts out a ridiculous 60 shows a season. Like animators, translators are also doing this out of love for the medium and are similarly exploited by their employers.

This video covers the subject pretty well.
Not sure why you are bringing up the number of shows of anime that are produced per season into this discussion, it has nothing to do with how much translators are paid by CR. In any case it's a silly argument seeing as there are over 500 animation studios in Japan, if there are only 60 shows per season that means there are potentially around 440 animation studios currently not involved in an anime being broadcast.

I see that they are talking a big deal about how $80 per episode is terrible rates for the translators, but if you look online you can hire people to translate Japanese audio to English text for $1 per minute, which would be about $25 per episode. If you want to go for better quality English transcriptions then it's about $3 per minute. If anything CR could cut costs here and pay less for the English subs if they shopped around.

Back